Are there any books about the "Life" in a pool room or about one of the great "Action" pool Rooms?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that. To make a living at pool, you had to get down on the table and make those balls! You couldn't fake it at pool, and I loved that fact. Every score I made, I had to grind it out, one game at a time. One truism from TCOM was how sweet money won was. After a long night of playing and I got back to my room and counted the money, there was a feeling of elation over the extra 30 or 40 dollars. I had earned it with my skill on the table!
Yep. Pretty sweet to play around all day and come home with more than ya left with.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am still waiting for Jam to release the Keith McCready book she wrote.....

One day I hope!

Kd

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Aren't we all ? I just hope there isn't too much written about how they players pants fit , and or , if they stand with there legs apart.😉😁😆

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Not really pool hall music, but it accurately describes pool halls in the 21st century:

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Joni Mitchell
Big Yellow Taxi

Also provides an apt description of the world of tournament pool (and a good title for tournament pool's first great book): "Paved Paradise".

It's difficult to appreciate what you've never experienced.

So for the uninitiated and the rest of us, too (This one's especially for you, JAM):

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I have seen articles and books about, how to play, where to play, the history, and about players but I would like to more about the rooms that had the most pool action.

I had just started to play pool when I went to the Vern Peterson's Billiard place in the late 1960s. I do not remember the names but I was told the best players in the world were there. What I clearly remember there was gambling on EVERY table.

I would like to know more about the Rack in Detroit, Red's in Houston, Lambert's in Baton Rouge and any other rooms from the past.
Or you could take a vacation, spend a couple weeks in LA and get the modern taste, feel and action.

WardS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that. To make a living at pool, you had to get down on the table and make those balls! You couldn't fake it at pool, and I loved that fact. Every score I made, I had to grind it out, one game at a time. One truism from TCOM was how sweet money won was. After a long night of playing and I got back to my room and counted the money, there was a feeling of elation over the extra 30 or 40 dollars. I had earned it with my skill on the table!
Money won has no home