Best cue under $1000

kez

Registered
Keith Josey. Incredible player cue, two shafts around 850 on basic models. They play perfect.

mick hodapp

Registered
I love my entry level Schmelke too and prefer it to other "higher quality" cues I've hit with. Hits great and is very customizable as I was able to choose from joint types, tip diameter, length, weight, etc. which for the price I paid, less than $150, is not something I would expect. Customer service is excellent as well. I've read some negative Schmelke posts on here in the last year or so though my experiences with the cue and company have been nothing but positive.

Their prices have gone up a bit since I purchased my main player from them 5-6 years ago though still remain super reasonable and definitely worth checking out.
My thoughts & experinces with Schmelke also !

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
With all the Schmelke Love going around here, is anyone interested in a 60" inch Sneaky Jackpot Schmelke even split with two different tapered shafts. I had three Jackpots, keeping a Maple into Maple spliced cue, sold a 58" sneaky and still have the 60" available. I have been impressed with how they play, I had to try one after HawaiianEye and RandyinHawaii both said how impressive they hit.

Shahbaz147

I asked him that very same question, earlier todayi t

How important to you are points and inlays? They raise the price a lot.

If you're okay with a plain jane or something with minimal decoration, you of course have many more choices.

As for a quality cue that you can have for a long time, you can get that with a sub-$200 Schmelke. I had the ebony cue from Schmelke's M-Series line (it might be discontinued), and I could have happily used it for the rest of my pool days. I sold it only because I found a clean, straight copy of my first good cue from the early 1990's. It wasn't that the old cue was better than the Schmelke, but that I just wanted it for sentimental reasons. If you go with a Schmelke (or any other cue) and don't like how its hit feels, try some different tips before deciding that the cue isn't for you.

If you're okay with a plain jane but want a cue with higher-end wood and fittings, that's where custom cues and some of the more expensive productions cues come in. In that tier, I think Jacoby is a good value. If I wanted a really nice plain jane and was comfortable spending between $500 and $1,000, I'd probably get a Jacoby HB1 with a leather wrap close in color to the olivewood handle the cue normally comes with. Although the olivewood handle is gorgeous on that cue, I prefer the feel of a linen or leather wrap. If you like that cue but want something at a lower price, Schmelke's CC Series cues look like a great alternative. I'm not recommending the Jacoby or the Schmelke CC's specifically but am just referring to them as examples of budget and higher-tier US-made cues from established companies.

Some cue enthusiasts who buy a cue intending to keep it eventually give in to curiosity about different makers' cues. Some cuemakers' reputations are a part of pool lore, so having one of their cues associates us with that lore. In our evolution as pool aficionados, we want to explore these kinds of things. I'm not criticizing that. But if you're more budget-minded and just want a good playing cue, it's good to be aware of that. Some people are fine with the buying and selling, and others come to regret letting go of their first good cue and going down the cue rabbit hole.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
I’ve basically narrowed down to Mezz EC9, a McDermott from wildlife series and later I’ll order Hsunami shaft. I wanted Schon but the whole set up will be out of my budget. I played Pechauer but didn’t care much for it.

Shahbaz147

If the Mezz EC9 is readily available I would go with that over a McDermott.
I’m leaning Mezz myself. I may upgrade to Ex-pro shaft instead of sigma. I’ve been very busy with work so didn’t get chance to read comments or messages. I think I’ll order it in a day or two, most likely this weekend. Thank you all for great suggestions. I’ll get Schon next year 😄. I also need a new cue bag so I gotta stick to my budget.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
If yoiu use yourt search button you would see that production cues that always scored at or near the top of ther list were Mezz and Pechauer and you can find certain models under a gnote and they will not hold your game bacl at all.

Meucci Originals and make sure it really is an "Originals" model were made very high quality and play is great. Some of the very Top pros in the 80'sand very early 90's playerd with them. Earl, Jim Redmpe and Allison Fisher just to name a few. A like new fairly plain on just sold here on az yesterday for $500. Cant go wrong with something like that.

Two customs I always consider best bang for the buck are Jeff Olney cues with his 3/8 10 phenolic joint and Pat Diveney with his glass pin.

ANything I mentioned above are proven winner and some other good suggestions preceeded mine.

Be aware there isd somer subjectivity here in that what I or anyone else considers to be a good feel may not agree with you as much.

Ideally if you could go to a big event and try a bunch to see what feels good to you would be a great way to go. If that's not possible then get one of these that you like the look of, make sure you arent overpaying and buy it - if it doesn't work for you then you can sell it to break even or close to.

gluck

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You'll get lot more cue for your money with a Joss and it's a better cue. (JMEO) I think Schon has priced their-selves out of the market.
If you like Joss that's fine, but you cannot say it's a better cue since that's completely subjective. I tried Joss and much prefer Pechauer, which also offers more attractive cues at better prices, and with far superior customer service. Different strokes.

JPB2

If you like Joss that's fine, but you cannot say it's a better cue since that's completely subjective. I tried Joss and much prefer Pechauer, which also offers more attractive cues at better prices, and with far superior customer service. Different strokes.
I’ve never owned a Joss and I’m not sure why. Each one I have hit with hits nice. Have a Pechauer. Great quality and finish. Excellent company. Not my favorite to play with, but as you say that is subjective. Both are good quality and have many models under 1k.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve basically narrowed down to Mezz EC9, a McDermott from wildlife series and later I’ll order Hsunami shaft. I wanted Schon but the whole set up will be out of my budget. I played Pechauer but didn’t care much for it.
I like wrapless cues so the selection from Mezz is limited, but I just got one of their Sneaky Pete's and I am impressed. Excellent quality. United joint fits very snug and is machined perfectly.

fab944

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Shahbaz147

I like wrapless cues so the selection from Mezz is limited, but I just got one of their Sneaky Pete's and I am impressed. Excellent quality. United joint fits very snug and is machined perfectly.
I like CP21 because of how the wrap goes till the end but it will limit options for shafts. I read that 5/16x14 shafts fit United perfectly. Have you tried fitting any other shafts to your Mezz?

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like CP21 because of how the wrap goes till the end but it will limit options for shafts. I read that 5/16x14 shafts fit United perfectly. Have you tried fitting any other shafts to your Mezz?
I've only had my MSP2-P a couple weeks and am perfectly happy with their WX-Sigma (12.5 mm) shaft. Looking to the future, I did some research and have read that some 5/16x14 joints will fit, others may not. Time will tell if I decide to try one.

shooter_Hans

I am trying to dabble with professional performance equipment. Predator or Mezz is the no brainer. They have several models under 1k.

If you are a casual player you can get any custom cue but if you are competing and spend a lot of time on the table then go with any professional equipment on the market.

Last edited:

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am trying to dabble with professional performance equipment. Predator or Mezz is the no brainer. They have several models under 1k.

If you are a casual player you can get any custom cue but if you are competing and spend a lot of time on the table than go with any professional equipment on the market.
After seeing the repair comments by cue makers I think I would avoid Predator butts.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I haven't heard anything. What's going on so I can avoid those models.

Right now, Predator has an awesome full splice cue line.
If the butts need repair it is a very difficult process due to the way they are made and the materials used. You would need to do some research in the "Ask the Cue Maker" thread or just make a new post, "Cue Makers Opinion of repairing Predator cues." I do not plan to own one other wise I would. Shafts don't seem to be a issue, I'm sure they have a life span, but unlikely to need a repair.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If you are a casual player you can get any custom cue but if you are competing and spend a lot of time on the table then go with any professional equipment on the market.
There was a survey here a couple years ago asking what members thought are the best production cues. Schon came in first, followed by Mezz, with Predator a distant 3rd. Just people's opinions, but Mezz are more reasonably priced then either of the other two.

shooter_Hans

There was a survey here a couple years ago asking what members thought are the best production cues. Schon came in first, followed by Mezz, with Predator a distant 3rd. Just people's opinions, but Mezz are more reasonably priced then either of the other two.
I dabbled with 314 years ago and love it. So I have them in high regards.

Haven’t tried their new stuff.