Best way to shoot this shot

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pj, have you tried the bank? Has anyone else? Just curious if it’s a 1/50 make or a 1/5 make or even a 1/2 for a great banker.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Never missed short once. If I avoided the double kiss, the miss would usually be a diamond away from the target. Aiming just a hair fuller, and I'd get the kiss. There must be a super fine line between pocketing the ball and the kiss.

Adding low the misses were definitely closer to the pocket than with only inside. That surprised me. But banks are funny:)

I'm on a GC4, never in a pool room, original cushions, original Brunswick pocket size, 6 year old 860. I know Praire's table has been reworked by Gregory, I think it has super speed cushions and re-cut rail bevels? Praire, what would you estimate your make percentage of the bank if you shot it 10 times?

It's totally English. I hit the ball almost straight on and the extreme right hand English banks it in. Maybe only 2 of 10. Must chalk up every time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's totally English. I hit the ball almost straight on and the extreme right hand English banks it in. Maybe only 2 of 10. Must chalk up every time.
Ahhhh.... Maybe it helps to have a little chalk at the contact point.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I can make about 2-3 out of 10 and I do not think the chalk on the contact point is the factor.
Chalk at the contact point can be a huge factor, and has been shown to be a huge factor. Why do you think it's not important on this shot?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Pj, have you tried the bank? Has anyone else? Just curious if it’s a 1/50 make or a 1/5 make or even a 1/2 for a great banker.
Tried it a handful of times - haven't made it, but came within 1/2 diamond most times (if I didn't double kiss). I think you have to be pretty close to the kiss to make it.

This is on a GC5 with middle aged Simonis Tournament Blue cloth.

pj
chgo

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Chalk at the contact point can be a huge factor, and has been shown to be a huge factor. Why do you think it's not important on this shot?

Let me get this correct: So, you are writing, that if I can make the shot 2-3 times out of 10, each one that went in must have been a "chalk point" contact?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Let me get this correct: So, you are writing, that if I can make the shot 2-3 times out of 10, each one that went in must have been a "chalk point" contact?
No, I'm saying that I tried the shot for about 15 minutes and didn't really come close. I could make it if I moved the ball a ball and a half up the rail.

Then I rubbed chalk on the object ball on the contact point, put it back at the second diamond and make it on the first try.

I think that if you were more careful about keeping the balls clean you would not make 2 of 10.