Best Black Players Of All Time

Bigkat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched a live stream about a year ago. There was an older black guy (has to be about 80 years of age). He was knowledgeable and talking plenty of trash LOL. He said "Cole Dickson, you know Cole Dickson" They lady co-host replied "Yes I do" he said "Cole Dickson NEVER beat me. NEVER could. Regardless of the game or what I gave him he could never win"LOL...I think this older black guy was from California/L.A. area

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lucky Charms, also known as Sizzle Adams. He's been cuttin' up some of the best one-pocket players for more than a decade. I think he's been running around Toronto and Windsor/Detroit for awhile now. I last seen him about 6 or 7 years ago at Amsterdam Billiards in NYC. He killed Gabe, 8 ahead for 4500. Then demolished another dude who was with Gabe, I think it was Wheldon? spotting him the break and 10-8. Just ran over these two, schooling them in one hole. I never saw Bugs Rucker play, but this guy was dominating and incredibly talented.

Well, presuming it is Owens and Walden...that is powerful.

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Efren would not give anything, in any game, to mark tadd. At least at the one conversation I listened to at the bicycle club. Mark tadd could not get 9 to 8 from efren. I got the distinct impression none of the Philippinos wanted anything to do with him actually. This was early 90's I don't know the exact year.

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
Efren would not give anything, in any game, to mark tadd. At least at the one conversation I listened to at the bicycle club. Mark tadd could not get 9 to 8 from efren. I got the distinct impression none of the Philippinos wanted anything to do with him actually. This was early 90's I don't know the exact year.
I The The The

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
,, I I ,. *. , I,**I will,yd in hi I'm by. (^^) IMG950691.jpgIMG950691.jpgIMG950691.jpgIMG950691.jpg

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is my understanding from several reliable sources that in the 91-92 neighborhood, Mark Tadd played as well as *anyone*. Nearly Strickland-Sigel level in 9 ball, and certainly not getting weight from them, but 2nd to none in 1 hole and banks. That's what I heard anyway.

KMRUNOUT

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is my understanding from several reliable sources that in the 91-92 neighborhood, Mark Tadd played as well as *anyone*. Nearly Strickland-Sigel level in 9 ball, and certainly not getting weight from them, but 2nd to none in 1 hole and banks. That's what I heard anyway.

KMRUNOUT

In the 1993 Los Angeles Open, Mark won the 9-Ball over a strong 128 man field, won the Bank Pool beating Donny Anderson in the finals and played Steve Cook in the finals of the One Pocket, losing a tight match. Mark was willing to play anybody for money not named Jose Parica. No one would gamble with Jose back then, not Earl, not Sigel, not even Buddy!

James Evans was unquestionably the best black player of all time (the only man who could play Greenleaf even and sometimes win for $), with Youngblood Washington second and Cisero Murphy third. Bugs was the second best Bank Pool player, behind only Eddie Taylor and John "Cannonball" Chapman was third. Marvin Henderson at one time was the only player willing to play Ronnie even. He actually beat Ronnie in a money game (6K) a short time after Ronnie won the Stardust tournament. He refused to give Ronnie a rematch though. Everyone else trails these guys imo.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
'black nate' out of louisiana was a top 1 hole player in the 60's and 70's

THAT'S TRUE! He gave me 10-5 back in the day for $50 a game. This was in 1984 fwiw so he was playing pretty good even in the 80's Also a fine golfer from what I heard. (Had a little style about him and a gift of gab-drove a Mercedes for a while, dressed nice.)

Nate also had a diffifcult one pocket drill that he did better than anyone I have ever seen. Smooth as silk stroke.

JoeyA

Last edited:

rhinobywilhite

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best reply thus far!:D

Am not trying to be controversial and, as you say, your list is based on players you have personally watched play but I have a personal observation of Gabby and Cannonball.

Gabby came into a pool hall that I co-owned in Alvin, Texas on a number of occasions He played in some of the tournaments and I observed him gambling in Houston, Texas.

He should be in your honorable mentions list because he was not in Cannonball's level of play. Jersey Red, who I first met in 1963, sad Cannonball was second only to Eddie Taylor in banks. I can tell you that he was a great 9 ball player, also. Sadly, alcohol was his undoing but in the 60's he was a Lion!

I really enjoyed the list you came up with, though and I hope Josh Roberts is headed toward a mention in future lists. He has certainly elevated his play n the last year or so.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was glad to see Rags Woods name mentioned in the previous threads. Of all the Black Players very few could beat him in 14.1. Probably only Ciscero and James Evans. He's the only Black Player to make it on Wide World of Sports on National TV. James Brown AKA Youngblood is only 66 years old and if he came back to the game, many of todays One Pocket and Bank players would have their hands full. He was one of the most naturally gifted players I have ever seen and he could charm you out of your money as well a beat you out of it. He never had a problem getting out with the money because of his great personality. One last player out of Detroit whose name I may get incorrect was Brumberg I think. He's gone now but his One Pocket game was as good or better than Cliff or Josh. He played during the mid 80's. I hope someone could chime in on his game and information about him.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I was glad to see Rags Woods name mentioned in the previous threads. Of all the Black Players very few could beat him in 14.1. Probably only Ciscero and James Evans. He's the only Black Player to make it on Wide World of Sports on National TV. James Brown AKA Youngblood is only 66 years old and if he came back to the game, many of todays One Pocket and Bank players would have their hands full. He was one of the most naturally gifted players I have ever seen and he could charm you out of your money as well a beat you out of it. He never had a problem getting out with the money because of his great personality. One last player out of Detroit whose name I may get incorrect was Brumberg I think. He's gone now but his One Pocket game was as good or better than Cliff or Josh. He played during the mid 80's. I hope someone could chime in on his game and information about him.

That would be Romberg....pretty sure.
Watched him play California John McCue back-pocket nine-ball a lot.
He tortured Weeny Beanie for about sixty thou at one-hole.

Around Chicago way, for a while he would dress up with a cape...go to strange rooms..
..would say "I AM the caped crusader and I will give anybody 8-7 at banks."
....did pretty good at that act

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chicago and Philly

Leonard "Bugs" Rucker
Chuck Green
Paul Jones
Jet Johnson
Ike Runnels
Watusi Slim (Horace)
Edward "Chick" Davis

Pics!

Attachments

• Bugs Funeral.jpg
    Bugs Funeral.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 761
  • Chick Davis Mural Philly w Mosconi.jpg
    Chick Davis Mural Philly w Mosconi.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 773
  • Edward Chick Davis.jpg
    Edward Chick Davis.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 767

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Javanley "Youngblood" Washington. He used to spot Bugs Rucker 10-8 in banks, that's strong.