Backup Cue Advice

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm looking for ideas for a second cue to be a backup to my main player. I'm really hoping to keep it to $150 or less, and I know you get what you pay for, so my expectations have been adjusted as such. However, I also don't want some graphite piece of junk, or a Wal-Mart special.

If anyone has any ideas of an inexpensive two piece cue I can keep on hand for those "just in case"" moments, let me know.

Just so we're clear, I'm not interested in a Cuetec cue or any non-wood cue. I'm flexible on basically everything else - joint, wrap (or wrapless), pin, taper, etc.

AZ Community, dazzle me with your ideas. :)

8Ball48043

Addicted to the Sport
Silver Member
Since you're now playing with a Viking cue (according to your signature line), why don't you look for a used Viking on eBay, or elsewhere.

I shot with a Viking for a lot of years. They are solid, well built, and shoot well.

TXsouthpaw

My tush hog
Silver Member
J & J bem break jump. Just replcace the tip and your good to go. Good thing is if youve got the stroke you can break it down and still jump with it. 60$ will pick u one up.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I'm looking for ideas for a second cue to be a backup to my main player. I'm really hoping to keep it to $150 or less, and I know you get what you pay for, so my expectations have been adjusted as such. However, I also don't want some graphite piece of junk, or a Wal-Mart special.

If anyone has any ideas of an inexpensive two piece cue I can keep on hand for those "just in case"" moments, let me know.

Just so we're clear, I'm not interested in a Cuetec cue or any non-wood cue. I'm flexible on basically everything else - joint, wrap (or wrapless), pin, taper, etc.

AZ Community, dazzle me with your ideas. :)

My suggestion is that you just get a cue to match your current shaft's joint. Look for same joint, same weight. The shaft is what takes the big adjustment. To keep things simple, find your favorite shafts and use the same joint for all your cues.

I don't know if you can do it for $150, but you can buy a Prather full splice handle for $70 - $100, have it turned to finished size and fitted to your shaft - prices varied by cue maker.

http://www.prathercue.com/spliced_butts_prongs/spliced_butts_prongs.html

Chris

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you're now playing with a Viking cue (according to your signature line), why don't you look for a used Viking on eBay, or elsewhere.

I shot with a Viking for a lot of years. They are solid, well built, and shoot well.

Not a bad idea, I'll look into it. If memory serves me, Viking makes a Plain Jane-type that retails for around $160, so this is a definite option. Keep the ideas coming, folks! :)

TSW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$150 is tough. If you were looking up to $300, you could find a custom sneaky pete or a good-quality production.

For $150 I'd look for a used Joss or something like that. You may be able to find a used Predator sneaky pete in the ~$250 range if you like LD shafts. If you can find one of the Canadian-made two-piece Dufferins (not the Chinese ones), that would be a good buy and should be within your price range.

Another option is to get a cuemaker to convert a house cue. Some of the cuemakers on here might be able to come close to your price range for that.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
My back up is an Extenda-Cue. It's 6 inches long until you press the button, then WHAMO, it expands into a standard 58" cue. I love it.

Seriously, I just carry extra shafts, not a backup cue. If I break a butt, that is a good signal to pack up and go home :)

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My back up is an Extenda-Cue. It's 6 inches long until you press the button, then WHAMO, it expands into a standard 58" cue. I love it.

Seriously, I just carry extra shafts, not a backup cue. If I break a butt, that is a good signal to pack up and go home :)

I carry an extra shaft for my Viking too, but this backup would be for when my main cue is out for maintenance (tip replacement, refinish, etc) or for when I'm playing with a friend who wants to borrow a cue. It wouldn't see the light of day too often, which is why I'm aiming to keep costs low.

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the joint pin on the Viking? Like Tate mentioned, its a good idea to keep it the same joint pin. That way if there is something wrong with the Viking cue such as getting a new wrap then you can still use your regular playing shafts on the backup.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I agree with Tate, get a cue that is the same in weight and same type of joint. Some cues are front heavy and some are weighted more at the back.

I would take a look at players cue's. They are very affordable and the sneeky is a excellent playing cue. It has a wood to wood joint to. I don't think you can get a better playing cue for the money, of course the feel of a cue is a very subjective thing and opinions will very. I use a Barry Cameron custom, a Joss back up and a players jump break sneeky that is also a very good back up. Good luck to ya.