Ball size testing

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just reading another thread about a poor guy that he cant get his rails back from RKC! So I have to hope that RKC hasn't gone into hiding while he is making ball testing equipment so that he can save pool from the small ball in tight pocket syndrome! He should only try to save one thing at a time! I hope the small ball syndrome is cured before it becomes a pandemic!

Robotron

Anyone seen any gauge sets available for sale recently? Can't find any on eBay and would like to get a set. Any ideas?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone seen any gauge sets available for sale recently? Can't find any on eBay and would like to get a set. Any ideas?
The guy that used to sell a set on Ebay is no longer listing them. They were the only one's i'd seen. Apparently there is little to no demand for these or someone would sell them. Probably costs more to tool up,market and ship than you could make. Contact B. Jewett. He knows a lot about this stuff.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The guy that used to sell a set on Ebay is no longer listing them. They were the only one's i'd seen. Apparently there is little to no demand for these or someone would sell them. Probably costs more to tool up,market and ship than you could make. Contact B. Jewett. He knows a lot about this stuff.
If the guy on Ebay is no longer selling them you could try to contact him.

The way I got my first three ball size gauges is by knowing someone. The first was in about 1975 from the maintenance supervisor at the Student Union who dealt with machinists who could bore (or cut?) two holes in a steel plate. The second two were from a friend who had a precision wire EDM machine. Unless you find a machinist pool player friend, I'm guessing a go/no-go pair of holes will cost $100 or so.

What EDM can do:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the guy on Ebay is no longer selling them you could try to contact him.

The way I got my first three ball size gauges is by knowing someone. The first was in about 1975 from the maintenance supervisor at the Student Union who dealt with machinists who could bore (or cut?) two holes in a steel plate. The second two were from a friend who had a precision wire EDM machine. Unless you find a machinist pool player friend, I'm guessing a go/no-go pair of holes will cost $100 or so.

What EDM can do:
I have no contact info for the guy.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend a 2-3” micrometer. You can get a used top name brand such as starrett, mitutoyo, or brown and sharp, for like $30 on eBay. No one wants them anymore. The mechanical ones, not the digital.

Or, you can get a new Chinese digital one for about $50.

You want micrometers. Not calipers. They look like the letter C.

That will be the most accurate way to measure a ball that can be done without specialized equipment.

The go no-go gauges unless they are made to high accuracy and inspected, I doubt will be any good at all. Especially if they are selling for a few bucks.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The go no-go gauges unless they are made to high accuracy and inspected, I doubt will be any good at all. Especially if they are selling for a few bucks.
The ones made of fiberglass that were mentioned recently seem to be pretty good. I tested the one (actually a set of four) that I got and the holes appeared to be round and the correct sizes.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have no contact info for the guy.
I've looked a little and can't find my order info. I also note that there are at least two different ones that have been sold on Ebay. One is three holes in single piece of green plastic. The other is four (or five?) holes in separate sections of a fan-like stack.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The ones made of fiberglass that were mentioned recently seem to be pretty good. I tested the one (actually a set of four) that I got and the holes appeared to be round and the correct sizes.
Judging by the number of balls that went thru the holes and the ones that didn’t, I’d say that plastic gage was spot on.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member

Agreed. With some aluminum plate (or maybe my favorite, old (or new) Teflon cutting board) it would only take about 20 minutes to hole-saw then bore accurate (+/- 0.001") each hole.

Dave

Robotron

I recommend a 2-3” micrometer. You can get a used top name brand such as starrett, mitutoyo, or brown and sharp, for like $30 on eBay. No one wants them anymore. The mechanical ones, not the digital.

Or, you can get a new Chinese digital one for about $50.

You want micrometers. Not calipers. They look like the letter C.

That will be the most accurate way to measure a ball that can be done without specialized equipment.

The go no-go gauges unless they are made to high accuracy and inspected, I doubt will be any good at all. Especially if they are selling for a few bucks.
Yes I did consider a micrometer, Great for the measurement. But thinking the gauge may be good for also testing for roundness, which the micrometer could not?

Hopefully someone can remember the eBay seller?

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully someone can remember the eBay seller?
This is the person I got the fiberglass(?) set from, you can try the "contact" link I guess:

They came with an entertaining page of instructions which probably had contact info, but I don't know where that is, can look later.
1642684070210.png

They seem to work very well. Of passing interest is that a every ball in a set of NOS (unused) 20 year old Aramiths was significantly undersized. I suspect they shrink with age, not just use.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. With some aluminum plate (or maybe my favorite, old (or new) Teflon cutting board) it would only take about 20 minutes to hole-saw then bore accurate (+/- 0.001") each hole.

Dave
And sell a plate of them with 3 holes and text etching for $12? He must be making them another way. Or maybe that’s why he stopped making them.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DB963C99-8D09-4ACE-A523-573907784ADA.jpeg

These parts are laser cut. I can try out pool ball sizes and see how they work. If successful, and there is interest, I can have a few sets made.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thought I got them on Ebay but I can't find a purchase record or another one on there.

1642703344869.png 1642703154924.png