ATTENTION: Justis Case Owners

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Seriously, JB...

What the F***, over?

This is NOT a good business strategy.... ESPECIALLY when your competition is basically known as the high end case market leader.

Promote your own line, and leave Jack alone. I mean, seriously, the only possible thing you can do here is force Jack to put protection in the bottom of his cases, and then your are going to lose one of the main differentiating points between your line and his.

And coming into a thread like this that was made by Jack as information to his customers, is the ULTIMATE in classlessness.

You virtually guaranteed that at least (and probably more) 15-20 on here will NEVER buy one of your cases, and will probably even go further to tell others what a slimy business person you are.

To borrow a phrase from the old cigarette ads...

"Congrats baby...You earned it."

Short Bus Russ

Hello Russ,

Nice to see you posting again.

About your admonition,

This is what Jack had to say about my cases yesterday in a for sale thread about our cases,

"Yes, John, and doing so voids our very generous lifetime warranty that comes with every Justis case. I don't think any of our more knowledgeable customers would want to take a chance of losing this and damaging the finish on their cues from excess friction caused by your undersized interiors.

Jack"

He said that in this thread, http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=164540

So, sorry if I don't see things the way you see them. I know that you have a Justis and it's a really nice looking one.

I never made the point of Jack's LACK of foam rubber in the bottom until he started in on me and my products.

If the end result of all this however is that Jack improves his interiors then that's just better for everyone all the way around.

Do you think I care one bit about Jack's 150 cases a year that he makes to give away and sell?

I care that he has decided to lie about the protection that I work so hard to provide. I care that he does this INSTEAD OF simply improving his INADEQUATE imported interiors.

So if he is going to LIE about what I build as a defense then he deserves to have every part of his case exposed for what it is.

As for his rep as "the best case maker" or whatever, it's about the same as the housing bubble with a bunch of people backslapping each other over getting richer while the foundation crumbles. Sometimes a reputation is earned and sometimes it's just built on mutual unspoken agreement not to question the "status quo".

In my mind Justis has earned a reputation for building pretty cases. Classy looking cases with clean lines. And of course people who get one feel like part of an elite club and get lots of backslaps and high fives from other Justis owners.

But privately, and I know this because I have PRIVATE conversations, with people who own Justis cases, privately they aren't that enamored over their case with special disdain for the cheap inadequately protecting interior that Jack buys from China.

So you can call me slimy if you want but I hope that you apply the same moniker to Jack who started all this with his false accusations about me personally and now outright lies about my product.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have over 160 cues, several vintage cases, new cases, 24 x 48 airline dealer cases, Justis, Whitten, Instroke, Haliburton, Thomas, Swifty, It's George, Fellini, Centennial, you name it.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to properly put a cue in a case.
When I bought my first case (Instroke) the manager of the pool hall I bought it at showed me how to do it.

What I like about my Justis case is the offers I turn down every time I take it with me.

Well you would think that one wouldn't need a warning that a cue could be damaged by putting it into the case a certain way. Especially when about a dollar's worth of foam rubber would stop any damage from occurring.

As to the offers yeah I think that Justis builds pretty cases. They are very attractive. Real head turners.

If you ever do accept one of those offers make sure you let the new owner know how to load it according to Jack's instructions.

Because some people on here have damaged their cues by not knowing the "proper" way to load a Justis case.

By the way on your Instroke there was no proper way. I built them so that the butts and shafts could be put in either direction.

In fact at shows I would literally throw the cues into the case pin down to show people that the cue COULD NOT BE HARMED.

Isn't this how a case should be first and foremost? Shouldn't it be as good on the inside as it looks on the outside? Or even better?

juegabillar

Private Citizen
Silver Member
This info would have been nice to know about 8 months ago :(

Glad I know it now though

Jack Justis provided this information way back in Sep 2006. Only 4 people posted on the thread.

Now comes JB and out of the blue, trashes Jack Justis cases to promote his own. Totally classless in my opinion......

mr8ball

I just happen to have had a few (3) of the Instroke cases and all fell apart. I got tired of sending them back to have them so called fixed!! Anyway i now own a Jack Justice and love it. Like someone said before, i have turned so many offers for it and i cant remember ever getting an offer for an Instroke. Sorry I don't want to bash anyone's product here i am just telling it like it is from what i went through. This is suppose to be a thread to let people know things and not to sell them. I once got banned for talking about selling a product on here so i am surprised that this has gone on this long. How ever i have seen this a lot lately. I guess its who you know right? Good luck

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have to agree. There is probably history here that everyone doesn't know about, but this is a bit much. Promote your own products but don't trash others.
Mr H

Why not?

If a product deserves to be trashed then why not say something about it.

Do you think that it's right to sell a cue case which comes with a warning that the user can damage their cues but inserting them joint pin down?

For the money Jack charges wouldn't it be useful to put $1 in padding in the bottom and never have any chance of damage to a cue's pin?

Companies trash each other's products all the time. Verizon compares their phones and plans to AT&T - McDonalds to Burger King, Pepsi to Coke, Ford to GM, and so on.

I INVITE Jack and whoever else wants to to post whatever critique they have of our cases. Tell me all about it. Hopefully there won't be any LIES like Jack tells about our cases.

If you're right then I will thanks you and go to fix it and make it better and if you're wrong then I will explain why you are in a way that is clear.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Jack Justis provided this information way back in Sep 2006. Only 4 people posted on the thread.

Now comes JB and out of the blue, trashes Jack Justis cases to promote his own. Totally classless in my opinion......

It's not out of the blue.

Jack posted a lie about our cases in the wanted and for sale section.

Specifically he said that our cases cause scratches on the cue. This is wholly untrue.

So I felt it's time to discuss whether cases should damage cues or not.

Jack feels that it's ok if the case CAN damage a cue as long as he warns the customer about it.

I don't feel that way.

You can call it classless, I call it providing good consumer information.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
so, if that case is no good what can i buy it for thanks for your time mr. barton.

Not for sale. It's priceless to me as a artifact for comparison purposes.

Although I am sure I could get far more than it's worth if I did decide to sell it.

bignasty

"I already did it"
Silver Member
well

Not for sale. It's priceless to me as a artifact for comparison purposes.

Although I am sure I could get far more than it's worth if I did decide to sell it.

atleast you know value! i dont understand why you would want he old junk laying around, i would be happt to take it off your hands! let me know if it ever comes up for sale! i guess you must of bought it right huh? good day sir. Nasty:wink:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I just happen to have had a few (3) of the Instroke cases and all fell apart. I got tired of sending them back to have them so called fixed!! Anyway i now own a Jack Justice and love it. Like someone said before, i have turned so many offers for it and i cant remember ever getting an offer for an Instroke. Sorry I don't want to bash anyone's product here i am just telling it like it is from what i went through. This is suppose to be a thread to let people know things and not to sell them. I once got banned for talking about selling a product on here so i am surprised that this has gone on this long. How ever i have seen this a lot lately. I guess its who you know right? Good luck

You're right. When I started Instroke I followed the Jay Flowers model on putting the case together. I focused too much on the interior and not enough on the exterior.

Over the years I gradually improved on every aspect of the case and incidents of things breaking on them decreased with every batch.

Now there are plenty of people with Instroke cases that have had them for more than a decade with zero problems.

As for getting offers? Who cares?

This thread is about the FACT that Jack warns you that you can damage your cue in his case.

It's not about which case is prettier or more in demand.

Yes, Jack was providing instructions on how to use his case so that no damage occurs. I however find that such instructions should not even be neccesary as the damage Jacks warns of can be EASILY prevented by adding a little padding to the bottom of the case.

And this isn't about "who you know" - the mods can come in and erase all this if they want to. But this is a discussion forum and since Jack Justis feels that it's ok to intrude on threads where people are bragging about and selling my cases with lies and innuendo and snide comments then it's only fair that what he posts about his product be fair game for discussion.

I'd imagine that if someone trashed your product using lies and innuendo then you'd want to set the record straight. Or would you just take it?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
atleast you know value! i dont understand why you would want he old junk laying around, i would be happt to take it off your hands! let me know if it ever comes up for sale! i guess you must of bought it right huh? good day sir. Nasty:wink:

It was given to me as a gift from a Taiwanese collector who upgraded to one of my cases.

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
Why not?

If a product deserves to be trashed then why not say something about it.

I INVITE Jack and whoever else wants to to post whatever critique they have of our cases. Tell me all about it. Hopefully there won't be any LIES like Jack tells about our cases.

If you're right then I will thanks you and go to fix it and make it better and if you're wrong then I will explain why you are in a way that is clear.

Okay... I'll start.

The case in your sig looks like the case equivalent of those tacky spray painted McDermott monstrosities that every bar banger seems to think are the coolest ever.

Not much "artistic flare", and seems to be "designed" more from the aspect of what will appeal to the unwashed masses, rather than a case conniseur.. (sp?)

Is that a "good" bash? Now, please respond and tell me how I am "wrong".

Russ

Russ Chewning

Short Bus Russ - C player
Silver Member
And furthermore... I'll say this about Jack's "instructions".

Perhaps..Just PERHAPS.... Jack is more interested in creating utilitarian art than he is in making huge profits. For that matter, he may have decided that he is not going to put styrofoam, or ANY other material like that in his cases, and expects that his users will treat them like works of art (which they ARE, IMHO...).

Now, for a revelation... Yes...I know that Jack's cases don't provide as good protection to those people that wish to toss their cues in their cases willy nilly after any emotional loss.

Guess what? I DON'T CARE. I love all the materials in the case, and I don't think any of it is "cheap".

I have a Meucci sneaky Pete that doesn't fit well in many cases, because it is so thin. It gets "stuck" in cases like yours. I have to pop off my butt cap sometimes in cases like yours because it goes in too far, and then I have to use my pinkie finger to extract the butt.

Guess what? NEVER had that problem with my Jack Justis. It's a conscious DESIGN, and Jack did it that way because it is aesthetically more pleasing to him, and allows for storage of ALL sizes of cues.

So, give it up and quit attacking him, before you lose more customers than you already have. The only stuff Jack says against you is to defend himself from your constant snide remarks. This isn't the first time you've pulled stuff like this. I've seen it in other threads, and it has always irritated me.

Russ

Bigjohn

Support Our Troops!
Silver Member
Do you mean to say that there isn't any padding at all in the bottom of your Justis to cushion the blow?

Gee, it seems funny that Jack wouldn't even put a little bit of padding in the bottom.

What about all those people who have the Hoppe style cues with no rubber bumper? Do they mind when their butt cap hits raw wood?

I was certainly surprised to see this when I took the interior out of this 2006 ProLite Justis.

P1060957.JPG

P1060976.JPG

P1060977.JPG

P1060980.JPG

I guess I expected a little more from such a well respected case maker. Like maybe $1 in EVA foam padding at the bottom to provide SOME cushion for the cues and allow them to go in either direction with NO CHANCE of damage.

And you know what?

I own this case now and it still has the newspaper from South Florida stuffed in one of the pockets but there are no instructions on how to use the case.

Good thing I didn't put my $1000 cue into it pin down and risk some damage.

Thanks for this post I was seriously just about to order one for Christmas. Thank You... Maybe I'll order one of yours. Would you mind ripping one apart for me.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Thanks for this post I was seriously just about to order one for Christmas. Thank You... Maybe I'll order one of yours. Would you mind ripping one apart for me.

I sure would not mind one bit. In fact I am thinking about doing a Ustream session where I dissect Jack's case and our case live and let people interact with me while I am doing it so that everyone can see that nothing is staged.

Sometime in the next week this will happen in one way or another.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
ditto

Seriously, JB...

What the F***, over?

This is NOT a good business strategy.... ESPECIALLY when your competition is basically known as the high end case market leader.

Promote your own line, and leave Jack alone. I mean, seriously, the only possible thing you can do here is force Jack to put protection in the bottom of his cases, and then your are going to lose one of the main differentiating points between your line and his.

And coming into a thread like this that was made by Jack as information to his customers, is the ULTIMATE in classlessness.

You virtually guaranteed that at least (and probably more) 15-20 on here will NEVER buy one of your cases, and will probably even go further to tell others what a slimy business person you are.

To borrow a phrase from the old cigarette ads...

"Congrats baby...You earned it."

Short Bus Russ

Put me down on the list, classless!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Put me down on the list, classless!

You're on it. Do you also then agree that Jack's lie about our interiors in a for sale thread about cases is also classless?

Me, I think it classless to sell high priced leather cases with the cheapest possible interiors you can get in them.

I mean seriously, the guy charges $500 plus for cases and won't spend $2 more per case to provide some decent protection.

I don't know, I always thought that a case should protect the cues not damage them.