Best One-Handed Players

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
wow. But, not the same approach though, Sean. Our guy here has like leather straps he attaches to his, well, I guess stumps, and there's like a bridge thingie that he uses. He's really pretty impressive.

Lou Figueroa

That sounds an awful lot like NY's Scott Simonetti:

http://nycgrind.com/the-latest/player-profile-pool-player-scott-simonetti-is-beating-the-odds/
_mg_51621.jpg

But if he's near you, it's probably another guy...

-Sean

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most one handed players are doing it for gambling purposes and really hate threads like this. If one thinks they are better than the others, then they play.

If you search it's been done as many times as "who's the best player"

I know one person in this thread who if he had a computer would ask kindly to be removed.

Well, don't most of us do what we do for gambling? At least a little?

I'm guessing that almost to a man, everybody on this board could match up, sight unseen, based purely upon past discussions and woofs here. (Personally, I'm blessed with having a video up, taken against my will and better judgement. The good news for me is that I play so bad on the video that it is worth at least a three ball spot, or 50 on a 100 from anyone that can hold a cue stick :-o)

The intel on any given player is out there, or readily available, and when I hear someone say something like what you've said, I have ask: are they worried about "gambling" or are they really worried about sneaking up on someone? To me the core issue is that this is, surprise, the age of the computer. Even though I'm nobody I've walked into strange rooms 1000's of miles from my home room and been immediately ID'd from a photo or description on the internet, or had someone whip out a phone, snap a photo or video, and gotten a line on me in minutes. I'm sorry, but you can't please everyone and we here to talk about pool, players, equipment and what not. I make no apology for the thread.

Lou Figueroa

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
Best One Handed Players!

I think we've all seen or heard of some great one-handed players. Personally, one of the best I ever saw was Ernie Morgan "The One Armed Bandit. " I saw him do an exhibition at the USF Student Union pool room back in the early 70's. I think he's got his bridge hand caught in a saw and lost some or all of his fingers. So he shot with a shorty cue and walked around the table like he was spear fishing. Ran *a lot* of balls that way. Then of course there are the stories of Ronnie Allen, Eddie Taylor, and Bucktooth. More recently, George Breedlove at the DCC put on a one-handed clinic.

So who is the best one-handed player, one-pocket or otherwise, that you've seen?

Lou Figueroa

Well Lou,

I don't really know who may have been the best pocketing balls one handed back in the day , but one time back in 1984 I was at a local bowilng alley in Hot Springs, Arkansas during the Oaklawn Horse Track Racing Season (March/April) late one afternoon and Ronnie Allen was swaggering around a snooker table branishing a pool cue and a 1/5 of whiskey in one hand asking anyone to play or bet how many balls he could make in a row shooting one handed on this tight pocketed snooker table.

It looked like a circus, but Ronnie Allen easily ran about 6 to 8 shots on that 5 x 10 snooker table , firing each ball in with authority while taking a swig of the liquior bottle, but there were no takers on the bet!

Ronnie just wanted to Show Off!!!!, and he LQQKed good doing it!

U.J.Puckett , Danny Jones, Calvin Harcrow , myself and many others witnessed this display of pool extraordinary-ism!!!!!!!

Ronnie was a much younger guy back then and could back up what he wanted to bet or do with a pool cue!

David Harcrow

tommyceilings

The Netherland Nihilator
Silver Member
It has nothing to do with sneaking up.

If I play really well one handed and I'm in a town trying to match up and I say my name is (insert one of the names here),then I'm not going to get action from a ton of screen grabbers, even from shortstop type players if they read someone's opinion that they are "the best one handed player"

There is no sneaking up about it, games are knocked from threads on here, it's a fact.

Well, don't most of us do what we do for gambling? At least a little?

I'm guessing that almost to a man, everybody on this board could match up, sight unseen, based purely upon past discussions and woofs here. (Personally, I'm blessed with having a video up, taken against my will and better judgement. The good news for me is that I play so bad on the video that it is worth at least a three ball spot, or 50 on a 100 from anyone that can hold a cue stick :-o)

The intel on any given player is out there, or readily available, and when I hear someone say something like what you've said, I have ask: are they worried about "gambling" or are they really worried about sneaking up on someone? To me the core issue is that this is, surprise, the age of the computer. Even though I'm nobody I've walked into strange rooms 1000's of miles from my home room and been immediately ID'd from a photo or description on the internet, or had someone whip out a phone, snap a photo or video, and gotten a line on me in minutes. I'm sorry, but you can't please everyone and we here to talk about pool, players, equipment and what not. I make no apology for the thread.

Lou Figueroa

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best i ever seen in person was Geese,in his time(his prime)the 70s 80s,the only one Geese may had a problem with playing jack up 1 pocket,would of been Ronnie Allen,i still would of bet my money on Geese,because the things i seen him do 1 handed were out of this world,now the things Jesse A does on u tube is mind boggling,i would now adays bet my money on Jesse A,AGainst anybody playing jack up 1handed 9 or 10 ball!

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I honestly don't know who the best one-hander is,having never watched 2 guys really gamble,but I'll tell you who the first guy I saw was that did phenomenal things while jacked up.

Smokey Bartlett in the early 90's saw me practicing shot 2B in the Kinister 60 Min Workout,where the cue ball is in the jaws,the object ball is 6 diamonds away,and you make the ball and draw the cue ball back far and straight enough to scratch.

After I made it and scratched for the 3rd time in a row,which was a first for me,he asked if he could try it.

He shot it one-handed,but not jacked up. He put a little patch of Simonis over the pocket liner,bridged off it,and shot,drawing it back far enough and straight enough you actually heard it hit the back of the pocket 3 times in a row :yikes:.

As impresssive as this is,he turned right around and did the same shot jacked up,and still made it 3 times in a row :bow-down:.

I also saw him draw his ball on a jump shot one handed with a full length cue on Simonis.

He could shoot a spot shot and draw his rock one rail and get it above the side pocket AT WILL too :killingme:. Tommy D.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Lou,

I don't really know who may have been the best pocketing balls one handed back in the day , but one time back in 1984 I was at a local bowilng alley in Hot Springs, Arkansas during the Oaklawn Horse Track Racing Season (March/April) late one afternoon and Ronnie Allen was swaggering around a snooker table branishing a pool cue and a 1/5 of whiskey in one hand asking anyone to play or bet how many balls he could make in a row shooting one handed on this tight pocketed snooker table.

It looked like a circus, but Ronnie Allen easily ran about 6 to 8 shots on that 5 x 10 snooker table , firing each ball in with authority while taking a swig of the liquior bottle, but there were no takers on the bet!

U.J.Puckett , Danny Jones, Calvin Harcrow , myself and many others witnessed this display of pool extraordinary-ism!!!!!!!

Ronnie was a much younger guy back then and could back up what he wanted to bet or do with a pool cue!

David Harcrow

I believe every word. Many have said he was an incredible one-handed player. I think it was a combination or his skill, his knowledge of the game, and his style of play that made hime so dangerous. Of course you had to fade the sharking too :)

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has nothing to do with sneaking up.

If I play really well one handed and I'm in a town trying to match up and I say my name is (insert one of the names here),then I'm not going to get action from a ton of screen grabbers, even from shortstop type players if they read someone's opinion that they are "the best one handed player"

There is no sneaking up about it, games are knocked from threads on here, it's a fact.

I believe you are being sincere, but really, the same could be said of discussing the best two handed players, which happens here every day. Trying to label it "knocking" is failing to recognize the reality of the internet.

The thing about the one-handed proposition is that to the average player (read: unsuspecting rube) it sounds too good to be true. "You're join to play me 1pocket one-handed to my two?! You're going to have to make believer out of me." It's not about being the best -- it's about how the average guy doesn't realize how good the good one-handed players can be. It's not even the names perhaps, but reading that guys playing one-handed can draw their stone the length of the table, bank like Eddie Taylor, and run multiple balls on a snooker table. So to me, the one-handed game is *all* about sneaking up on people.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I honestly don't know who the best one-hander is,having never watched 2 guys really gamble,but I'll tell you who the first guy I saw was that did phenomenal things while jacked up.

Smokey Bartlett in the early 90's saw me practicing shot 2B in the Kinister 60 Min Workout,where the cue ball is in the jaws,the object ball is 6 diamonds away,and you make the ball and draw the cue ball back far and straight enough to scratch.

After I made it and scratched for the 3rd time in a row,which was a first for me,he asked if he could try it.

He shot it one-handed,but not jacked up. He put a little patch of Simonis over the pocket liner,bridged off it,and shot,drawing it back far enough and straight enough you actually heard it hit the back of the pocket 3 times in a row :yikes:.

As impresssive as this is,he turned right around and did the same shot jacked up,and still made it 3 times in a row :bow-down:.

I also saw him draw his ball on a jump shot one handed with a full length cue on Simonis.

He could shoot a spot shot and draw his rock one rail and get it above the side pocket AT WILL too :killingme:. Tommy D.

Scary stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Lou Figueroa

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Hopefully I'm safe to say this without knocking his action because:

a) He snuck up on nobody

and

B) He's dead

but I think I know of nobody that liked their side of one-handed jacked-up one pocket against Cornbread Red and Red played plenty of guys that played plenty good for far more cash than they were comfy with where they were 2 handed and Red was one and jacked.

Red was a fearless man. Much like when a guy fought Ali, I'm sure that it quickly became apparent that you were in Ali's ring, his space, his show, his game, Red always controlled the place, the action, the game, the entire room, he was in. Alpha in the same way a guided missile is alpha.

Thanks

Kevin

Last edited:

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Lou,

David Harcrow

We had a guy in Denver years ago who played, at that time, as well as anyone one handed, named Al Hogue. There was golf game at the Faimily Fun Center and a very tough one. Al owned the game and eventually got banned from the game. He began making the 3rd hole twice and agin go banned from the game.
Well, he began to play one handed and the first game, playing one handed ran 5 an out on them. The next day he lagged for the one last and the ball went in and he ran out. You guessed it, he got banned again.
Ronnie came to town and they played on that snooker table for 2 days with Al coming out on top, slightly. They then played 14.1 one handed and Al won. Then 9 ball and Al won. So it came down to the one pocket and after 2 afternoons of that Ronnie came out if memory serves, 2 games up.
Al was an amazing talent and played all games really well. God come and got him when AL was 48!

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Hopefully I'm safe to say this without knocking his action because:

a) He snuck up on nobody

and

B) He's dead

but I think I know of nobody that liked their side of one-handed jacked-up one pocket against Cornbread Red and Red played plenty of guys that played plenty good for far more cash than they were comfy with where they were 2 handed and Red was one and jacked.

Red was a fearless man. Much like when a guy fought Ali, I'm sure that it quickly became apparent that you were in Ali's ring, his space, his show, his game, Red always controlled the place, the action, the game, the entire room, he was in. Alpha in the same way a guided missile is alpha.

Thanks

Kevin

Never saw Cornbread play one hand.....
..but he was the best 'behind your back' player I ever saw.
He was blessed with long arms and a normal height.

Three days after a quadruple bypass, he played one pocket on a 5x10
snooker table...giving a decent player one whole side....AND he shot
behind his back....and got all the cash.

So if Red wanted to play one-handed one pocket on a snooker table....
..I'd bet on him....except against Ronnie and Jesse.

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
Jesse

Put me down as another vote for Jesse. One of my favorites is the spot shot, with the cueball in the jaws of a corner up table, cut backwards into the corner on the same side-onehanded-behind his back. Good luck in the finals of the straight pool league today, BTW. You're due for another 100+ ball run-been what, a month or two? Slacker.

Slide Rule

ConservativeHardLiner
Silver Member

Tim Heath is a Toledo local.

He gave Jimmy Mataya a jacked up match at the Derby 2 years back.

He was back last year but requested those about not to video his match.

12th DCC (2010). Upstairs, around 4am, Jimmy Mataya was trying to get someone to bet him on a coin toss; I think it was for $500. Tim Heath took the bet and lost. This lead to a banter to get a game going. Jimmy kept on pressing for a beer since it was past 4am and Timmy had a cooler of beer in the room. After he got his beer, the terms we set, and a series of $500 a game of One-Handed Pool commenced. I watched about ten games till my CANON|POWERSHOT SX10 battery died. From what I heard, Timmy ended up giving Jimmy the 8-Ball and still came out the winner.

He also shoots one handed under his leg. Not too bad for a young portly guy.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Never saw Cornbread play one hand.....
..but he was the best 'behind your back' player I ever saw.
He was blessed with long arms and a normal height.

Three days after a quadruple bypass, he played one pocket on a 5x10
snooker table...giving a decent player one whole side....AND he shot
behind his back....and got all the cash.

So if Red wanted to play one-handed one pocket on a snooker table....
..I'd bet on him....except against Ronnie and Jesse.

I love that story. I was a kid at the time of the Capitol Cue Club, so I figured that every major city had a room where there was $100,000s of action every night.

Red was a singular individual to say the least.

Thanks for the memory

Kevin