Best One-Handed Players

Mitchxout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know a big bald guy that plays one handed one pocket? He says his name is Paul and will only play trap games. He plays pretty sporty jacked up.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Anyone remember Tucker Shepherd from Arlington, Virginia? He worked Jack and Jill's for quite a while in the 70s and 80s. One-handed, he was pretty good. Saw him run several racks of straight pool that way, even setting up the break shots.

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched Mike Massey do a show back in the early 80's and a lot of it was one handed. Pretty impressive.

The year before, Nick Varner did the show and ran 100 and out against our school champ. He wanted to continue the run but the crowd wanted to see trick shots. I was bummed because he was in STROKE and my school had bucket pockets on our Gold Crowns. I don't think he would have missed.

kolaas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only know Jesse Allred. In one of his videos he does the mighty X with one hand, drawing it back into the corner pocket. Also a larger than 90 degrees cutshot!

I like to play one handed as well, but not nearly as good as Jesse. I can stun and draw it a tiny bit.. but only if my cue rests on the wall... which is cheating imo. If I keep the cue in the air the end is shaking heavily so I have to pick the right moment to shoot (and often miscue). I did manage to win a couple beers with it :)

Any tips on that, Jesse?

JesseAllred

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I only know Jesse Allred. In one of his videos he does the mighty X with one hand, drawing it back into the corner pocket. Also a larger than 90 degrees cutshot!

I like to play one handed as well, but not nearly as good as Jesse. I can stun and draw it a tiny bit.. but only if my cue rests on the wall... which is cheating imo. If I keep the cue in the air the end is shaking heavily so I have to pick the right moment to shoot (and often miscue). I did manage to win a couple beers with it :)

Any tips on that, Jesse?

I hold the cue a little behind where it would balance on your finger, so it's weighted slightly forward. The end shaking can be stopped by using your shoulder and arm locked as much as possible as one unit to swing your cue through the shot instead of using your arm muscles like with a regular stroke. I hold the tip about 6-12" above and behind the cueball and try to drop and swing the cue through the ball so I'm not pushing or steering the cue. Hope that makes sense.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
El Morro

Don't know if Ishmael even plays anymore but this cat used to get staked crazy high money playin' one-handed. Anybody know if he's still around?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I hold the cue a little behind where it would balance on your finger, so it's weighted slightly forward. The end shaking can be stopped by using your shoulder and arm locked as much as possible as one unit to swing your cue through the shot instead of using your arm muscles like with a regular stroke. I hold the tip about 6-12" above and behind the cueball and try to drop and swing the cue through the ball so I'm not pushing or steering the cue. Hope that makes sense.

I tried what you said...I hit them a bit better....
...but I still stink....:angry:

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
Yep, I never beat Red like this.

Hopefully I'm safe to say this without knocking his action because:

a) He snuck up on nobody

and

B) He's dead

but I think I know of nobody that liked their side of one-handed jacked-up one pocket against Cornbread Red and Red played plenty of guys that played plenty good for far more cash than they were comfy with where they were 2 handed and Red was one and jacked.

Red was a fearless man. Much like when a guy fought Ali, I'm sure that it quickly became apparent that you were in Ali's ring, his space, his show, his game, Red always controlled the place, the action, the game, the entire room, he was in. Alpha in the same way a guided missile is alpha.

Thanks

Kevin

kolaas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for answering! Im going to give that technique a shot next time I play.

fasteddief

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jacked up

When I was young guy 50+ years ago the name I remembered was The greatest one handed jacked up player was Gusatay anybody else heard about him.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've heard that Lou Butera ran over a hundred balls one-handed. (and he did it pretty fast too) does anyone know what the record is for straight pool one-handed?

edit: don't be getting me into trouble BigDog, there's probably more guys who can play one-handed than we can imagine. It's pretty easy to get good at.
Do you know this guy..bald Mexican, about 40-50, about 200 lbs., plays in S.Cal around the Inland Empire? Name might be Jesse also, not sure. Plays A, maybe AA one-handed.

Juice

Efren da king of pink!
Silver Member
there was a player who lived in texas is the 80s and 90s and he was a jam up one handed player his name is sergio vargas....he was from mexico and i think he also played in cali in the 70s....he would often torture pretty good players one handed jacked up to there 2 hands....great thread....:thumbup:

Sergio Vargas he played good but not as good as these guys are talking about.

I honestly don't know who the best one-hander is,having never watched 2 guys really gamble,but I'll tell you who the first guy I saw was that did phenomenal things while jacked up.

Smokey Bartlett in the early 90's saw me practicing shot 2B in the Kinister 60 Min Workout,where the cue ball is in the jaws,the object ball is 6 diamonds away,and you make the ball and draw the cue ball back far and straight enough to scratch.

After I made it and scratched for the 3rd time in a row,which was a first for me,he asked if he could try it.

He shot it one-handed,but not jacked up. He put a little patch of Simonis over the pocket liner,bridged off it,and shot,drawing it back far enough and straight enough you actually heard it hit the back of the pocket 3 times in a row :yikes:.

As impresssive as this is,he turned right around and did the same shot jacked up,and still made it 3 times in a row :bow-down:.

I also saw him draw his ball on a jump shot one handed with a full length cue on Simonis.

He could shoot a spot shot and draw his rock one rail and get it above the side pocket AT WILL too :killingme:. Tommy D.

Man Smokey could play! I loved watching the shit he could do.

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've played Ronnie Allen jacked up one-pocket for $100 a game even, I was 19 years old, ended up losing to him. He was a couple balls better than me, although he could have been keeping the games close on purpose. (he is one of the kings of hustling) When I was 17 I played Mike Massey one-pocket the same way, I ran 8 and out the first game and won the next few games. If Bucktooth is better than those guys I'd love to see him play, that would be strong!

Jesse Allred is a great one handed player. He is also a gentleman (rare in the pool world). I saw Efren Reyes playing Ronnie Allen 15 Ball Rotation for 1,300.00 a game at the Sports Arena one handed "in the air". Efren broke (in the air) and ran out.

Ernesto Domenguez (sp) was at one time an outstanding one handed player.