Bergman ran a 19-pack, I think it's the highest package on video.

CanadianGuy

I agree with your premise. But to get a little finer tuned.

At the Asian Open in the finals Aranas broke and ran 9 of 12 of his breaks (and lost) and Ko won the event with 6 of his 12 racks being table runs. I recall that was also 9-ball on a 9 foot table with a template rack, no break box, and the 3 point rule in place. So that was 75% for Aranas and 63% between them.

Take that down to a bar box without a 3 point rule, I’m thinking the break and run likelihood could be closer to 80% under those conditions for a 800 Fargo. That would be 1.4% chance of occurring.
it has to be well under 80%, at 1.4% we would be seeing these types of runs every couple of tournaments

that run by Aranas was freaky, i'm surprised it did not receive more discussion here

as a sample size, think about the biggest recorded runs you have seen over the past few years at bar table nine ball

I can't even recall a 10 pack

what kind of B&R percentage was Shane putting up when he won his titles?

iba7467

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't the rear ball typically go uptable, just the 1 does when it misses the side pocket? Is the idea to give the breaker the best chance to get a run started? My break isn't consistent enough to study and exploit this but there should be a pattern that sends consecutive balls to opposite ends of the table at least somewhat reliably.
It is generally thought to be a disadvantage to the breaker as it makes the location. To the 2 ball more random than if it is up top.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Souqet said he ran 27 racks of eight ball while preparing for the IPT tour.

Link to old AZ thread: https://forums.azbilliards.com/threads/ralf-souquet-27-b-r-in-8-ball.98022/
Yes that’s the number. I couldn’t recall when I wrote the post. I was thinking it was between 22 & 30 which is too fuzzy of a number for a good post, so I just said “big”.

Thank you for the number, I just couldn’t get close enough to be “off by a hair”. I never guess when I post-if I know I’ll say so, sometimes I’m wrong, but I never guess or exaggerate.

Thank you again,
Fatboy😃😃

Can you imagine running even 10 in a row?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it has to be well under 80%, at 1.4% we would be seeing these types of runs every couple of tournaments

that run by Aranas was freaky, i'm surprised it did not receive more discussion here

as a sample size, think about the biggest recorded runs you have seen over the past few years at bar table nine ball

I can't even recall a 10 pack

what kind of B&R percentage was Shane putting up when he won his titles?

I struggle to recall any times I’ve seen our top pros play bar box 9 ball with a template and virtually no breaking restrictions.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While I could not run this amount as I am into my early 70's now. I do find it somewhat underwhelming.. One, because I am not a fan of bar boxes and never have been.. Two, because it is nine ball on a bar box. Nonetheless it is quite an accomplishment on his part; but I would be far more impressed if it had been on a standard nine foot Diamond..
JMO!

Well yea you can put any accomplishment with a "it would have been more impressive if...". The 14.1 high run would be more impressive on a 10 foot table with 4.25" pockets, the landing on the moon would have been more impressive if the moon was 20 times further away, the ugly guy married to a model would be more impressive if he was not a millionaire and we can go on for a while LOL

The point of it being something special is "how many others have done it under the same circumstances?" If it's say 1/4 of the people that tried it, eh, no biggie. If it's like 10 or 100 out of a million that tried, that's a bit more impressive.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn’t read the entire thread, sorry if this has already been posted. The full run is now on YouTube. The commentary is pretty fun…

✌️
The 'good' nines still bother me. They even started the official string on a concession and on what they thought was 10, another concession.
Is there an official set of qualifications for short rack strings?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 'good' nines still bother me. They even started the official string on a concession and on what they thought was 10, another concession.
Is there an official set of qualifications for short rack strings?

No, but I can't think of anyone that would give up the 9 ball they thought there was a chance of missing. And all the ones he was given were easy. Just because the opponent is OK with giving up a ball or even two or three should not affect the "run" part of the rack. I do have an issue with a 9 on the break being counted though because that had no effort of play in it LOL

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, but I can't think of anyone that would give up the 9 ball they thought there was a chance of missing. And all the ones he was given were easy. Just because the opponent is OK with giving up a ball or even two or three should not affect the "run" part of the rack. I do have an issue with a 9 on the break being counted though because that had no effort of play in it LOL
I agree the notion can be deemed frivolous but any shot can be mishit and in the context of a string, requires pocketing. Granted, Bergman was under no apparent stress or likely to dog anything but when records are ventured, all the technicalities count.
The tainted string aside, ALL the outs - even the dead ones, were amazing.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
That’s cooking with gas right there. Damn strong.
How strong would that be if he didn't start smashing the rack and losing control of the one ball? I think if he would have stayed with the soft break he would have run a lot more, but one will never know.

SFC9ball

JimBaker PBIA Instructor
Silver Member
its a bar table ... calm down everyone
Yeah its a bar table but Justin could do it on a 9 ft too with a magic rack and soft breaking. The guy is a beast, I have seen him play on tight equipment and make it look like a barbox!

Zerksies

Honestly if i were to run a tournament. It would have a variety of skills/games needed to win. Break and runs would be a good part of the competition or play the ghost would be one event.

xX-Wizard-Xx

That just goes to show how much you know! Have you ever seen Justin play in person on a 9 ft table? If not your statement means.
it doesnt matter ... pretty sure 19 racks on a bar table is completely different than on a 9ft tight pocket table ... find some other idiot to convince