Bar/House cue tips

NineBallNut

Silver Member
What are everyones thoughts on the best tip to use for replacement on house or bar cues? I used to use LePros, however I am getting tired of having to sort through and figure out which ones are good or not. I end up cutting a lot of them off and having to start over. Just looking for opinions on a better more consistent tip for this situation.

Suggestions?

Strokerz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been using royal oak tips for years. Cheap, and they seem to hold up good. Muellers sells them as well as most other suppliers. They run about $7 a box for 50 tips. I get the 14 mm's. Try em out.

Graciocues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I replace a lot of bar cues and don't use lepros, they split or chip. I was replacing about 25% within a month. For some reason bar cues take a lot of abuse so I use med hard-hard triangle tips now. I like the price of the royal oak tips that Strokerz mentioned, I will try a box.
Are the royal oaks sot/med/hard?
What do you charge to do a tip? Ferrul? on bar cues.

Scott

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
NineBallNut said:
What are everyones thoughts on the best tip to use for replacement on house or bar cues? I used to use LePros, however I am getting tired of having to sort through and figure out which ones are good or not. I end up cutting a lot of them off and having to start over. Just looking for opinions on a better more consistent tip for this situation.

Suggestions?
had the same problem
i put a post on a few weeks ago about the crappy lepros
i also had a problem with triangles
atlas recognizes there is a problem, but, nothing will change
atlas has advised the manufacturer and atlas gets nothing but the run around
i had a long conversation with john about it
i don't know what we should do, just bite the bullet and deal with it, or hope the hell something changes soon
the last few house cues i've done, i put on hard buffalos!!!! ;)
99% of the users of those house cues prolly can't shoot anyway!! lol
or know the difference in tips

NineBallNut

Silver Member
thanks for the replies guys. I had though about using water buffalo tips, I was just afraid they might be a little hard. As for Triangles, I am starting to experience the same problems as the lepros, just not as often. Will have to give the royal oaks a try

Thanks

Rob

Strokerz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The royal oak's are a med tip. I havent had any crack or dry rot. Most replacing I do is beacuse of dropped cues and tips popping off this way. I charge other bars $3-5 per cue depending on how may thet send me. I clean the ferrule and make everything look nice. We have 144 house cues out here at Strokerz and right now I have 3 that need worked on 2 ferrules replaced and 1 tip. So my work and materials seem to be holdign up pretty good:D

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Super Pro tips hold up much longer and play much better. PM me in you want to try some.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like every one is jumping on these. I still have a lot left so now is the time before they run out.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BHQ said:
had the same problem
i put a post on a few weeks ago about the crappy lepros
i also had a problem with triangles
atlas recognizes there is a problem, but, nothing will change
atlas has advised the manufacturer and atlas gets nothing but the run around
i had a long conversation with john about it
i don't know what we should do, just bite the bullet and deal with it, or hope the hell something changes soon
the last few house cues i've done, i put on hard buffalos!!!! ;)
99% of the users of those house cues prolly can't shoot anyway!! lol
or know the difference in tips

I was having some issues on the house cues with them Too Brent (not sure if they were the same as yours), but someone mentioned in that post about getting them in the half sizes. One of My suppliers carried them in the 13.5mm as mentioned in that thread, and it seems to make a big difference matching the right size tip to the correct size ferrule. The last four boxes I bought seem to be good, but didn't come from atlas. I was having a hand full per week or every 2 weeks coming back, now, It's less then 2 cues a month if that. Actually probably 2 cues in the last 2-3 months.

I can't deny that super pros may be a good replacement on house cues, and i've already mentioned that I like the tips and feel they have their uses, but My guy wants lepros on all his cues regardless, and can't talk him out of them, so I had to learn to deal with them. So far so good.:)

Greg

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
You have to learn to grade them better. Tap them on a hard surface, and note how they cut when you trim and shape them. In time, you sholuld be able to eliminate the bad ones before you ever put them on the cues.

Are super pros those insanely hard, red tips? Layered?

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sheldon said:
You have to learn to grade them better. Tap them on a hard surface, and note how they cut when you trim and shape them. In time, you sholuld be able to eliminate the bad ones before you ever put them on the cues.

Are super pros those insanely hard, red tips? Layered?

That's for sure. The problem I was having before was falling between sizes, and cutting through the tanning, then they go to mush at that point. For whatever reasons I'm not having that problem anymore.

Yep, on the super pros, those are the ones- red w/black layers. Possibly the black is the glue though, not sure. They are great for breaking IMO, and for someone that can play with hard tips, they aren't too bad, but definatly not for everyone on a playing cue IMO, just the same as a hard tip in general woud'nt be.

Greg

socks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
NineBallNut said:
thanks for the replies guys. I had though about using water buffalo tips, I was just afraid they might be a little hard. As for Triangles, I am starting to experience the same problems as the lepros, just not as often. Will have to give the royal oaks a try

Thanks

Rob

Le Pro and Triangle are both manufactured by Tweeten. if its an acknowledged manufacturing issue as stated by BHQ, then its likely you'll experiance the same issue with Royal Oak as these are manufactured by Tweeten as well.

http://www.tweeten.us/cuetips.html

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Royal Oak tips are garbage!!! they play hard, do not hold chalk, and mushroom like crazy. Add to all that they are as thin as you could make a tip. Worst tip ever. You will not get the same issues, you will get much worse!!!

Last edited:

Ridge Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Try some SUMO's. They hold chalk well and last longer than most. They hit similair to triangles and Lepro.
later
John

tsp&b

Silver Member
cuemaker03 said:
Royal Oak tips are garbage!!! they play hard, do not hold chalk, and mushroom like crazy. Add to all that they are as thin as you could make a tip. Worst tip ever. You will not get the same issues, you will get much worse!!!

Yes... But they are cheap! (cheap, cheap, cheap):)

La Pro tips seem to be the victim of their own success! They are in such high demand by production cue companies that in trying to keep up with demand, Tweeten seems to have lost much of their quality control. However I still use a lot of La Pro tips, but I take the time to press them before putting them on. Of course if you don't want to take the time to do that then I have found Sumo tips to offer very good consistancy.

Last edited: