Best jump break cue

yally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jericho Stinger. Hard to find, but does the job great. I got one that I might put up for sale soon. Not playing anymore :(

Lil_Kasper

Like A Boss
Silver Member
The best jump cue I have ever jumped with is the Poison VXJMP....Sounds crazy but its true. Effortless handling gets you the maximum jump power.

Koop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ryan Theewen (RAT cues).
I suck at jumping and can even jump with this, not to mention the thing absolutely destroys the rack.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I have a J&J that I bought for less than $60 off ebay and it gets the job done, but it's a lot better jumper than a breaker. Back in the day when I was in college a lot of people were singing the praises of Fury J/B cues, but I don't hear anything about them any more. Any reason why?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
subjectivity alert!!!!!!!

I have tried the brick and the Lomax jump cues. I thought they jumped about the same. Mainly just trying to find a good cue that breaks really good too. I haven't tried the bk2, poison or Lucasi air hog. Those seem to be most popular.

lsu;

this is always going to be subjective because, as you know, some like chocolate, others vanilla.

with that said, if you do a search on this subject you will see that the two consistent leaders for a dedicated jump cue, and with good reason imho, are the Jacoby and the Lomax jumpers.

These two are strong!

I have both and for when balls are close to jump I use the Jacoby because it has the groove to using the dart method. This feature is helpful because I have a bum right shoulder and getting into position for that close jump shot is tough using the conventional method.

I have heard good feedback on the colorful poison jumper and, believe it or not, the $30 J&J does a great job, too.

But overwhelmingly, it's Jacoby and Lomax. If you do the search you will see an azer (I forget exactly who it was), did a very in-depth review of the Jacoby and thinks it's the best ever.

Here's another subjectivity alert for you:

For a dedicated breaker, it's a bk2 with either a white diamond (phenolic) tip or a Samsara (leather) tip.

No other breaker matters, they will not move balls more than 6 inches. :eek: :grin: ;)

the bk2 will crack the balls in half.

gl with your decision.

best,
brian kc

M0NSTERKILLER

Registered
Alex Brick. Just got one last week and it jumps great and knocks the colors off the balls. The sound of it breaking is like a sonic boom, especially on bar tables. Hope this helps.

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Break cue/ jump cue

Funny no one has mentioned a Gulyassy, Andy Gilbert, and a Rick howard break jump cue???I would have to say the top ones are in no order are gulyassy,howard,gilbert,lomax and BK3. Rich aka the skunk.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Has anyone had issues with the poison jump break not fitting in their case?

I have one and have an inexpensive Sterling 2 butt/3 shaft case. It's snug, but no problem - hasn't pulled the fabric out, but there is some wear.

I can't comment on what the best J/B may be, as I've only ever used my Poison VX. Works well for me!

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
Anyone have a link to this $30 J&J jumper? All my retail searches come up with is a $59-$65 J&J dedicated jumper.
Just last night I bought a Players JB12 jump/break with a phenolic tip, but most likely won't receive it until next week. I had a laundry list of supplies I needed to order and impulsively added it to the cart. I have a 10+ year old Players sneaky pete that's a solid hitting cue for such an inexpensive cue. I have low expectations of this new J/B cues performance but WTH it was only $101 at Seyberts. Who knows, I may get a good surprise, but I'm not overly optimistic until I get to test drive it a bit.
My hard case is only a 2x2 and half of it is occupied by my Huebler, I like the idea of a combination jump/break as it will make use of my case best. I'm looking into a new case in the coming months, just can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Many years ago, I had an "It's George" hard case. I wished I'd known the regret I would later have after parting with it. Anyone know of a case brand/maker that makes a case like the old "it's Geaorge" hard cases? I see they now go for crazy top dollar if you can find an old one for sale.

One more question relating to the phenolic tip of this new J/B cue. I use Aramith tournament balls for my home table. Will the hard phenolic tip cause damage or scar my Aramith measle cue ball? If that be the case I have a spare Aramith pro (red logo) cue ball that may become a sacrificial cue ball for this cues tip if so.

Thanks for any feedback and your time.

Dopc

Last edited:

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
What makes a break cue a break cue ? I have never had one nor have i ever tried one out as im not a 9 ball player. When playing 8 ball i will just grab a house cue and break with that so as to not flatten my tip out.
I have just never had the occasion to ask anyone anything about these.
Any help would be appreciated.

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
What makes a break cue a break cue ? I have never had one nor have i ever tried one out as im not a 9 ball player. When playing 8 ball i will just grab a house cue and break with that so as to not flatten my tip out.
I have just never had the occasion to ask anyone anything about these.
Any help would be appreciated.

Typically those that use them, use them so as not to over punish, flatten or mushroom the softer tip on their playing cues. A dedicated break cue may have a much harder tip or even a synthetic tip made of phenolic or g10 for a couple examples.
I've just always used my playing cue to break with, just last night I bought my first dedicated break/jump cue with a synthetic tip. I also believe the supper hard synthetic tips also aid in the jumping process.

Dopc.

Toncam

Another Bum !
Silver Member
Typically those that use them, use them so as not to over punish, flatten or mushroom the softer tip on their playing cues. A dedicated break cue may have a much harder tip or even a synthetic tip made of phenolic or g10 for a couple examples.
I've just always used my playing cue to break with, just last night I bought my first dedicated break/jump cue with a synthetic tip. I also believe the supper hard synthetic tips also aid in the jumping process.

Dopc.

Thanks Dopc, i figured it was to not mash up the tip on the playing cue but i was wondering if they distributed the weight bolt differently, more like to the middle of the cue to get more force closer to the front. Outside of those two things i couldnt see what the difference was.

Dopc

www.PoolActionTV.com
Silver Member
Thanks Dopc, i figured it was to not mash up the tip on the playing cue but i was wondering if they distributed the weight bolt differently, more like to the middle of the cue to get more force closer to the front. Outside of those two things i couldnt see what the difference was.

No problem, anytime. In addition to the before mentioned reasons, a break cue could also have a thicker shaft, different taper & as you mention a different weight and/or balance point just to name a few.

Dopc.

Last edited:

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jacoby

I have a Jacoby dedicated Jump Cue with a White Diamond tip on it. I can get up easily with dart technique and conventional technique. I use it quite a bit and am very glad that I have it. When I was playing more back in 2007-2009, I could make jump shots consistently...so much in fact I had plenty of players complaining in tournaments that jump cues should not be allowed! Nowadays, I get clean hits but don't have the aim or control I used to when I was playing more often. It is definitely a practice thing.

LSU1018

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I decided to try out the poison jump break. Hopefully I'll get it next week. I have pretty much always had a dedicated break cue and jump cue. I just find the really hard tip breaks the balls better.

randytabares

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a purple heart Andy Gilbert jump break. I love it. I think you can pick one up in several different styles for around 450. its well worth it.

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I decided to try out the poison jump break. Hopefully I'll get it next week. I have pretty much always had a dedicated break cue and jump cue. I just find the really hard tip breaks the balls better.

Can't go wrong with that jumper especially for the price.