BEWARE: SCAMMERS ARE IN OUR MIDST

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
320   0   0
Hey everyone;

Apparently scammers have found a vulnerability here on AZB so proceed with a lot of caution especially with sellers who are asking for payments that there is no recourse for should the goods not be delivered. If you don't know the seller or if you do you should confirm it's really them since some trusted member's accounts are being hacked. If you pay via PayPal use the Goods and Services option and if possible fund the payment with a credit card and you will be protected.

Report any suspicious activity to the Moderators.

Be careful.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

poolrod

I like old school
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
199   0   0
Hey everyone;

Apparently scammers have found a vulnerability here on AZB so proceed with a lot of caution especially with sellers who are asking for payments that there is no recourse for should the goods not be delivered. If you don't know the seller or if you do you really should confirm it's really them since some trusted member's accounts are being hacked. If you pay via PayPal use the Goods and Services option and if possible fund the payment with a credit card and you will be protected.

Report any suspicious activity to the Moderators.

Be careful.

best,
brian kc
Big time, it is sad you can’t trust a deal currently. There must be something in place to stop this.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Some are saying that Cuemaster98 had his account hacked on the 05 Runde cue for sale.

Das Cue-Boot

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You could request the seller place a piece of paper, with his name and the current date next to item, to prove they are in possession of the item. It's obviously not 100% fool proof, but at least you would know they didn't screen shot it.
A trick that has been used for ages at much higher levels than this is to include the front page from recent issue of a major newspaper.

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
261   0   0
Scammers aside, has anyone tried to recoup a payment sent via friends / family thru PayPal? To a complete stranger. For one, it’s low rent to charge people more than an item is listed at and two, what happens when you pay for something and worst case scenario a tragedy happens and your item doesn’t get shipped. Seller is in an accident etc. How do you explain to PayPal you actually have no idea who the people are but that 4% they nitted you on is now a complete headache. If priced accordingly, there’s no need to tack on extra fees such as PayPal and shipping. That’s what negotiating is for.

Maybe I’m old school but anytime I sell anything, I’ll never ask the buyer to pay extra…nor would I ever pay any extra fees when buying something.

Just a thought for any new folks 🤙🏼

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I only do biz with people I know, or who are “known” among the regulars here.

Cuemaster98 is known around here, but his account was hacked. The scammers are using his name to scam people. Unless you have a secret handshake kind of deal with people you know, you may not realize a scammer is behind an account belonging to one of your friends. Thankfully, the scammer who hacked Cuemaster98's account claimed he was Izzy Molina, a well known facebook dealer, but there are people who know that Cuemaster98 isn't Izzy Molina.

There are other accounts trying to sell cues that are almost certainly scammers, as well, e.g.:

unicorncomputer

Last edited:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Cuemaster98 is known around here, but his account was hacked. The scammers are using his name to scam people. Unless you have a secret handshake kind of deal with people you know, you may not realize a scammer is behind an account belonging to one of your friends. Thankfully, the scammer who hacked Cuemaster98's account claimed he was Izzy Molina, a well known facebook dealer, but there are people who know that Cuemaster98 isn't Izzy Molina.

There are other accounts trying to sell cues that are almost certainly scammers, as well, e.g.:

unicorncomputer
7Stud, I think you are very suspect since you’ve made multiple posts in Cumaster98’s Runde cue for sale post and then deleted them. You made a smart ass comment to me and deleted it. What’s your purpose here?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0

unicorncomputer
I know Duc forever. He’s 100% stand up. I hope his account didn’t get hacked. He’s among the most trusted person on AZB.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
A simple way to protect yourself in any deal is PM the account and make a phone call.

If Duc’s account was hacked wouldn’t matter. I’ve always spoke to him or anyone before I do a deal. No matter how well I know the person.

Whether I’m buying or selling there’s ALWAYS a phone call for every transaction. No exceptions. And at the end of the day-the calls are fun. Pool friends either way the $ flows.

Like I said “Protect yourself at all times”. Sending $ into thin air or a screen name is bad biz. As is collecting $ when selling something. I always speak to my customers before they send me $. Covers my ass and theirs.

Simple biz.

Fatboy<——never took a biz class in life,

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Fortunately the tax law that was supposed to be in place starting in 2022 to require PayPal and E bay to produce 1099s for transactions on accumulated online sales above $600 instead of the existing $20,000 plateau had been at least temporarily suspended from being instituted.

Therefore no real business reason to ask for Pay Pal F&F at present time.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 94.4%
17   1   0
Fortunately the tax law that was supposed to be in place starting in 2022 to require PayPal and E bay to produce 1099s for transactions on accumulated online sales above $600 instead of the existing $20,000 plateau had been at least temporarily suspended from being instituted.

Therefore no real business reason to ask for Pay Pal F&F at present time.
Anyone that uses F&F to buy anything from anyone other than maybe their own family is an idiot that deserves anything that happens. The days of this being even remotely safe are long gone. Too many asswipe scam artists.

Ratthead

Registered
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
A trick that has been used for ages at much higher levels than this is to include the front page from recent issue of a major newspaper.
Either one works, not sure why you think it's more effective. I would rather sign and date a piece of paper, than buy one. Most households don't necessarily have newspapers anymore, considering you can goggle the local news.

mooseman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I agree using PayPal Goods & Services is best. I’m willing to pay the fees as the buyer. I believe that VENMO has a similar option.

I would even use ESCROW but who determines the approved source.

As far as the hacking, I recommend everybody (active accounts) immediately change their passwords AND turn on MFA.