BCAPL Nationals Moving To March!!!

BobFromPV

Registered
This doesn't make sense to me

Wow this is awesome news!!! Starting in 2020 the BCAPL Nationals will abandon their sizzling July dates and move to mid-March. After that the dates will fluctuate sightly between late February and early April. March is my favorite month to be in Vegas! So happy that CSI has made this change. I'm sure all of my players will be thrilled as well.

No change of venue...CSI is staying at the Rio.

Not sure why everyone is griping about the heat. We spend the entire time in air-conditioned spaces. Not only does this date conflict with other tournaments, it also conflicts with the NCAA basketball tournament (unless they choose the first half of March). And ditto the comments about the junior players and school. This isn't a good way to grow the sport.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
It's funny because Vegas at Riviera was always in May..Then Mark changed it to July because he said,"people were complaining that they still had kids in school and graduation" and he changed the date to July...Now he says people are complaining about the heat so he changed it again back to May......?????

I personally don't care because any Month is OK for me.....And yes, adding a silver division for teams was a great move....

Northern states are cold as is Canada. Pool players in droves come from winter climates, like WI. Late spring is always nice coming from cold to warm. Now in the summer, the northern states all have lakes and outdoor activities.

Another thought, in the spring time hotel rates are higher, and in the dead of summer the hotel rates are the lowest, why.....who wants to be in Vegas in the summer, the bums don't even wear tee shirts. I was passing thru two years ago in early June, it was 110 degrees. If I want that kinda heat I'll find it elsewhere.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hopefully by 2020 it gets moved back on the strip? Maybe Bally's, MGM, or anything besides the Rio.

sbpoolleague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why everyone is griping about the heat. We spend the entire time in air-conditioned spaces. Not only does this date conflict with other tournaments, it also conflicts with the NCAA basketball tournament (unless they choose the first half of March). And ditto the comments about the junior players and school. This isn't a good way to grow the sport.

How does it conflict with the NCAA tourney? You watch it on TV anyway. What better place to watch it than in Vegas?

And a significant number of people stay at the Gold Coast for the Nationals. That walk to and from the Rio is brutal when it's 115.

And all CSI has to do is sponsor a junior tourney in the summer and we have that covered. In my opinion, having a junior event in Vegas is plain stupid.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How does it conflict with the NCAA tourney? You watch it on TV anyway. What better place to watch it than in Vegas?

And a significant number of people stay at the Gold Coast for the Nationals. That walk to and from the Rio is brutal when it's 115.

And all CSI has to do is sponsor a junior tourney in the summer and we have that covered. In my opinion, having a junior event in Vegas is plain stupid.

When I made my post, I was not talking about the junior CSI event, but kids (of college age also) playing in the USAPL and CSI leagues. Maybe other areas don't have that issue, but in MA, we have quite a few kids in the league that are good players that are in high school or middle school. In fact the "Go To Vegas" tournament our USAPL league does for singles entries and plane/hotel was won three times by my son when he was 16 and 17 LOL,. And other times that event has been won by girls that same age. One year my son won the 8 ball and another girl his age won the 9 ball. Let me tell you, grown-ups are not happy when they lose to a 16/17 year old LOL

But as I said, our area may be not normal since I don't hear much about other areas with where kids are in the normal leagues and are treated like normal players instead of junior players.

Here we have two juniors winning both spots in 10 Ball https://www.facebook.com/pg/neusapoolleague/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1475245165860730

My son winning same year in 2017 in 9 ball https://www.facebook.com/pg/neusapoolleague/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1461635620555018

This is my son winning in 2016 in 9 ball, after he won in 8 ball a day earlier LOL https://www.facebook.com/pg/neusapoolleague/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1143894762329107 8 ball win https://www.facebook.com/pg/neusapoolleague/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1142975829087667

I guess overall it may be better since there may be more people willing to go, but I don't think the weather was the issue for most players. Those that want to play in it, will go in summer or not.

Last edited:

NINEBALLART

NINEBALLART
Silver Member
Hopefully by 2020 it gets moved back on the strip? Maybe Bally's, MGM, or anything besides the Rio.

It's a 15 - 20 year plan...It's not moving from the Rio...Date's are for several years.....It's back and forth from Feb to May till 2030 something..

Captain18

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My opinion and that of my team.... we liked May the best.
Heard a lot of people complain when it moved to July, coincided with too many family vacations and also not many people like staying at the Rio.
Possibly the fact that the WSOP is now running the same time has pushed this move.... Regardless, getting away from the Rio would be nice, but apparently not happening,

Never been to Vegas in March, looking forward to it.

uwate

daydreaming about pool
Silver Member
APA has been playing singles nationals in April for a long while now and they still have a good turnout. March/April has its advantages for some, disadvantages for others...but doesn't that also apply for the July dates? I wish them good fortune, hopefully they can get a different result than the declines they have seen recently.