Best Playing Cue Builder

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you really believe all that?

Any company outsourcing anything is still responsible for the product they sell. This is properly done by internal or third party qc and by writing the specifications for the product.

The sad fact is that China is fully capable of producing anything a customer requests. If they request garbage, they get garbage.

Predator probably has standards to check quality, I know the president and he wouldn’t really allow bad products to mess up the Predator name. If they did he would definitely care about it and take action. He is too highly driven to let things get past him, especially on purpose.

As for other companies, though they are responsible they don’t necessarily have or can afford their own quality assurance departments. Even those are outsourced. When you call and complain about an item you are connected to a third party which has a script to follow. This has been engineered by the product owner in advance and is more cost effective than holding employees to do it.

A lot of companies that make things now are only a few dozen cubicles on a single floor of an office building. There is no making locally. No shipping. No call center. No labs. It is all done on computers, though emails, and through outsourcing.

Don’t complain that things used to be better back in the old days. You all enjoyed a life during the most economically prosperous time for white men in the history of the modern world in the US. The bell curve is now more spread out to accommodate everyone possible. It is just different now and less convenient for consumers, but more products are available then there ever were.

Marc85

I am specif a cue. Computer programming is a skill, I just don’t think that part of cue building has anything to do with how a cue plays. I do not believe a cue with 1000 holes cut into it filled w other materials is going to hit as well as just solid wood.
I actually just talked with my cue guy about this today. He doesn’t make cues anymore, just does repairs. It surprised me when he said points actually help the feel along with changing grain structures and directions along with obviously wood choice. I was always under the impression that a MW would play best but he said that’s not the case. Everyone has their own opinion but I do trust him as he’s been working on/ making cues for longer than I’ve been alive.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess it’s the “how many licks does it take…” question of pool cues.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually just talked with my cue guy about this today. He doesn’t make cues anymore, just does repairs. It surprised me when he said points actually help the feel along with changing grain structures and directions along with obviously wood choice. I was always under the impression that a MW would play best but he said that’s not the case. Everyone has their own opinion but I do trust him as he’s been working on/ making cues for longer than I’ve been alive.
Interesting claim. Did he mean splicing or just points? Guessing, either would tend to stiffen up the resonance and curb bonkiness.

I am specif a cue. Computer programming is a skill, I just don’t think that part of cue building has anything to do with how a cue plays. I do not believe a cue with 1000 holes cut into it filled w other materials is going to hit as well as just solid wood.
Well have you ever renovated a house? You can put holes all over the place through 2x4’s for electrical and plumbing needs, like up to 2” holes and they will still have enough structural integrity to hold up your house.😉 I’m just saying if the wood was not holding up well with all the inlays they would probably pop out. Just a thought on the subject. I don’t like gaudy much. But when Hans said they can be so gaudy they are cool I did laugh for a sec. And also maybe on your line of thinking the inlays would actually make for a softer hit with some woods which some prefer and would call a better hit.

Edit: I only got to page 3, but this seemed to pop up in the right place.😂😂🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

SeniorTom

Do you really believe all that?

Any company outsourcing anything is still responsible for the product they sell. This is properly done by internal or third party qc and by writing the specifications for the product.

The sad fact is that China is fully capable of producing anything a customer requests. If they request garbage, they get garbage.
I agree, Predator is responsible for any product they put their name on. In the matter of cases, they have failed.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if Mike Gullyassy still plays or makes cues but if he's in stroke he could play on the pro tour IMO. Jerry McWorter plays well too. He's becomming quite the One Pocket Player these days I hear.

Rusty in Montana

Yes Mike still makes cues , he and I talked on the phone a couple weeks ago a darn nice guy which I hope to meet in person some day , I'd also like to get some lessons from him if possible .

As I've said before I really enjoy playing with the cue he made its a favorite of mine and has increased my willingness to try shots I normally wouldn't take and many of those shots I now make !