Best Black Players Of All Time

I know Nate!

JoeyA said:
I like the topic and it sounds like a good one. Black players in this sport and other sports have had a tough go at them all until the last 30 or 40 years.

What about the infamous Nate (Atlanta, New Orleans or Washington D.C. and I think Houston maybe) ? In his prime was he up there with the rest of the mentionables?

Nate gave me 10-5, 20 years ago, playing $50 a game. We broke even.

JoeyA

I don't know why I did'nt think of him;but yeah,Nate could dab 'em alright..He was in NewOrleans not too long ago at Buffalo's new place..

rossaroni said:
Walt Frazier said:
1.Bugs Rucker--without a doubt! One of the most feared money-players of all time ..Black or white! ..He played super strong and left many a talented pool player busted and disgusted.I watched him play many times and I found it strange that he'd shoot with his chalk still in his hand (left hand)..Bugs is a leftie..One of the greatest players to ever pick up a cue.

2.Mark Tadd--Maybe the most talented black player I have ever seen..It's too bad (for pool) that he quit in his prime..he was fearless!

3.Cliff Joyner--Cliff may be one of the top 10 best over-all players in the world today..he plays all games at a high level but most notably One-Pocket..He is considered the second best in the world in 1P.QUOTE]

I read that Youngblood gave Bugs 10-8 for years and years and Bugs never beat him. Thats pretty strong! Also, is Mark Tadd bi-racial? I have heard that he is not black. Also, I have heard people say that Cliff is Native American, although I would say he is black.

Mark Tadd is black..I heard one of his parents is part indian..but for all intents and purposes he's black..Cliff Joyner is also black.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
It should be mentioned that these players are all great, great players compared to any and all players, of any and all colors, but who just happen to be black -- they all would hold their own against anybody of their era, or any era for that matter, in their games of choice...

tip of the hat to all of 'em!

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
I lived in Idaho when I was stationed there and both Mark and Ace came through a few times. I was in a ring game before the start of a tournament in Twins Falls, ID against Ace Brown, Tommy Baker, Kings Santy, and I think Jeff Boucher. Top players from that area and I knew I was a dog in that game but I like to get in and mix it up a little.

We were playing 5 & 10 and every chance I got to the table I was ran out. I was following Ace and couldn't make a ball on his rack. It was fun to run 3 games on some guys way better than I. Then the tourney started and I ended up making a decent score. I ended up 5th-6th in a pretty strong tournament for that area. Lost to Tommy Baker. Mark Tadd ended up getting 2nd to one of the Damian's from Utah. Lost a $50 sidebet on Mark to the other "Damien".

I was stationed in Mountain Home at the time and Ace started calling me the Mountain Home Kid at the time which I found pretty funny. Didn't stick.

I also played Mark in a tournament in Boise and ended up being 6-1 down going to 7. Ended up bringing it back to 6-5 and then ended up jawing a ball on an easy 3 ball runout. He ended up going through the losers bracket and beating Justin Bergman in the finals pretty easily.

Anyways, both Mark and Ace are good people. I really enjoyed talking & playing against the both of them.

smittie1984

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've watched Cliff Joyner play and he is pretty amazing. I've also seen some other really strong black players here in Atlanta.

As for the controversy in this thread. I don't see any. There is a difference in skin color and you don't see as many black players at the top of the game as you do white players or orientals. The reason why I don't know.

I know of Cisero

cueaddicts said:
Yeah, Cisero Murphy and Willie Munson would need to be on that list.

but unfortunately I did'nt see enough of him to fairly include him on my list..If I include Cisero,I would also need to include Marvin Henderson..both of these guys I knew of..but did'nt see enough of their play(live in person) to accurately put on my list..Oh,I know that Mr.Murphy was a champion without a doubt..but I have never had the honor to be in the man's presence before and watch him play(unfortunately) same goes for Marvin Henderson...

Now Cannonball,Youngblood,Rotation-Slim ..I have only heard great stories about those wonderful players .. but those guys were way before my time..My list is comprised of guys that I have seen play A LOT in person and knew them all..

I know Willie Munson..He's a good player..but I have never seen or heard talk about his gamble..as long as I have known(of him) I have'nt heard his name brought up in terms of action..Not taking anything away from his game because long ago Cliff told me that Willie was his mentor and Willie "showed him the ropes" so to speak...

Last edited:
Amen To That!

1pocket said:
It should be mentioned that these players are all great, great players compared to any and all players, of any and all colors, but who just happen to be black -- they all would hold their own against anybody of their era, or any era for that matter, in their games of choice...

tip of the hat to all of 'em!

Best reply thus far!:D

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
BVal said:
I don't understand the difference between a great white player and a great black player. Why a seperate list? Just curious.

BVal

The answer is "just because." And that's that. With this country's history of ill-treatment of blacks, highlighting their achievement should never be questioned. Questioning why is, IMO, an insult.

It'd be no question if someone were just to make a list of great left-handed players or great players who have college degrees. It's just a highlight, end of story.

Fred <~~~ off the pedestal... carry on

Best black player I have ever had the pleasure of kicking my ass was Ike Runnels.

Last edited:

ShaneS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DeadPoked said:
I was stationed in Mountain Home at the time and Ace started calling me the Mountain Home Kid at the time which I found pretty funny. Didn't stick.

So, that's nothing. Ace Brown told me that I was the coolest guy in the room at the Pechauer tour stop. The A/C was busted and it was like 90 degrees, and I was the only one in the room not sweating my azz off. In fact, I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and my North Face windblocker -- I can't play in short sleeves.

Were you the guy that wanted to bet Damian P. that his 9 point SW weighed under 19 ounces?

-Shane

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
ShaneS said:
So, that's nothing. Ace Brown told me that I was the coolest guy in the room at the Pechauer tour stop. The A/C was busted and it was like 90 degrees, and I was the only one in the room not sweating my azz off. In fact, I was wearing a long sleeve shirt and my North Face windblocker -- I can't play in short sleeves.

Were you the guy that wanted to bet Damian P. that his 9 point SW weighed under 19 ounces?

-Shane

That wasn't me but I do vaguely recall that. I don't think they ever found a scale.

ShaneS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DeadPoked said:
That wasn't me but I do vaguely recall that. I don't think they ever found a scale.

Good to hear! Whomever offered the bet was bound to lose some serious $. Even with 11 mm shafts, the cue still weighs over 19.5 oz. Best hitting SW ever.

-Shane

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
forget a smiley?

Cornerman said:
The answer is "just because." And that's that. With this country's history of ill-treatment of blacks, highlighting their achievement should never be questioned. Questioning why is, IMO, an insult.

Fred,

Did you neglect to put a smiley behind that or are you really that wrapped up in white liberal guilt? Seems to me like all the questions and answers in this thread have been completely legitimate and well answered.

Hu

ShaneS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
Fred,

Did you neglect to put a smiley behind that or are you really that wrapped up in white liberal guilt? Seems to me like all the questions and answers in this thread have been completely legitimate and well answered.

Hu

I thought we were talking about ebony plain-jane cues.:eek: Boy is my face red!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
JoeyA said:
I like the topic and it sounds like a good one. Black players in this sport and other sports have had a tough go at them all until the last 30 or 40 years.

What about the infamous Nate (Atlanta, New Orleans or Washington D.C. and I think Houston maybe) ? In his prime was he up there with the rest of the mentionables?

Nate gave me 10-5, 20 years ago, playing $50 a game. We broke even.

JoeyA

He was at Derby City this year. NOT in the tournament naturally.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Walt Frazier said:
I know their was a thread similar to this once before;I just thought I'd add my 2 cents..

Btw,these guys are the best I have seen with my own two eyes..I've heard about Marvin Henderson,Youngblood,Cannonball etc..but I can't include them because I have never seen any of them play..So with that in mind here goes!

1.Bugs Rucker--without a doubt! One of the most feared money-players of all time ..Black or white! ..He played super strong and left many a talented pool player busted and disgusted.I watched him play many times and I found it strange that he'd shoot with his chalk still in his hand (left hand)..Bugs is a leftie..One of the greatest players to ever pick up a cue.

2.Mark Tadd--Maybe the most talented black player I have ever seen..It's too bad (for pool) that he quit in his prime..he was fearless!

3.Cliff Joyner--Cliff may be one of the top 10 best over-all players in the world today..he plays all games at a high level but most notably One-Pocket..He is considered the second best in the world in 1P.

4.Gabby--I never knew his real name..but I knew that he shot straighter than Wyatt Earp! It's a shame, what happened to him..I wish I had his talent..Gabby could REALLY play! R.I.P.

5.Cecil Tugwell--I saw Cecil play in the late 80's early 90's 1P in Cali and man........He was something else! Cecil was a character but could play with anybody in those days..I heard he has fallen on hard times over the past 15 years or so..

6.Strawberry Brooks--I honestly thought strawberry played better 1hole than Cecil but I think Cecil is the better Over-all player..Strawberry is a legend in Baltimore and in Philly..

7.Bus-driver Ronnie from D.C.--Plays really good speed..strong player..capable of putting multiple racks together.

8.Patch Eye Basheer--Moves like a ghost..He can frustrate his opponent like no other..patch-eye will have you talking to yourself!

9.Joey Barnes--Dallas Player..plays pretty sporty but can be very treacherous..can get out from anywhere..

10.Eddie Brown--Call me a homer if you want to but for years this guy was the strongest player in the state of Louisiana;save for maybe Scotty..But Eddie has beaten Reed Pierce when Reed was in his prime(taking the seven) Grady Mathews,Ronnie Wiseman,and the list goes on and on..
He was never a champion;but in his prime,he played the eight under a champion..

Hon.mention:1)Ace Brown from Utah--Super strong player that no one knows anything about outside of Utah 'cause he does'nt like to travel..I could sneak Ace in several rooms and literally clean up! Ace is a monster!
2)Ike Runnels from Chicago--Solid player,plays all games good..He may have a stronger game than a few of the players on my list but because I have'nt seen too much of him I must put him in the H.M.

1. JAMES EVANS !!!!! One of the best pool players that ever lived. PERIOD!

Then "Youngblood" Washington, Cisero Murphy, Marvin Henderson, Bugs Rucker and John "Cannonball" Chapman. These were the great ones.

Honorable Mention - Cliff Joyner, a young Cecil Tugwell, Mark Tadd, Black Nate, Strawberry and Gabby. These were the very good ones.

Sorry, I left off Robert "Rags" Woods. He should be on this list. At the top of the honorable mentions with Cliff.

Last edited:

VIProfessor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts said:
Fred,

Hu

Stop assuming, Hu! Fred isn't even white!