Art, from Burlington Iowa --anyone know?

gdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know a guy named Art who owned a pool hall in Burlington Ia in the late 70's. I played basketball for Charlie Spoonhour, in Burlington, who later coached at St. Louis and Nevada las Vegas. When I wasn't hooping I was playin pool. Across the river at 2:00 am looking for a game bout every night. The Ramp, in Downtown, was where the tourneys and action were. At least for this so called student-athlete. One day, after lunching there I stumbled into this pool hall, which was kind of hidden. Now i hope i don't offend anyone if they knew and liked Art, but he was the only one there when I walked in, and my intuition said he ain't right. Place was kinda dark and spooky. I'm 20, and just wanted to hit some balls. So I go from euphoria to seeing the tables, to scared when I see Art. I swear he appeared out of nowhere, like he came out of the wall, like Patrick Swayze in Ghost. He was sloppy, and rough looking, with a demeanor that said I could stuff you in the ball return and no one would ever find you. He seemed surprised when I asked for a rack of balls, as if he hadn't heard such a request. WTF I'm thinking, goes on in here. Didn't want to know, just wanted to hit some balls before afternoon B.B.practice. If Coach Spoon knew I was here, let alone out till 4:00 every night across the river playing ring games, he would revoke my scholarship. It's why we had tutors. So im hitting balls hoping Art dissappears back through the wall. He's amused though, sizing me up. "You gamble". Who didn't know that was coming. I didn't want to end up in the ball return so i mumbled," A little". Im afraid to ask "can i get 5 minutes here". Art says, "I'll play one handed." Iv'e got 14 bucks on me. I can win, I thought. Then I thought whoever coined 'no win' situation was watching this. We start talking and playing, he starts being real nice to me, probably because I'm his first customer he's had all month. Were on 9 footers, five a game, 9 ball. Art's enjoying the fact that I've got the balls to play, but really loving the fact that he knows i can't win. Only when I mention I play basketball for the College in Town did he actually understand why I stumbled in. Arts running racks one handed. 30 years later it's still in my mind. Cue ball in the center of the table, holding his cue like a dart, and snapping the cb back wherever he chose. Butt of the cue over his shoulder, jacked up over balls, never using a rail, etc.etc. So he tells me he won this pool hall in a pool match. All I'm thinking is you'd get more customers if the door was unlocked. Joking of course. Sorry so long, reminiscing, I guess. So does anyone from that era know who I'm talking about. Was it the fact I was so impressionable at that age that it played out like a movie? We did become friends with the few times I went down there. I always tried to go there for the pool and my intrigue of Art. Art always looked pained, and appeared to be fighting deamons, like we all do at times. That was 30 years ago. About 10 years ago I go to a local bar/pool place in town. As I walk in a few of my buddies said there's a guy back there killing people. I look and excitedly said," that's frickin Art." He had already taken everyone's money, and when I said your Art, you remember me from Burlington? Dude what's up? He looked up at me while grabbing his coat to leave, brushed by me, and gave me the exact, same, bewildered look the day I walked into his pool hall. Sorry to bore ya, anyone know this guy!
 
Good one Gary, That does sound like a movie. Too bad they didn't make tight Diamonds back then, you would have robbed him.
 
Burlington

My buddy's dad lived in Ft. Madison. We would go there once a summer for a week to fish and jack around. We would always head to Burlington to shoot pool and hit the bars. Gulfport too. We had some adventures there for sure but never ran into the guy you speak of. I'm glad, I'm sure he'd of busted us for our beer money.
 
Last edited:
Nothin good ever happened to anybody in Gulfport! :groucho:

Sorry I don't know your guy but a bump might stir up somebody.
 
That was Artie Clemens. I believe he now lives in St. Louis. He is sometimes called " Mountain Man " I've heard. He closed the pool room in Burlington, and moved it to some town near Chicago.A local guy named Wayne Hicks moved the tables ( tore them down, drove them to Illinois, and put them back together, and got stiffed by Artie.
 
Gulfport

Nothin good ever happened to anybody in Gulfport!

I know that's right. I liked playing on that Z shaped table at Sam's Speakeasy. I remember the bouncer at that place was a huge old farmer looking guy. His fingers were bigger around than my wrist. I never even contemplated making that dude angry.
 
Before Sams was the Speakeasy, it was called Downers. There was tons of action there.Cheap ten, twenty dollar, all the time with the locals, but I saw Richie Florence play Surfer Rod eight ball in Downers. Denny Searcy played Bob Smith (Danny Smiths dad).Searcy was drunk and lost giving up the eight. Don McCoy from DesMoines played there often.Joe Villapondo was around a lot. Grady spent a little time there. Gary Pinkowski stayed there quite a while.etc. etc. etc. Lots of good things happened in Gulfport!!!
 
Did somebody say Gulfport? What about "Boss Hogs"??? Not sure how that place got it's name...:eek:
 
Wasn't that place owned by a gay dude that road a Harley with that name steciled across the luggage carrier? Not joking, he lived south of Muscatine and cruised around town on occasion. My Mom always pointed him out to me in the 70's & 80's. Haven't seen him nor his bike in 20 years.
 
Back
Top