AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forest Whitaker beat Fast Eddie, and he was stalling, might even be better if
he would lose some weight.
jack

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I'd like to hear more on this if anybody knows. My grandfather was a childhood friend of Jackie Robinson and it had a big influence on his life but I can't find any other mention of Robinson as a great pool player.
He is a personal friend of mine as well as many mentioned on here!

Jackie is William Morton and got his nickname from being a outstanding baseball player in his day!

He won the first or second ever BCA individual championship! Google the information and local newspaper even wrote about it!

Bus driver is my mentor and very deserving of more credit than he gets! He has a gear and speed that places him very high on the list. Especially his one pocket and 8 ball. Top players didn't stand a chance!

He retired and does lessons now! Can't get any better than him to learn from. Especially in the Maryland, DC and Virginia area

Only reason I chimed in was, I thought that the nickname was causing some confusion. Some might have thought that the reference was to the baseball star and not William Morton local dc pool legend.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Am not trying to be controversial and, as you say, your list is based on players you have personally watched play but I have a personal observation of Gabby and Cannonball.

Gabby came into a pool hall that I co-owned in Alvin, Texas on a number of occasions He played in some of the tournaments and I observed him gambling in Houston, Texas.

He should be in your honorable mentions list because he was not in Cannonball's level of play. Jersey Red, who I first met in 1963, sad Cannonball was second only to Eddie Taylor in banks. I can tell you that he was a great 9 ball player, also. Sadly, alcohol was his undoing but in the 60's he was a Lion!

I really enjoyed the list you came up with, though and I hope Josh Roberts is headed toward a mention in future lists. He has certainly elevated his play n the last year or so.

I broke even on two sets of 8 ball for $20 a set with Gabby in Houston back in the early late '80s...he was just about to set the hook in me when he let me see his speed a little on a very tough out, missing a pedestrian shot after slicing balls up the rail like butter and back/cut-banking like the balls had eyes. I pulled up and am not ashamed.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Evans and Murphy

I thought James Evans was supposed to be the best black player....

Cisero Murphy had to be great player, everyone says he had an awful stroke, but he beat alot of players of his generation.

Ken

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your input was definitely needed and far better than about anybody else here coulda done.
He is a personal friend of mine as well as many mentioned on here!

Jackie is William Morton and got his nickname from being a outstanding baseball player in his day!

He won the first or second ever BCA individual championship! Google the information and local newspaper even wrote about it!

Bus driver is my mentor and very deserving of more credit than he gets! He has a gear and speed that places him very high on the list. Especially his one pocket and 8 ball. Top players didn't stand a chance!

He retired and does lessons now! Can't get any better than him to learn from. Especially in the Maryland, DC and Virginia area

Only reason I chimed in was, I thought that the nickname was causing some confusion. Some might have thought that the reference was to the baseball star and not William Morton local dc pool legend.

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I was glad to see Rags Woods name mentioned in the previous threads. Of all the Black Players very few could beat him in 14.1. Probably only Ciscero and James Evans. He's the only Black Player to make it on Wide World of Sports on National TV.
Rags? Of PHJ fame??!!!
:wink:

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best black players?

We can ask who the best player is.

We can say the Americans can't beat the Europeans at the Mosconi Cup.

We can ask who the best Pinoy player is.

We can ask who the best Asian player is.

But, if we ask who the best black player is.............

I heard Corn Bread Red was good.

jackpot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hmm

I thought that guy was white.

Are you sure ? I posted on here that I heard that Al Jolson played real good, and
someone said he was white. I looked at a picture of him and a whole bunch of
guys on stage and they were all black. I think that guy in that prison movie Shortshank
Remission named Red was supposed to be Corn Bread Red and he was black.
jack

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cornbread is a character, he did some commentary for accustats. He could definitely play some one hole too. And yeah he's white.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
Are you sure ? I posted on here that I heard that Al Jolson played real good, and
guys on stage and they were all black. I think that guy in that prison movie Shortshank
jack

I believe the name of that movie was actually the Shawshark Redemption, made after a fairly recent straight-pool event that occurred involving an infamous 2-ball.

Dexter36

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw Tademy square off with Tommy Baker 3 sets christmastime a year ago. Talk about a sight to behold, the guy has a swagger about him that is unreal, looks like he believes he can make a shot from anywhere on the table and do whatever he feels like with the cue ball, and then he backs it up!!!

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jack

This is Cornbread Red aka Billy Burge and Al Jolson

Attachments

• Cornbread_Red_2003.JPG
    Cornbread_Red_2003.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 425
  • jolson30s.jpg
    jolson30s.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 425