Archer's Place, Marietta Ga...??

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Idk, I just spoke to JA 3 minutes ago. He just went back, it’s a bit slower today(Sunday) but still doing good.

I’ll ask him later today and post it here.

We did talk about it a while back and 11am-when ever the bar has to close was the loose plan, but I’m not sure what was decided.

Overall the numbers for the opening day were great. Machines actually did more than we thought when we spoke at 1230am today. I can’t ever say what they are. However they were solid for a day 1. Of course there will be a dip for a little bit until people become regulars and the place is finished.

I’ll update again later today. On the hours and what ever else I can discuss. I’ll be there later this week. Also to be 100% clear I have no $ in this deal and am JA’s friend-unless it’s biz we rarely talk about pool. We do talk about the pool biz.

Best
Fatboy
Awesome!

The address should be posted in this thread too.

Johnny Archer's Place
138 S Tennessee St Cartersville, GA 30120

Last edited:

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gold Crown coin op.jpg

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone confirm if they’re open this evening. Planning on heading that way in a couple hours. I tried calling the number but it went to voicemail.

Last edited:

mtd000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7 Footers are $7 for an hour, if you want to pay in that fashion. Coins or bills and the tables don't provide change. I did not see a card slot.

middleofnowhere

Registered
7 Footers are $7 for an hour, if you want to pay in that fashion. Coins or bills and the tables don't provide change. I did not see a card slot.
I can't find how many tables are in the place. From the Facebook page I only see two 9 footers. It seems to be everything but a pool room.

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is correct. Big tables are also $7/hr.

The room is overall very nice and far from a ‘joint.’ Very clean, new and I didn’t see anyone smoking, but not sure if it’s actually smoke free. Both Johnny and Rodney were very friendly. The GC6s were beautiful. The ball return is almost silent. There are currently 2 set up and I’m not sure if they were meant to be the action tables but:

29CB0A42-5E19-4969-93B4-8EAED27F32B6.jpeg

And played even stingier.

Here’s a couple more:

C551AD68-067A-4711-A668-4642B8827AC2.jpeg

B5D2A6BF-3299-434F-BD3A-B38FE531E021.jpeg

7BE26D41-8FD9-4821-9B18-93F682BCA7F2.jpeg

There is a lathe and someone will be there most days of the week to take care of you.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

The room is overall very nice and far from a ‘joint.’ Very clean, new and I didn’t see anyone smoking, but not sure if it’s actually smoke free. Both Johnny and Rodney were very friendly. The GC6s were beautiful. The ball return is almost silent. There are currently 2 set up and I’m not sure if they were meant to be the action tables but:

View attachment 613807

Here’s a couple more:

View attachment 613808
View attachment 613809

View attachment 613810

There is a lathe and someone will be there most days of the week to take care of you.
Eric Hatfield will be the cue repairman there. He just bought a brand new lathe from me to keep over there. I am still trying to find time to go check the place out.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can't find how many tables are in the place. From the Facebook page I only see two 9 footers. It seems to be everything but a pool room.
From the Facebook video I watched on Saturday, there are six 7 foot tables, and three 9foot tables. There is also a 9 foot table set up in an action room walled off from the other tables. They have room to add more tables when the $$$ start coming in.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
coin machines work well in a bar but not in a pool room. makes it too easy to think about quitting as you see the money going in and when you run out of change or your hour is up it is like a quit sign.
smoking is a long passed thing for a new clean business. if they allow it they are doomed.

middleofnowhere

Registered
coin machines work well in a bar but not in a pool room. makes it too easy to think about quitting as you see the money going in and when you run out of change or your hour is up it is like a quit sign.
smoking is a long passed thing for a new clean business. if they allow it they are doomed.
Pay be the game can be bad also. I used to get 2 couples on my bar tables who fooled around playing partners and played like 4 games an hour. I used to get $.50 a game back then. Today that is $1.00 an hour per player. Thats 1970 rates in 2021. They sure as hell better be drinking, A LOT. Forget about Karoke. Remember disco? I invested in one like an idiot. The place is packed and no one spending just dancing for free. Some ideas look so good on paper.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3’s the opening time for now, when the kitchen opens on the 28th the room will open earlier for lunch.

The room is still in the “soft opening” phase. About 10 more TV’s were picked up in the last couple days and are coming in.

Additional things will be added over the next couple weeks as things are being figured out. This isn’t McDonald’s with 4000 stores and a formula for everything. Relax. They are pro’s and know pool. Just takes a couple weeks to sort out what goes where. Not their first rodeo and they signed a long lease. It will be a good room. Considering most joint are closing up shop-they are just opening. Not bad.

Have fun,
Fatboy😀😀

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 613807

Here’s a couple more:

View attachment 613808
View attachment 613809

View attachment 613810

Great pictures and updates!

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some more advertising in Rome when the budget allows, specifically targeting pool players would go a long way. The bowling alley in east Rome is literally the only place in town with tables. They are valleys in ok shape. At least 10 tables and always a wait in the evenings. There are 98,000 people in Floyd County and we’re used to having to drive out of the area for shopping and entertainment. 30 minutes to Cartersville is nothing.

middleofnowhere

Registered
Some more advertising in Rome when the budget allows, specifically targeting pool players would go a long way. The bowling alley in east Rome is literally the only place in town with tables. They are valleys in ok shape. At least 10 tables and always a wait in the evenings. There are 98,000 people in Floyd County and we’re used to having to drive out of the area for shopping and entertainment. 30 minutes to Cartersville is nothing.
While what you say is true, there is a limit how far people will travel for something like a business like his. Customers for a business like that are mostly localized.

I learned this from buying advertising. I got more new customers from flyers on doors within a mile then from radio ads that reached 40 miles.

You may get the occasional customer a few times a month that will travel and it will take something special to get them to do it. While the place may survive, to be an actual success is a really steep clime.

I don't know the demographic there but the place he rented I believe was a failed Dollar store that was the anchor store in the strip center. There is a reason the rent and concessions were so generous.

Just curious, with all the demand in Rome for a pool room why is there not one? Did they have one that closed?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wish them luck. Lots of it! All I would say to them in the way of advice would be Promote! Promote! Promote! for the first six months and welcome every new customer, make them feel at home there. After that word of mouth will make you or break you!

Promote - flyers all over the neighborhood, offering a discount (20% 0ff) to new customers, on door knobs, windshields at Home Depot, Walmart etc; Local TV and radio appearances by these two famous pool players; Press Releases sent to local newspapers; Anything and everything to bring attention to your business. Good signage is a MUST as well. Make sure people driving by know that a great new place has opened up in their neighborhood. Ads in local college papers with a discount coupon attached. This is just a capsule of what they should be doing right now.

Last edited:

Mark V

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rome is a very unique town. We’re 25 minutes from any interstate and there isn’t much local shopping or young people entertainment. We have 3 colleges. I’ve lived in several areas and nowhere is like here. People here drive 30-60 minutes on the regular to find something to buy or do.

It may be a bit of a gamble but the payoff could be good. We have a dollar store on every other corner here and the biggest Kroger I’ve ever seen opened up a few miles away a couple years ago, so I’m not surprised it failed.