Best tip I've played with for years..........

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
So for a C player who is beginning to use English is it better to use the soft and then move to a medium or start with a medium?

If you were a C player on my league team I would look at putting you in a medium or a medium/hard Ki-Tech... The Soft and Hard are extreme ends and most people evolve to those levels after having several years experience..... There is a reason the medium Ki-Tech is our number 1 seller it's the tip most likely to fit the widest demographic of player. from AA down to d.. The Medium/Hard just released and I would hazard a bet that a year from now it will overtake the Medium... It was based off of the Original Medium Moori and I can let people hit them side by side and the Ki-Tech plays better than the old stock moori.......

Chris

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I just had a few of these tips installed; two softs and a medium. I've never been a fan of soft tips but these play well. They're a lot softer than what I'm used to for sure, as I usually prefer a hard tip, but they don't feel like a pillow on the end of the cue. They're nice and solid.

I played about 5 hours last night with the soft and really gave it a workout. I broke I don't know how many racks. The soft did mushroom just a little but the feel of the tip didn't change a bit and it maintained its nickle shape nicely. I suspect after I cut the mushroom off this tip won't move anymore.

I only hit about 3 or 4 balls with the shaft that has the medium on it but the hit was nice and I got good action on the ball.

I'm working my way from the softs to the hards so it will take me a while to figure out which ones I like the most.

I still don't like soft tips but I'll tell you this; I prefer the soft that's on my cue now over any other soft tip I've hit with.

I NEVER liked soft tips and converted to our soft 2 years ago... Maybe it was bias but with our Mediums and Hards performing well I think it was just I had never had a soft that wasn't a marshmallow.... Was aso the fact I switched to playing one pocket every time I went out to play... Am currently on the Medium/Hard band wagon as I am back to practicing rotation and am doing life cycle testing on it... May or may not go back to the soft... Am likeing this grade almost as much but the feel is definitely different.......

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I still need to get a couple of the medium/hards but it will be a while. The soft didn't mushroom much and since I cut it back flush with the ferrule it hasn't moved at all and has maintained its shape very well. Again, great soft tip--and I don't even like soft tips.

I've played a little more with the shaft that has the medium and I like it a lot. Once the soft wears down I'll get a medium put on.

I've got a nice custom cue that has been just sitting in a case for a couple of years that needs new ferrules and I plan to have those replaced and the two hards I have installed on those shafts.

I suspect I'll stick with the hards when I get to that point or maybe the medium/hards later down the road.

These are great tips, man. :thumbup:

So far the Medium/Hards have been converting locals that were not fans... As far as feedback is concerned I would say there are less than 400 of them out in circulation so it may be awhile before any objective feedback comes in... I released them and didn't realize they could not be ordered because the inventory on the website was set at zero so all of them have went out in the last 3 weeks.... Joe Tucker hit one of them while he was passing thru and immediately had one installed and so far says it's working out great so thats one at least LOL... Sent a bunch out at the Open even some to cuemakers and installers... By the time you are ready for the M/H there should be some good feedback on them besides mine =D

Chris

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's hard to explain until a person tries it but it grabs without grabbing like glue. Eliminating allot of friction enduced throw. I still get a skid here and there but not like I did with the layered tips.

I'm curious: what does a tip have to do with throw or skids?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

Skids happen when the balls gear at collision... Usually caused by chalk or old chalk marks but in some instances clean balls will skid... Certain angles shot at certain speeds with inside or top can be hazardous...

Gene may have a better feel for what shots are most likely to skid for him and he may feel that certain spin speed ratios are more apt to cause this to happen...

As the medium he is using has a higher COR than many layered tips it may be that the speed/spin ratio being higher makes the balls throw less and also be less apt to skid with his stroke and based on his experience...

I'll have to leave it to him to answer beyond thhis and make whatever corrections he needs to but I think he goes under the knife tomorrow for the 2nd knee operation so it may be a few days before he checks in....

Chris

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the local players wants to try one....

Skids happen when the balls gear at collision... Usually caused by chalk or old chalk marks but in some instances clean balls will skid... Certain angles shot at certain speeds with inside or top can be hazardous...

Gene may have a better feel for what shots are most likely to skid for him and he may feel that certain spin speed ratios are more apt to cause this to happen...

As the medium he is using has a higher COR than many layered tips it may be that the speed/spin ratio being higher makes the balls throw less and also be less apt to skid with his stroke and based on his experience...

I'll have to leave it to him to answer beyond thhis and make whatever corrections he needs to but I think he goes under the knife tomorrow for the 2nd knee operation so it may be a few days before he checks in....

Chris

He saw how well it's working for me. All the players in the tourney were struggling to get shape.
I almost didn't want to give him one because he plays too good already. This really was my edge just like when I teach a player how these eyes work, it isn't a cake walk anymore to beat them in a tourney.
I didn't give him one because I forgot them at home.
But I'll guarantee that Billy the Kid from Wisconsin will be using one of these soon and he'll like it for sure.
And Billy knows I know, just like with Perfect Aim, these ki-tech tips will help allot of players get there.
One of the pro players I know was sponsored by one of the layered tip companies. I saw him getting a different kind of tip put on his cue 3 times at different tournaments.
He said he was experimenting.
He was using one of the old tips that worked real good back in the day. But they would only last a week or 2 and break down. that's why he was putting one on so often.
I'm sure he's using this tip now. If not he will soon. These do not break down like the old ones...................

Poolshootindon

Registered Pool Offender
Silver Member
Best Tip?

Very subjective. I have tried a lot of tips. Plain and simple for me.

ELK MASTER!!! Cheap and very effective.

Don

P.S. If Rafael can play with Elk Masters for 40 years there has to be something good about them.

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris,

My package of tips should arrive here in the Philippines in a few days. Any "tips" on installing them? Also can you recommend a tip tool for your tips?

Thanks

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
If I was a money player, or hustler, I would rather have the ability of one of the TOP PLAYER in the World, v/s fancy tools.

Funny thing is I go to this sportsman's show ever year, there are all kind of people offering service. Last year there was a guy doing all kinds of customer rifle work. When the crowd from his booth was down to just a couple of people.

I ask him, are not most quality rifles about to shoot better out of the box, than their owners. He replied yes. But people like to make thing better if they have extra cash.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Chris,

My package of tips should arrive here in the Philippines in a few days. Any "tips" on installing them? Also can you recommend a tip tool for your tips?

Thanks

Have to use a new blade or have the installer sharpen their chisel before cuting them down... They hate heat and will fight tooth and nail if they get hot.... As far as tip tools.... So far they have been holding up in all grades very well... I have not had to take a shaper to any of them... I do occasioanlly clean the tops off with some medium/fine grit sand paper but thats pretty seldom..... You should be able to use anything that IS NOT COURSE.... Course could end up tearing the fibers instead of sanding them so just keep that in mind and you should be fine.......

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cue maker put a Medium on for me and I love it. Had been using an Elkmaster Milk Dud for years. I not going to say that it turned my game around, "I yam what I yam, "but it is more enjoyable and I do have a bit more confidence and consistency.

Now, if I had Raphael's stroke that would different story. It is beautiful and when he lets it out it can be mind boggling.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member

Paging Geno.....

I tried to answer this but since you are layed up and in pain I know you are looking for outlets.... The question was based upon your post from earlier where you weren't throwing the balls without meaning to but still had a few skids or something similar... I never thought about speed/spin ratio having an impact on skids and assumed it was angle and dirt... Most of the ones I have seen are using top, inside or stun/centerball....

Chris

irock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are the hard ones, breaking cue hard, or just a step up of hardness of the medium?

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Are the hard ones, breaking cue hard, or just a step up of hardness of the medium?

No they are not break tip hard but they will hold up to break duty without mushrooming or compressing they just transfer less energy than I think a break tip should.... To be a good break tip the energy transfer should be >= 80% Our Hard is down in the 72-73% Range...... A full level of hardness/COR below where OUR break tip will be.....