Best way to move a pool table?

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This reminds me of a joke:

How do you get an elephant into a refrigerator?

answer:

You open the refrigerator door, put the elephant in and close the door...

So then what's the best way to get a giraffe into a refrigerator?

[Wait for an answer from someone and then correct them]:

Open the door, take the elephant out, put the giraffe in and close the door!

Now for moving a pool table... I have no idea! :)

n9neballking

Registered
For about $30 you can build a dolly to move the table completely intact with 2 people, no strain. If you have or can get ahold of a long ratchet strap and a trailer with a ramp.

Taking the slate out is for chumps.
Well the guy I'm buying it from moved it that way and he said it was easy however he also said that he put a whole in the side of the trailer because the table still came loose a bit. I have many many ratchet straps so I'm thinking that it could be as easy as more straps.

I would much rather move it with the slate in the table in order to protect the slate however i also dont want to worry about snapping the legs or anything like that.

Hence the question here.

Thank you for the response

JC

Coos Cues
Well the guy I'm buying it from moved it that way and he said it was easy however he also said that he put a whole in the side of the trailer because the table still came loose a bit. I have many many ratchet straps so I'm thinking that it could be as easy as more straps.

I would much rather move it with the slate in the table in order to protect the slate however i also dont want to worry about snapping the legs or anything like that.

Hence the question here.

Thank you for the response
Take (2) 3 foot long by 2 foot wide piece of 3/4" plywood and laminate them together with glue. Get (4) 6" harbor freight non swivelling wheels and bolt one on each corner long ways so you have like a big skate board. On one edge attach 3 inches of wood (2-2x4 scraps faced up) the length of the dolly (3'). Put some carpet scraps on the top of the 2x4s and also on the opposite edge of the dolly that's plywood. Hold the dolly up centered with the side pocket on the non coin slot side so the thin side is flush with the top of the table and the side with the 2x4s is down against the cabinet. The cabinet is slanted inward and the 2x4s will make it be more or less perpendicular to the ground. Wrap your heavy strap around each end of the dolly and all the way around the table and tighten it up. You now have your dolly strapped tight to the side of the table. We have done this with just one strap in the center of the dolly. With two people tip the table on it's side and up on the wheels. This is much easier than it sounds. The table weight balances against itself. If you need to go through a doorway take the legs off now. If not just leave them on. You can push the cart forward and teter totter it from either end if you need to turn. You can even teter totter it up or down a couple of stairs It will be very stable and will not threaten to tip over. Roll it right up on a trailer and strap it to one side or the other. If the legs are off put the bottom of the cabinet along the edge of the trailer.

Edit: Get the heavy 6 inch wheels or they might bend. Otherwise 4" wheels will work fine with less strain tipping the table on them.

We have moved many valley tables with this setup painlessly. Sometimes with one on each side of the trailer.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m in the pay a pro camp. If they drop it, or damage it, it’s on them and they pay for it. If you drop it it’s a loss, and a potential injury. The pros move those bar boxes all the time and it’s no big deal for them.

JC

Coos Cues
I’m in the pay a pro camp. If they drop it, or damage it, it’s on them and they pay for it. If you drop it it’s a loss, and a potential injury. The pros move those bar boxes all the time and it’s no big deal for them.
Pay $200 to move a $500 pool table?

And don't forget the tip!

Alrightythen!!

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
This reminds me of a joke:

How do you get an elephant into a refrigerator?

answer:

You open the refrigerator door, put the elephant in and close the door...

So then what's the best way to get a giraffe into a refrigerator?

[Wait for an answer from someone and then correct them]:

Open the door, take the elephant out, put the giraffe in and close the door!

Now for moving a pool table... I have no idea! :)
Did you ever consider a career in stand up comedy?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pay $200 to move a $500 pool table?

And don't forget the tip!

Alrightythen!!
Yes sir! At this point in my life my heavy lifting days are gone, and I’m not hip on the idea of asking friends, or family to do it for me. Heck, my BIL complained about helping me move an entertainment center from one room to another. I can only imagine how the eyes would roll if I told him we are moving a pool table 50 miles.

JC

Coos Cues
Yes sir! At this point in my life my heavy lifting days are gone, and I’m not hip on the idea of asking friends, or family to do it for me. Heck, my BIL complained about helping me move an entertainment center from one room to another. I can only imagine how the eyes would roll if I told him we are moving a pool table 50 miles.
Moving the pool table with a dolly is easier than moving an entertainment center by hand.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand what you are saying, and 20 years ago I’d be on board with you, but Father Time has taken a toll on me. I guess I’m just a bit lazier than I used to be to.

JulioRice

Registered
I can help here. 2 furniture dollys, they can even be the small ones but the bigger ones are better.. 2 long ratchet straps, 2 guys and a trailer. That's all you need... well and more straps to strap it down once it's on the trailer. Oh, and a jack, small scissor jack is fine.

Put the jack under the table in the center length wise and at the side opposite the ball window. Jack it up far enough to unscrew the leg levelers, take them out. This is so you don't bend the screws. Set it back down on the legs minus the levelers.

Next, strap your 2 dollys to the side of the table where you took the levelers off. Ratchet strap all the way around the table and around the dolly. One at each end, stay off the corner castings.

Then, 2 dudes standing in front of the ball window. Pick it up/tip it up/roll it onto the dollies. The rest should be self explanatory. Well maybe not. Roll it out, roll it up on the trailer. Strap it down and chalk the wheels so it won't want to roll front or back while you're driving. You can transport it on the dollys on it's side. Actually the safest way for the slate. Up on it's side is better then laying flat. Like moving glass. Good luck. Take it easy. Julio

Edit: I think I spelled chalk wrong. Not like the chalk you put on your cue, like block the wheels. Correct spelling is chock.

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
I can help here. 2 furniture dollys, they can even be the small ones but the bigger ones are better.. 2 long ratchet straps, 2 guys and a trailer. That's all you need... well and more straps to strap it down once it's on the trailer. Oh, and a jack, small scissor jack is fine.

Put the jack under the table in the center length wise and at the side opposite the ball window. Jack it up far enough to unscrew the leg levelers, take them out. This is so you don't bend the screws. Set it back down on the legs minus the levelers.

Next, strap your 2 dollys to the side of the table where you took the levelers off. Ratchet strap all the way around the table and around the dolly. One at each end, stay off the corner castings.

Then, 2 dudes standing in front of the ball window. Pick it up/tip it up/roll it onto the dollies. The rest should be self explanatory. Well maybe not. Roll it out, roll it up on the trailer. Strap it down and chalk the wheels so it won't want to roll front or back while you're driving. You can transport it on the dollys on it's side. Actually the safest way for the slate. Up on it's side is better then laying flat. Like moving glass. Good luck. Take it easy. Julio
Thank you for this I completely spaced out that you have to unscrew the levelers or damage them when tipping.

A kitchen table height chair scooted under the apron after lifting one side holds it in place while doing this. No jack required. Just lift it and push the chair under the apron.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember when I got my 9 foot GC IV, fresh out of a Steve Mizerak senior tournament. I felt like a fool cause I showed up with a uhaul and 3 guys.
The tables were already broken down and boxed. I felt good that my friends and I were done in less than 45 minutes until one of the guys running the place told us that someone, who came alone with a jeep wrangler, just loaded up the previous one.