Attn; Jeff Sparks !

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff Sparks said:
Yep, Blinky turned me out, that was my 1st road trip. Big time pool was just a distant vision to me in 1966, I could defend myself, but I couldn't really play. I remember it well though, I played King Curtis nine ball at TJ's on Washington Ave. for 18 hours for $10.00 a game until they locked up. Ish ran the joint for TJ and racked the balls and collected $.10 a game if I'm not mistaken! The windup was we were both short after that session. I moved into a furnished home one street behind Washington Ave. Rent was $10.00 a week! And some weeks I had to hide out till I made a little score!!

I caught your 'story' over on onepocket.org. (I can't post there anymore)..I remember Blinky, King Curtis, James Christopher, and just about everyone else you've mentioned..But, for some reason, I can't place you ! ..I was a regular, at TJ's and the LeCue, for quite a few years, in the 60's..However, I don't remember anybody named "JEFF", ever busting me in Amarillo, or anywhere else for that matter.. You either have your towns, or who you thought you were playing dead wrong ! :cool:

Also, If you were with Billy Jordon, or Blinky, I doubt either one would have let you play me, any game, without getting some weight ?..Not saying I wasn't a through ticket, if I liked the game, but NO ONE, including Andy O. or Slim P.,or anyone else EVER busted me in Amarillo !..Never the less..it was a great "story" ! :rolleyes:

SJ Dick

PS..I know for sure, I could have beaten anyone dumb enough to let me drive off in a car they had just won ! :p

PPS..Rodney, if you catch this, say hi to James Cristopher for me too !..Is Blinky still alive ?

Last edited:

androd

androd
Silver Member
PPS..Rodney, if you catch this, say hi to James Cristopher for me too !..Is Blinky still alive ?

Will do Dick, I believe Blink is alive, I haven't heard otherwise. I don't get to San Antonio much anymore. If I remember correctly Blinky was the same age as Jack Taylor. 87 yrs.
Rod.

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
Jeff sparks

Finding old rivals
Just throwing this out there to see if any of my old adversaries are still alive and willing to share a few words?
I played nine ball and one pocket in the late 60's and early 70's. I was known as tall Jeff to almost everyone and I would like to exchange a few lines with those of you who remember me or played me in the old days. I know this might not be the right place to ask this, but I feel there might be a good chance of finding some of the guys I used to battle with back then.
Hope to hear from a bunch of you!

androd
Verified Member

I heard you were still kicking. Nice to see you posting. Pasadena Squirrel makes a few posts here. Hope your health is good.
Your OLD pal.
Rodney.

Yesterday, 02:57 PM
wincardona
Verified Member
Great hearing from you, it's been awhile hasn't it? Yes, you were a very feared player back in the "Stardust" days and one that many players respected, glad to know that your/we're still kicking. Take care, and good luck Jeff, stop back and get into the discussions it's always a pleasure and a learning experience when we read post from veteran players like yourself.

Bill "Dr. Bill" Incardona

Yesterday, 04:15 PM
Jeff Sparks

Rodney.
Stevens?
How are you? Good to hear from you. I guess you're still playing everyday somewhere, right? Where? You know I think about you and Tall Jimmy sometimes, like when I'm dreaming or running over things I failed to accomplish in life. Tall Jimmy was one of my greatest failed accomplishments in my pool playing days!!!
That guy beat me like a drum every time we played for years, then I finally got to playing pretty good, and he refused to play me anymore!!! If there was ever a pool player who rivaled Tall Jimmy in winning %tage, I've never heard of him!!
People thought Jack Cooney kept a low profile !! Most people never even heard of Tall Jimmy!! Hats off to you Jimmy wherever you are, you were probably the best, and kudo's to you Rodney for being his friend and life's companion.
Thanks for the reply

Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Jeff sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincardona
Great hearing from you, it's been awhile hasn't it? Yes, you were a very feared player back in the "Stardust" days and one that many players respected, glad to know that your/we're still kicking. Take care, and good luck Jeff, stop back and get into the discussions it's always a pleasure and a learning experience when we read post from veteran players like yourself.

Bill "Dr. Bill" Incardona
My man Billy,
You and handsome Danny Jones were the best looking back then, even though they gave credit to Mataya!!! I'm very glad to hear you are still around and doing well I hope. Thanks so much for the reply and the exaggerated description of my game, you're to kind! I, like you, really loved the game, not the environment back then, it was tough and dangerous at times, but the game, played at the highest levels, it was super exciting fun for a young man with no responsibilities.
I wouldn't change a thing, except I would have played longer!!
Great to hear from you Billy, you're the one who's admired and highly respected.

Yesterday, 04:34 PM

androd
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff sparks
Stevens?
How are you? Good to hear from you. I guess you're still playing everyday somewhere, right? Where? You know I think about you and Tall Jimmy sometimes, like when I'm dreaming or running over things I failed to accomplish in life. Tall Jimmy was one of my greatest failed accomplishments in my pool playing days!!!
That guy beat me like a drum every time we played for years, then I finally got to playing pretty good, and he refused to play me anymore!!! If there was ever a pool player who rivaled Tall Jimmy in winning %tage, I've never heard of him!!
People thought Jack Cooney kept a low profile !! Most people never even heard of Tall Jimmy!! Hats off to you Jimmy wherever you are, you were probably the best, and kudo's to you Rodney for being his friend and life's companion.
Thanks for the reply

Stephens.
I'm ok, getting over Radiation. Yes I play every weekday, never miss a ball
Tall Jimmy was a well kept secret, he wasn't looking for fame, He took losing hard. I only saw it happen to him a couple of times. He lost to a guy in Alabama and left a new pair of Sharkskin shoes in the Motel, I mentioned them and he said nevermind they're bad luck.

I remember you coming to Houston from San Antonio with Blinky. When he left you said give me my clothes " I can't leave all this action" . That's how I remember it. It's only been 50/60 years ago.
Rod.
P.S Tall Jimmy beat King Curtis, james Christopher, Grady, Canello and everyone else he played.

P.P.S.I remember being in with you playing the young mexican fellow from across the river at cue and cushion. You really played great.
You got three sets winner and they quit. In a little while the stake horse (a very good player ) came back with a CB in his hand.
You nodded at me and started laughing and the guy just turned around and left.

Jeff sparks

In 1969 I went on the road with a guy named Billy Jordan, he was a local guy from Houston,Texas where I was playing at that time. We went to Oklahoma to play a guy named Hitchcock at Truloves in OKC.
I played another guy before him though, nine ball so much a game, I can't remember exactly what we played for, but I beat him up pretty bad and he quit.
Then Hitchcock wanted to play and I beat him bloody also. Now I have been up
for over 24 hours and I gotta get some sleep because they wanna play some more the next day, so I head to the motel and Billy says he wants to hang out and sweat some of the other action.
I wake up in about 10 hours and head back over to Truloves and there's Billy, my partner playing Hitchcock one-pocket. Now to say Billy can't play is a gross understatement, he's a good guy, but he can't hit dark at midnight!! Hitchcock is spotting him 16/2 and giving him the break. Billy has blown all the money I won plus our entire bankroll and he's breaking on the air barrel! He scratches, of course, which he does about 50% of the time and we end up flat busted.
The first guy I beat was Buddy Hall.

Billy Jackets
Verified Member

Welcome to 1 Pocket.org, hope your stay is a pleasant one.
Hitchcock won the Stardust nine ball championship, I believe, and was reported to have almost never, or never lost a money match in OKC.
You must have been a very fine player sir ,if you went looking for him, my hats off to you.
The story about the backer who couldn't play dead, I wonder how many thousands of times that has happened.
Good stuff.

Originally Posted by Jeff sparks
Thank you
I had some moments.
Billy and I hit the pump and went to Amarillo to play a guy named Andy Ogaine,
but we arrived late, he had just went off to another road tick named San Jose Dick, so we just busted him instead and beat him outta his ring, watch, cue, and car. He put up the title, but stiffed us for the car when he just drove off!! Lol hey Dick, if you're still kickin, you can keep it, it's about 45 years old now!!!

Originally Posted by wincardona
Jeff, looking for Hitchcock and beating SJD has earned you much respect, however, not much from Dick. Yes Dick is still around and he was one of the regular posters on the site, he can be found over at AZB another pool forum. Once he hears about your post he may respond, he's excellent at rebutting, good luck.

Freddie the Beard was just sited doubling up laughing after reading this post.

Dr. Bill

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea we know you

PPS..Rodney said:
Everybody in Houston knows Jeff, good player.

P.S. You can tell James Cristopher hello anytime you want to, he's the manager of Bogies Pool Hall ion Houston.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a lot of guys remember Jeff "Tall Jeff" Sparks.

Steve, very nice (but lengthy) observations !..But you are forgetting one thing !..Jeff himself, said he was just starting out in '66..I was gone from Texas by about '67, so you see, its not surprising that I would not have known, or remember him!..Nice try though, at trying to make me look bad ! (AGAIN)

PS..Boy, ever since your falling out with Cowboy Dennis, you have really been firing at me..:cool: But, you should try and be right, once in a while, shouldn't you ! :sorry:

Last edited:

stevelomako

Cash. I uses cash beech.
Silver Member
Steve, very nice (but lengthy) observations !..But you are forgetting one thing !..Jeff himself, said he was just starting out in '66..I was gone from Texas by about '67, so you see, its not surprising that I would not have known, or remember him!..Nice try though, at trying to make me look bad ! (AGAIN)

PS..Boy, ever since your falling out with Cowboy Dennis, you have really been firing at me..:cool: But, you should try and be right, once in a while, shouldn't you ! :sorry:

Give the guy his car.

My falling out with "Cowboy" Dennis Bondarenok aka "Old Nine Baller" on this site, has nothing to do with you and I.

How you treat people has to do with you and I.

I posted everything the guy said and what other people said. You both know all the same people so you must have run into each other.

The timelines of your stories are all over the place so I just chalked it up to an alcoholic fog.

Last edited:

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow Dick, did you really renig and steal your car back? Ol' Tall Jeff, he played pretty good!!

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow Dick, did you really renig and steal your car back? Ol' Tall Jeff, he played pretty good!!

Bunter, like you would actually have a clue !..You didn't know either one of us, did you ?.. You are a complete, know nothing doorknob ! .:cool:

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bunter, like you would actually have a clue !..You didn't know either one of us, did you ?.. You are a complete, know nothing doorknob ! .:cool:

I'm just curious, are there ANY members on ANY forum that you don't fight with? After a while you should probably start looking at yourself.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I'm just curious, are there ANY members on ANY forum that you don't fight with? After a while you should probably start looking at yourself.

Watch out, he's about to scream at you to get off his lawn

liakos

Banned

SJD, just curious, I heard that you kicked out of 1-pocket forum?!?!? Why would they want to kick out such a great personality out? You seem to always be very nice and complimenting:) it seems to me that those idiots out in 1-pocket don't know $hit about anything;)

All I can say is I'm glad your hear and able to educate us all on "how it's done"

ELI:)
Happy Easter sir

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wqw !

I know this is sort of in bad taste, since he's not here to defend himself, oh well! I don't know who you are Jeff, but, You're my NEW HERO! This story made my month, will all the BS medical issues I've been going through!

I only hope, that you recover from your whiney, 'poor me' medical issues !..It figures that you will grasp at any straw, to try and discredit me !..Lets see who deficates, on whose grave ?..I'm willing to spot you 15-20 years, and bet you don't outlive me !..If you don't think I'm serious, post 10K with Dr. Bill, or Booth ![/QUOTE]

PS..Last man standing, gets the cash ! ;)

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I remember Big Jeff Sparks from watching him play all the Mexican champions on the bar tables at Daisy Mae's. He held his own but they got him in the end. I also saw him play Kenny Anderson and rob him, and Kenny was a decent shortstop. I think it was at the Tropicana Bowl on a big table. Jeff had a really powerful break. I always wondered what happened to him.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Clearly, this is not a fair charge.

Lomako and punter have taken shots. SJD is well within his rights to respond.

And, if you haven't noticed, there are some others here and on the 1pocket site with axes to grind and who will not leave him in peace.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Big Jeff Sparks from watching him play all the Mexican champions on the bar tables at Daisy Mae's. He held his own but they got him in the end. I also saw him play Kenny Anderson and rob him, and Kenny was a decent shortstop. I think it was at the Tropicana Bowl on a big table. Jeff had a really powerful break. I always wondered what happened to him.

Jay..are you saying Jeff was a notch above a shortstop ?..There must have been only about 2000 guys like him :rolleyes:

PS..You have already said many times..that I was a little above that pay grade, and I thank you ! :p

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJD, just curious, I heard that you kicked out of 1-pocket forum?!?!? Why would they want to kick out such a great personality out? You seem to always be very nice and complimenting:) it seems to me that those idiots out in 1-pocket don't know $hit about anything;)

All I can say is I'm glad your hear and able to educate us all on "how it's done"

ELI:)
Happy Easter sir

Because:

A. Some fans of Freddy will not leave him alone, and
B. SJD does not suffer blow holes well ;-)

Lou Figueroa

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clearly, this is not a fair charge.

Lomako and punter have taken shots. SJD is well within his rights to respond.

And, if you haven't noticed, there are some others here and on the 1pocket site with axes to grind and who will not leave him in peace.

Lou Figueroa

I doubt I've ever seen him engage in friendly conversation with anyone. He bickers argues with almost everyone. I'm sure he hasn't always started the fights, but when he's involved in all of them it's pretty telling of him as a person.

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sjd

FYI

I get along with SJD just fine.
There's a few posters I could do without- but they have the right to voice their thoughts and opinions. There are those that can be pretty nitty and obsessive.

Mark Griffin