Best Black Players Of All Time

I know their was a thread similar to this once before;I just thought I'd add my 2 cents..

Btw,these guys are the best I have seen with my own two eyes..I've heard about Marvin Henderson,Youngblood,Cannonball etc..but I can't include them because I have never seen any of them play..So with that in mind here goes!

1.Bugs Rucker--without a doubt! One of the most feared money-players of all time ..Black or white! ..He played super strong and left many a talented pool player busted and disgusted.I watched him play many times and I found it strange that he'd shoot with his chalk still in his hand (left hand)..Bugs is a leftie..One of the greatest players to ever pick up a cue.

2.Mark Tadd--Maybe the most talented black player I have ever seen..It's too bad (for pool) that he quit in his prime..he was fearless!

3.Cliff Joyner--Cliff may be one of the top 10 best over-all players in the world today..he plays all games at a high level but most notably One-Pocket..He is considered the second best in the world in 1P.

4.Gabby--I never knew his real name..but I knew that he shot straighter than Wyatt Earp! It's a shame, what happened to him..I wish I had his talent..Gabby could REALLY play! R.I.P.

5.Cecil Tugwell--I saw Cecil play in the late 80's early 90's 1P in Cali and man........He was something else! Cecil was a character but could play with anybody in those days..I heard he has fallen on hard times over the past 15 years or so..

6.Strawberry Brooks--I honestly thought strawberry played better 1hole than Cecil but I think Cecil is the better Over-all player..Strawberry is a legend in Baltimore and in Philly..

7.Bus-driver Ronnie from D.C.--Plays really good speed..strong player..capable of putting multiple racks together.

8.Patch Eye Basheer--Moves like a ghost..He can frustrate his opponent like no other..patch-eye will have you talking to yourself!

9.Joey Barnes--Dallas Player..plays pretty sporty but can be very treacherous..can get out from anywhere..

10.Eddie Brown--Call me a homer if you want to but for years this guy was the strongest player in the state of Louisiana;save for maybe Scotty..But Eddie has beaten Reed Pierce when Reed was in his prime(taking the seven) Grady Mathews,Ronnie Wiseman,and the list goes on and on..
He was never a champion;but in his prime,he played the eight under a champion..

Hon.mention:1)Ace Brown from Utah--Super strong player that no one knows anything about outside of Utah 'cause he does'nt like to travel..I could sneak Ace in several rooms and literally clean up! Ace is a monster!
2)Ike Runnels from Chicago--Solid player,plays all games good..He may have a stronger game than a few of the players on my list but because I have'nt seen too much of him I must put him in the H.M.

Last edited:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
This guy was pretty good...

CMurphy.jpg

TheWizard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wondered why the difference, after all, skin color makes no difference to me, I have respect for all players, of all nationalities :)

Cicsero Murphy, is the only? ever player, to win the World Straight Pool title, on his first attempt and he's also a Hall Of Famer :)

Another player, from the modern day game, Ike Runnels :)

LIke I said before though, great players are great players reguardless of their race, views, whatever, as a sportsman and as a person, I have respect for them all :)

Willie

Last edited:

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
The problem with that pic

Blackjack said:
This guy was pretty good...

CMurphy.jpg

The problem with that pic is you can't see him gripping and regripping that but, cobra-style. I saw him play plenty and Ciscero was hypnotic.

JimL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BVal said:
I don't understand the difference between a great white player and a great black player. Why a seperate list? Just curious.

BVal

My exact thought when I read the name of the thread.:confused:

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Here is another picture where you can barely see his grip - perhaps Mr. Lucky has a great side-arm shot of Cisero.

For the record, most everything I have learned about pool was passed on to me directly from Cisero Murphy.

cicero_murphy.jpg

jdr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Popcorn

I used to play (10 years ago) in this old pool hall on the second floor off Dot Ave in Dorchester, MA. There used to be an old timer by the name of Popcorn who shot some pretty good 1 pocket and 3 cushion. Anybody ever here of him or know what happened to him? By the time I started playing him, he probably lost a step or two, and he may never have been one of the greats, but I just thought I'd ask because he seemed like a real class act...

No profound answer..

BVal said:
I don't understand the difference between a great white player and a great black player. Why a seperate list? Just curious.

BVal

Or agenda I am trying to solicit or impose..Just thought it would make a fun topic for conversation..

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Walt Frazier said:
Or agenda I am trying to solicit..Just thought it would make a fun topic for conversation..
Like I said - I was just curious.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
A couple of guys you are missing on your list are the late Marvin Henderson and John Chapman. Henderson won a Stardust event and other players universally envy the fluid stroke that he apparently possessed. Chapman apparently had about the most booming stroke in pool -- hence the nickname, 'Cannonball'. Cannonball is in the Bank Pool Hall of Fame. Another fellow in the Bank Pool HOF is Javanley Washington -- 'Youngblood' He was reportedly a great all around player, not just banker. And what about James Evans???

Since black players were not allowed to compete in tournaments until about '65, we are lacking info on tons of great early black players over the years, and even in the last 40 years many have continued the tradition of after hours focus vs tournaments....

edit --> On better job of reading, I see you did mention some of these guys :)

Last edited:

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Walt Frazier said:
1.Bugs Rucker--without a doubt! One of the most feared money-players of all time ..Black or white! ..He played super strong and left many a talented pool player busted and disgusted.I watched him play many times and I found it strange that he'd shoot with his chalk still in his hand (left hand)..Bugs is a leftie..One of the greatest players to ever pick up a cue.

2.Mark Tadd--Maybe the most talented black player I have ever seen..It's too bad (for pool) that he quit in his prime..he was fearless!

3.Cliff Joyner--Cliff may be one of the top 10 best over-all players in the world today..he plays all games at a high level but most notably One-Pocket..He is considered the second best in the world in 1P.QUOTE]

I read that Youngblood gave Bugs 10-8 for years and years and Bugs never beat him. Thats pretty strong! Also, is Mark Tadd bi-racial? I have heard that he is not black. Also, I have heard people say that Cliff is Native American, although I would say he is black.

MrLucky

Pool Fanatic!!
Silver Member
Lol!`

rossaroni said:
Walt Frazier said:

3.Cliff Joyner--Cliff may be one of the top 10 best over-all players in the world today..he plays all games at a high level but most notably One-Pocket..He is considered the second best in the world in 1P.QUOTE]

I read that Youngblood gave Bugs 10-8 for years and years and Bugs never beat him. Thats pretty strong! Also, is Mark Tadd bi-racial? I have heard that he is not black. Also, I have heard people say that Cliff is Native American, although I would say he is black.
I did not know Mark but everyone who did says he is Afro American, Cliff shoots out of the same spot as I do and he is Afro American ! My Uncle Cisero is the only person as far as I know to remains the only player in the history of pocket billiards competition to win a world title on his first attempt. He either won or placed near the top in straight pool events throughout the 1960s and, had a winning record in the 1983 BCA U.S. Open 14.1 Championship.! Cis also has in the record books a 250 Ball straight pool run! :)

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Walt Frazier said:
Or agenda I am trying to solicit or impose..Just thought it would make a fun topic for conversation..

I like the topic and it sounds like a good one. Black players in this sport and other sports have had a tough go at them all until the last 30 or 40 years.

What about the infamous Nate (Atlanta, New Orleans or Washington D.C. and I think Houston maybe) ? In his prime was he up there with the rest of the mentionables?

Nate gave me 10-5, 20 years ago, playing $50 a game. We broke even.

JoeyA

gregoryg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Willie Munson...

Only one I had the honor of meeting, talking with and getting trounced by is Willie Munson, out of my old home town of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Wish I could have seen him play in his world champion days. They were quite a few years before I got serious about playing pool. He still got the better of me the few times I had to play him in a tournament. When he saw I could clear the table, I never saw another open shot, I was always in a locked down safety, no way out!

bob_bushka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
MrLucky said:
rossaroni said:
I did not know Mark but everyone who did says he is Afro American, Cliff shoots out of the same spot as I do and he is Afro American ! My Uncle Cisero is the only person as far as I know to remains the only player in the history of pocket billiards competition to win a world title on his first attempt. He either won or placed near the top in straight pool events throughout the 1960s and, had a winning record in the 1983 BCA U.S. Open 14.1 Championship.! Cis also has in the record books a 250 Ball straight pool run! :)

My first cue way back in early 80's was a Cisero Murphy Signature Adam Cue. The model was the Missouri, I believe. Somebody ripped it off one night while I was in the can...I would love to find another one, obviously.

PROG8R

Gator Nation
Silver Member
gregoryg said:
Only one I had the honor of meeting, talking with and getting trounced by is Willie Munson, out of my old home town of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Wish I could have seen him play in his world champion days. They were quite a few years before I got serious about playing pool. He still got the better of me the few times I had to play him in a tournament. When he saw I could clear the table, I never saw another open shot, I was always in a locked down safety, no way out!

I just thinking the same thing. I got o play him once a tournament, but he was nowhere near the speed he used to have. It was a good match, but he got the hilla game on me with a dry break. Oh well it was an honor to play with and meet him.

Never saw them play...

1pocket said:
A couple of guys you are missing on your list are the late Marvin Henderson and John Chapman. Henderson won a Stardust event and other players universally envy the fluid stroke that he apparently possessed. Chapman apparently had about the most booming stroke in pool -- hence the nickname, 'Cannonball'. Cannonball is in the Bank Pool Hall of Fame. Another fellow in the Bank Pool HOF is Javanley Washington -- 'Youngblood' He was reportedly a great all around player, not just banker. And what about James Evans???

Since black players were not allowed to compete in tournaments until about '65, we are lacking info on tons of great early black players over the years, and even in the last 40 years many have continued the tradition of after hours focus vs tournaments....

edit --> On better job of reading, I see you did mention some of these guys :)

As I said in the beginning ..the list of guys I named were only players that I have seen in person and knew..I've heard of all of those guy's you've mentioned but I have'nt seen them hit a ball ..