Archer's Place, Marietta Ga...??

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There was a good point a few posts back about pent up energy due to corona. Many people have pockets of money and nowhere to spend it now. When things go back to full speed ahead, it will be a boom town for any business positioned to take that cash. How can pool rooms position themselves to be the beneficiary?

middleofnowhere

Registered
Yeah true. I’ve been to dozens of rooms and never saw that either. A customer would have to flag down the houseman to see any merchandise. I would imagine if the houseman went right over on his own, opened the glass and handed a fancy cue to a customer, there would be exponentially more sales.

Now with the internet though idk if a poolroom should even have a retail section. It might not be worth the square footage.
Anything, and I mean anything that brings a face through that door has value. You never know what a customer may be worth.

I was once in an auto parts store wearing one of my shirts and a guy asked me where the pool room was. I introduced myself I gave him a card and next thing you know he shows up. Over the next six or seven years this guy was probably the best customer I ever had.

It's actually points out two things, the value of me being a walking billboard for my business always wearing my shirts. That I also gave away every night we had drawings for shirts and a business card.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt a pro player's name adds anything to the business. Not to mention that nobody knows who the hell they are anyway, they're only celebrities within a minuscule subculture.

Also almost historically pool players are not very good businessmen or managers. In fact the whole basis of the lifestyle that allowed them to become the level player they are, is based on a selfish irresponsibility of time. They are a walking catch 22.

As a former pool room owner I've had pool players work for me including a former world champion. They were the worst employees I ever had.

In fact the world champion he didn't want to do any work at all. Add to that he was constantly borrowing money. He also lost me customers because he would borrow money from them.

Because they didn't know how to say no it was easier to stop coming in anymore.
Bottom line, a pro player has nothing to do with the success of a room.
A knowledgeable owner and staff is very important but they don't need to be a world champion players.
I am not saying that a very famous pro player name in any sport will do anything for the success of a business in terms of food quality, service, etc. - what I am certain though, is that many FIRST time customers, tourist customers, sports oriented customers, etc. WILL likely gravitate to an establishment at least initially as part of their being a fan of a particular sport or pro player legend. I can guarantee you that thousands of people in the NYC area and tourists alike went to Mickey Mantle's when it first opened because of the name affiliation- the same was also the case in Stamford Ct with Bobby Valentine's restaurant/bars. In both cases the food and service was very good and they developed significant repeat business from those initial fan visits to their establishments.
Also, sports legend namesake establishments often are littered with sports memorabilia , sports TV broadcasting, etc. etc. that draw folks in for their general love of a specific sport. Bobby Valentines establishments in Stamford Ct was a treasure trove of sports memorabilia.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I am not saying that a very famous pro player name in any sport will do anything for the success of a business in terms of food quality, service, etc. - what I am certain though, is that many FIRST time customers, tourist customers, sports oriented customers, etc. WILL likely gravitate to an establishment at least initially as part of their being a fan of a particular sport or pro player legend. I can guarantee you that thousands of people in the NYC area and tourists alike went to Mickey Mantle's when it first opened because of the name affiliation- the same was also the case in Stamford Ct with Bobby Valentine's restaurant/bars. In both cases the food and service was very good and they developed significant repeat business from those initial fan visits to their establishments.
Also, sports legend namesake establishments often are littered with sports memorabilia , sports TV broadcasting, etc. etc. that draw folks in for their general love of a specific sport. Bobby Valentines establishments in Stamford Ct was a treasure trove of sports memorabilia.

If we are discussing NYC and the reason why specific establishments become popular, sometimes their is an underground black market providing services that are exclusive or on select dates.

NYC recently decriminalized prostitution however there are no publicly advertised brothels in NY.

Cuedup

I grew up in the Atlanta area, but it's been nearly 40 years since I left. Is there something going on up in Cartersville now? I know Atlanta has grown a lot, but Cartersville used to be sort of "out in the sticks". If running a pool hall in Marietta is tough, then making a go of it up in Cartersville would seem impossible. I can't imagine anyone from Atlanta (especially anyone not living on the north side) saying: "Hey, let's go up to Cartersville after work, and shoot some pool". Anyway, I wish him well.
Cartersville is still Cartersville.

I play all around ATL and I'll check it out eventually , if it ever opens, but its too far to play with any regularity.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ca
Cartersville is still Cartersville.

I play all around ATL and I'll check it out eventually , if it ever opens, but its too far to play with any regularity.
Cartersville has grown a lot and is right on I-75. The room is pretty close to the interstate. It is alot smaller than Marietta Billiard Club was. I think he can do well there. All the little restaraunts and bars around that area are packed in the evenings. I think he can do well if it is ran well. But why was the coming soon banner taken down?

L.S. Dennis

I remember saving up enough money to get myself a Balabushka (not original of course) in the late 80's, being caught up in COM and a Mizerak book. I got cash out of the bank and drove up to a Billiards shop, not a poolhall. I was probably around 19-20. I told the guy working that I was there to buy a Balabushka and could I see them. He wouldn't let me. He snapped at me and said I don't hand cues like that to boys unless they will definitely buy, or some similar nonsense. Now I was clean cut and went in with a friend. My friend said he's got the money with him, he just needs to check them out and decide which one he's going to buy. He still wouldn't do it. Finally I just pulled out a wad of cash and said here's the money that your store won't be getting. We stormed out and I ended up ordering one from somewhere else.
Kind of reminds me of the story that circulated here in the Bay Area of a very wealthy family member (fortune made from the computer chip business early on) who went into a Cessna dealership interested in buying a Cessna small aircraft. As in the your story the sales manager of dealership blew this person off, not imagining to whom he was talking. The story has is that the potential buyer ( the weathy family member) was so enraged by this that he arranged to buy the dealership, fire that sales manager and sell himself the airplane!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s well on it’s way to being opened.

it’s in Cartersville Ga under construction as I write this

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s well on it’s way to being opened.

it’s in Cartersville Ga under construction as I write this
We know that but how close to opening? Some on here have been by and said it looks like nothing has been done inside.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few weeks ago I drove past the place Johnny was supposed to open in May in Cartersville. It was no where close to finished inside. But had a banner out front saying future home of the Legendary Johhny Archers Place. I drove by again this week and the banner was gone and there were little posters in the windows asking for cooks and waitresses. The inside still looks gutted with no drywall on the walls. Does anyone know if he anandoned the project?
I saw a video on his FB dated April 24 of the inside. It was completely gutted. No drywall, no studs, and what looked like a dirt floor. On that post it said a June 12th opening date. I don’t think that would be possible if he had crews working around the clock.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw a video on his FB dated April 24 of the inside. It was completely gutted. No drywall, no studs, and what looked like a dirt floor. On that post it said a June 12th opening date. I don’t think that would be possible if he had crews working around the clock.
If its being done on 'pool player time' just add 3-4 mo's and you'll be close. Sorta.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
IIRC most of the $$ for Freezer's came from an old friend of Scott's back in Iowa. Lenny was the GM i'm pretty sure.
Correct, and that same old pool loving friend from Iowa re-branded his massive investment by totally deemphasizing "Pool the Game" and emphasizing "Modern and Social". Sorry, but pool don't sell to today's crowd.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ca

Cartersville has grown a lot and is right on I-75. The room is pretty close to the interstate. It is alot smaller than Marietta Billiard Club was. I think he can do well there. All the little restaraunts and bars around that area are packed in the evenings. I think he can do well if it is ran well. But why was the coming soon banner taken down?
If there are a number of restaurant options in close proximity, the food/beverage operation must be of very good quality and value. That is the only way they are going to have a chance to make it. 85%-90% of their revenue will come from food and beverage.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
Over the past 52 years that I have been in billiard rooms around the U.S. I can say there is one main reason that the rooms disappeared- they were not managed properly. In every pool boom that I experienced- over 80% of those opening rooms did so without really knowing what it takes to run a successful business.
Some of the biggest issues that I saw that contributed to the demise of most pool rooms included: absentee ownership, poor equipment maintenance, allowing the wrong element to dominate the room, not providing proper customer service to everyone that walked into the room, not building youth and league programs properly to assure continuous attendance beyond the casual and the hard nosed players, not holding tournaments with regularity, fairness, and/or concern for the average working person in terms of tournament times and hours, not balancing the room priorities between the real players and those that attended for social reasons- be it a bar/ music or just fun in general - so that all feel welcome and enjoy.

Most rooms that survived the 60s 70s and beyond or started in the late 80s to 90s and had a long run got many of these things right consistently- unfortunately that 10 to 15% was far too small a group. Fading interest in pool had a lot to do with the way most rooms have been managed - way more, I feel than just the fading interest from the latest pool movie. I hope if the resurgence that folks hope for does occur, that this next tier of room owners do a much better job of looking for longevity instead of the quick buck.
Controlling the wrong element dominating the room is key to long term success.

I tried a hall that opened and I was creeped when i was in there. Now, i am 230 lbs, 5'11" shaved head, and all shoulders. I don't get creeped out easily. But i wasn't comfortable there. I would never take my wife there. Most were wearing gang colours and while i knew the owner for years, and would never expect trouble with him around, i wouldn't enjoy playing there regularly because i felt i needed to watch over my shoulder every second.

I was just saying to someone else i wish good higher class private halls that focus on the game were more viable. I remember hearing there some good ones on the eu that even give you a key to play when you want to go in and play. More of a private club you pay to access.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wrong element dominating the room is key to long term success.

I tried a hall that opened and I was creeped when i was in there. Now, i am 230 lbs, 5'11" shaved head, and all shoulders. I don't get creeped out easily. But i wasn't comfortable there. I would never take my wife there. Most were wearing gang colours and while i knew the owner for years, and would never expect trouble with him around, i wouldn't enjoy playing there regularly because i felt i needed to watch over my shoulder every second.

I was just saying to someone else i wish good higher class private halls that focus on the game were more viable. I remember hearing there some good ones on the eu that even give you a key to play when you want to go in and play. More of a private club you pay to access.
I think you might want to edit/correct that opening sentence, so that it doesn’t read exactly the opposite of the point you’re making.

Last edited:

crazy8legs

Registered
A rooms success depends largely on location. I live in the Raleigh area and there are 6 or 7 pool halls within 15 square miles. Most of them are doing well, and several have no open tables during the week because of league play. A lot of people still play pool here, including younger people and college kids. But The more successful ones have a good bar.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A rooms success depends largely on location. I live in the Raleigh area and there are 6 or 7 pool halls within 15 square miles. Most of them are doing well, and several have no open tables during the week because of league play. A lot of people still play pool here, including younger people and college kids. But The more successful ones have a good bar.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Where are you playing at? I shoot at BreakTime in Cary, tables just got covered today with new Simonis. Slick and easy for a little while!

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope it does open soon. I'm 30 minutes away and would be there frequently. I grew up in Raleigh and the pool scenes are really different.