Best money player vs. Best tournament player

Sw10balltour

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know that Corey Deuel is top tournament player or he's currently ranked # 1. but who is the best money player? Would that player beat Corey if they matched up?
Ive been told stories about Willie Mosconi and Minnesota Fats...
That one was a better tournament player and the other was better at gambling. So who falls in these categories now?
 
That probably would depend a great deal on the game being played I suppose.

I for one feel it's sad most everything is based on 9 ball.

My guess as far as Fats and Mosconi, gambling 1 pkt, I'd put my money on Fats. Just about every other way, shape, or form of play, I'd bet on Mosconi.
 
As Mosconi knew Fats very well and knew how and what he played I don't think Fats would be able to put down a hustle and if they played even Fats had no chance. Fats game was the hustle. By the way, I met them both and as personalities I liked Fats much better all the bragging and such was just part of the show, he was actually pretty nice. Mosconi on the other hand was not friendly to fans.
 
well first off you stated it kinda badly there is a massive difference between gambling and hustling...hustling could mean soooo many different things where as gambling can be as simple as the odds are known and man up or shut up. if you were to pit mosconi and fats in a hustling match mosconi would run home crying to mommy because he was a player fats was a hustler and like run out jj said dippy knows how to gamble he doesnt really try to hustle he says i wanna play for a lot of money this is what i want from you. are we gonna play or not? where as if you were to read danny basivichs book they were hustling. just because hustling and gambling are both for money doesnt mean they are the same thing. imo
 
I know that Corey Deuel is top tournament player or he's currently ranked # 1. but who is the best money player? Would that player beat Corey if they matched up?
Ive been told stories about Willie Mosconi and Minnesota Fats...
That one was a better tournament player and the other was better at gambling. So who falls in these categories now?

Not taking anything from Corey but there are quite a few who will match
up and beat Corey
 
Not taking anything from Corey but there are quite a few who will match
up and beat Corey

Maybe a couple of years ago there were QUITE A FEW, but Corey's game in the last year has gone back up (started CARING again, if you will). There are a FEW I'd bet against Corey with, but certainly not QUITE A FEW any more!! Let's see how he does at the Derby....top 10 in 1P and 9ball would not be a surprise at all (he may win one or both of those too). :o


edit....and Corey's been betting on his pool game FOREVER, so he's no stranger to the wager :p
 
Last edited:
3andstop;2791916 My guess as far as Fats and Mosconi said:
You would have lost. The story goes that Fats finally got Willie to gamble at One Pocket. Fats called his backer in NY to wire more money. Told the backer that Willie didn't know anything about defense. He just kept running 8 and out.
The story is in Shots, Moves, and Strategies, if memory serves.
 
i would like to see someone play cory

10 ball
one pocket

set of each .
ill take cory vs anyone.

That's what I'm saying Chris. After a couple of years not playing as much as he used to....everyone thinks his talents left him. NOT TRUE!! When focused on his game, he is still an absolute MONSTER!!!!
 
Today?

I'd bet Corey vs Fats or Mosconi on a Diamond Table any day, all day. They all played good on 5" pockets, Brunswick tables. But on a Diamond, I doubt, they could beat... Corey, Hatch, Archer, Morris, Immonem, Appleton, SVB, Earl, or ANY of the other top players today. TODAY we have the living BEST players in history. What you people aren't realizing is these guys are making history now. They will go down as the best players that will ever have played the game. Where as people will remember Mosconi and Fats as legands, niether of them could match up even against ANY of the top 30 in the world. Todays living players will be the best ever. I dare say when he is done, SVB will be the best that has ever played the game, GAMBELING, and Tournaments.
 
I agree with Chris... I'd put Corey up against anyone in a set each of 10 ball and 1p. At Best, someone is going to break even, but I don't think anyone is going to beat him.

I keep saying when Corey WANTS to win he does. He just has to make the commitment to WANT to win then he does..
 
i would like to see someone play cory

10 ball
one pocket

set of each .
ill take cory vs anyone.

I was talking about 10b , That;s what the ranking events were I think.
Was def not talking about all around. Do you think he would beat Shane or Archer ,Hatch or Mills? I just think a FEW of the top pros have a little on him
Not that Corey couldn't beat anyone, just not everyone
No disrespect meant at all
 
I was talking about 10b , That;s what the ranking events were I think.
Was def not talking about all around. Do you think he would beat Shane or Archer ,Hatch or Mills? I just think a FEW of the top pros have a little on him
Not that Corey couldn't beat anyone, just not everyone
No disrespect meant at all

the only 1 on your list i think beats cory at 10 ball is svb.
 
I think Hatch would do well too, not saying he would surely win, but it would be a good match. Let's not forget that Corey just won the Turning stone, and finished second in the open, so his game is back.
 
Back
Top