Balls that jump on to the rail and roll back on to the table

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Two questions:

14.1 game cue ball jumps rolls on the rail and back on to the table.
Is it a foul?

14.1 game cue ball strikes object ball, object ball jumps onto rail and rails back on the table.
Is it a foul?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I think you are wrong. Please tell me where you come up with the rule.
A7A495A4-5AD7-4616-9C7C-EFF9C49FB97B.jpeg

The rule says driven off table is only if ball comes to rest off the table.

I think that implies the surface above the rail can be used during play.

Cclark02

Thank you. I tried to find the rule, but couldn't. Had this happen to me playing a 9 ball league match. I questioned it but told not scratch.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget where to look for this, but something about playing surface of the table and object balls. Basically every interpretation I’ve been given is; the cloth of the rail is good, the pockets are good to contact the top of. If a ball contacts your cue, chalk, clothing, hair, or the wood/laminate of the table, it is a foul.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Forget where to look for this, but something about playing surface of the table and object balls. Basically every interpretation I’ve been given is; the cloth of the rail is good, the pockets are good to contact the top of. If a ball contacts your cue, chalk, clothing, hair, or the wood/laminate of the table, it is a foul.
The hard part of the rail is OK at pool. It is not OK at carom. It is OK at snooker.

One of the reasons to keep chalk off the table is if for when the cue ball rides the rail. I'm not sure what's supposed to happen if the cue ball hits your opponent's chalk while up there.

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
The hard part of the rail is OK at pool. It is not OK at carom. It is OK at snooker.

One of the reasons to keep chalk off the table is if for when the cue ball rides the rail. I'm not sure what's supposed to happen if the cue ball hits your opponent's chalk while up there.

WPA:

8.5 Driven off the Table

A ball is considered driven off the table if it comes to rest other than on the playing surface but is not pocketed. A ball is also considered driven off the table if it would have been driven off the table except for striking an object such as a light fixture, piece of chalk or a player which causes it to return to the table. A ball that contacts the top of the rail is not considered to have been driven off the table if it returns to the playing surface or enters a pocket.

So on technicality it seems there would be situations where it can go both ways.

If it was riding the rail and rolling back down the slope of the cushion back to the playing surface and contacted an errant chalk, then no foul.

If its Redirected from jumping overboard and saved from committing suicide…penalty is death by firing squad lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a position shot that sometimes the cue ball will hop off the playing surface and bounce along the top of the cushion a short distance and then back on to the table.
Anybody know the shot?

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
There is a position shot that sometimes the cue ball will hop off the playing surface and bounce along the top of the cushion a short distance and then back on to the table.
Anybody know the shot?

Yea it’s especially useful when straight in on the end rail and very close to cushion…to get back up table without having to resort to top draw

Good shot for to keep in the bag!

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea it’s especially useful when straight in on the end rail and very close to cushion…to get back up table without having to resort to top draw

Good shot for to keep in the bag!

yup you know the shot.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anybody know the shot?
The cue ball comes down partly on the nose of the cushion and is bumped sideways, usually. It was a much easier shot on the thicker cloth.

Another version goes up on the rail more to keep the cue ball out of the kiss on a bank along the foot rail at one pocket.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member

When running a pool league, I've researched this rule back in the 1990s.
The rail is part of the playing surface (unless league rules differ). As long as the ball does not touch a foreign object and returns to the table (playing surface) it is not a foul.
Eg: We've seen plenty of object balls leaving the playing surface by dropping in the pocket then bouncing out and returning to the table. Play resumes normally, tho plenty of choice words are usually spewed.
There's Snooker video's showing a ball riding the rail for several inches/centimeters then returning to the playing surface, no foul and normal play resumes.
To me it's unknown about Carom games.

slim123

Thank you. I tried to find the rule, but couldn't. Had this happen to me playing a 9 ball league match. I questioned it but told not scratch.
Well, think of t like this, if you are playing 9 ball, you are allowed to jump balls, and since the ball came back to the table, my guess is it's not a foul

In texas 3 foul we always bounce the ball off of the rail to get a hit and then get safe, not a foul there