Baltimore "buddy" Daniel Dennis passed on.....

One Rock

Registered
There you go, some words of wisdom here. I got conned out of my entire bankroll (about $1,500) when I was maybe twenty years old. I kind of smelled a rat but went for it anyway. I never forgot that "lesson" and always trusted my instincts after that. I can't say I've ever been conned since then, although many have tried (and for a lot more money!). :grin:

In the early 70's I took Buddy to a small bar across the street from Paramount Studios, where a lot of well paid guys hung out after work. I got a tip they were gambling pretty good in there. I stopped in on a Friday night and watched them banging balls around on the bar table, laughing it up and throwing money around. I couldn't break the ice and get in the game so I gave Buddy a shot at it. He looked good, spoke well and laid it down like a champ. I dropped him off outside because if I went in with him they would know something was up. I told him ahead of time what to expect and he assured me he could handle it. The first night Buddy won over a $1,000 in there and went back a week later (on Friday!) and won another thousand before they finally got wise to him. That was a big score back then and I'm pretty sure buddy was straight with me on the count. Jimmy Mataya beat that place for a couple of thou too when they were shooting The Baltimore Bullet across the street.

Jay Helfert, you and I can play a 5K set of One-Pocket. If you win, I'll take back what I said about your "nice" friend. If I win, you acknowledge that what I said about Buddy Dennis is all true.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yeah, go ahead and justify his actions so you can continue mourning him. He ran away in the dark of the night with my $2K, never to come back again to the DC/Baltimore area. There are at least 10 folks to whom he owed a lot of money. Some of these folks died since. I don't see anyone mourning them, and certainly Buddy Dennis didn't give a damn when they passed. If you think he was that great of a player, let me tell you he was just another lamb killer, nothing more.

Whatever doesn't kill you will make you stronger. The bad news is you lost a lot more than $2,000. You allowed your hatred to consume you. That's an even bigger loss and affects all areas of your life. Only you can answer that question.

I once took a pool player into my home, gave him food and some stake money. He returned my generosity by stealing my cue and my pocket money and leaving in the middle of the night. I didn't see him for another twenty years. He showed up one year at DCC and I walked over to him. He profusely apologized to me for his transgressions, but thankfully I really didn't care any more. I felt good knowing that I was the bigger man. I had wronged no one!

Another guy used to harass me in high school. He was much bigger than me and had a whole cliche/gang that hung around with him. I bumped into him at my 40th high school reunion and he couldn't be too nice to me. We both remembered but it was unspoken. I had grown stronger (mentally and physically) and he had gotten fat. He knew better than to mess with me now.

Good luck to you One Rock. I'm sure you're a good ethical man. There are a LOT of pool players I have known over the years (some of them very well known) that I could tell some demeaning stories about, but why? What purpose would it serve? Would it make me feel better, no!

One last thing. I have also loaned money to a multitude of pool players, very little of which has ever been repaid as promised. Some of them I see from time to time and say nothing. It's better to be on my end of this equation than theirs. I don't need the money and I don't have to look over my shoulder to see who's coming.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay Helfert, you and I can play a 5K set of One-Pocket. If you win, I'll take back what I said about your "nice" friend. If I win, you acknowledge that what I said about Buddy Dennis is all true.

Are you trying to hustle me? Ha Ha
And all this time I thought you were a nice guy who was wronged. Now I know who you really are. You're just like Buddy, cut from the same cloth. Please don't tell us again how he wronged you.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
IMG_3427.PNG

---------------

One Rock

Registered
And all this time I thought you were a nice guy who was wronged. Now I know who you really are. You're just like Buddy, cut from the same cloth. Please don't tell us again how he wronged you.

Hey Jay, as I said before, I laughed at his cowardice when he did what he did. I hold no grudge and feel no anger towards the guy. I just find it ironic that folks out here are celebrating the life of a con man who's only notable accomplishments were to rob people. On the other hand, you clearly achieved a lot more than he did; you wrote a couple of books.

Today, I had my picture taken with Pete Margo, a true pool icon (http://www.petermargo.com/biography.html). Here's a guy who won just about everything in his day, and when he realized thee's no money in pool, he walked away, built a business, and became a millionaire. You want to elevate the game's image, celebrate the Pete Margo's of the world and dodge the "Baltimore Bullet".

One Rock

Registered

No, just trying to stir the pot, create some action.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, I made $13M since. It has nothing to do with the money. I'm angry not at Buddy Dennis, but at the suckers and morons like you who are mourning and glorifying a two-bit con man. Go ahead and idolize a thief; let's see how far the game will go with that sort of mindset.

It is only through mercy that any of us can hope for eternal life .
We cannot expect to be shown mercy unless we are able to give it.
I know, easy to say , but hard to do.
But, what hope is there if we don't try our best?

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey Jay, as I said before, I laughed at his cowardice when he did what he did. I hold no grudge and feel no anger towards the guy. I just find it ironic that folks out here are celebrating the life of a con man who's only notable accomplishments were to rob people. On the other hand, you clearly achieved a lot more than he did; you wrote a couple of books.

Today, I had my picture taken with Pete Margo, a true pool icon (http://www.petermargo.com/biography.html). Here's a guy who won just about everything in his day, and when he realized thee's no money in pool, he walked away, built a business, and became a millionaire. You want to elevate the game's image, celebrate the Pete Margo's of the world and dodge the "Baltimore Bullet".

I guess if you put it that way I did achieve something; two books and a 20M real estate portfolio. :)

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calling J.C. and Lou

In this case, let's jack it up to 10K.

Be careful what you ask for.

I'm asking hoping I might get it.

J.C. ,Lou come on get in here and show these guys how to bark at each other on az.
I'm sure both of them know how but are just holding back. Jay, One Rock start
a new thread and get it going. Maybe partners, or ring game woffin. This is pool
like it used to be back when it was fun and POPULAR. And right in the middle of a
thread about an old scuff that passed. To hell with all that improve it's image crap,
I've been hearing that for 50 years.
jack

Keith E.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m your Huckleberry One Rock ……. I’m free , retired and love playing strangers, let’s get it , I’ll come to your home town and play you some 9ball , 10ball and One Pocket …….

Buddy was always a gentleman to me as well …… Also I see that you couldn’t beat him back in the day so that tells me that you weren’t a good player and you probably aren’t now… Easy Pickens far as I can see ! Anyway, you got action bud . I’m 52 years old retired and nothing to do but bust bullies !!!!!!!

GS,

It's possible that you may have to find another "bully" to bust.

Keith