Bias with Your Own Team's Playing Order? (long)

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I think that many people might never give a second thought to their own team's playing order, but I have found that WHO you play each week is literally HUGE when it comes to the end of the league and where each player places in the standings.

Also, the leagues that I play in generally pay out extra money for the people who finish in first, second, and third place, along with individual trophies for first, second, and third place. One league does these two things and also the top player on each team at the end of the season gets to play in a separate “all-stars” tournament, with a chance to win even more money.

I've found that it's especially important to eliminate any biases in the playing order when you have a really strong team, where all 5 players are in the top 10 in the league, like is normally the case for our team.

Here is an example. Our captain one year insisted on playing FIRST each night. This was a league with 5-man teams, where the Away Team rotates down each round so each player only plays 3 of the people on the other team. While it's true that each team can put their players in any order in the line-up that they wish, the vast majority of teams arrange it so that their player with the highest average plays the last game of the night, the second highest average the second last game of the night, etc.

Therefore, if the captain of the team always plays FIRST in the line-up every night, they most likely will always be playing the 3 weakest players on the other team. This happened one year, and the captain, who was nowhere near the strongest player on our team, ended up with just three weeks left, with only a few games lost and all alone in first place in the league. Well, another player better than the captain and me insisted that the captain play last in the order for the last 3 weeks. And guess what happened? He lost his next 7 out of 9 games and ended-up second in the league.

For this very reason, I always insist that the highest average that week play the last game of the night, and the second highest average that week plays the second last game of the night, etc. And I'm normally the top player on our team, so I usually end-up playing the toughest players each week. But I insist on it, because it's fair for everyone else on our team. And if a player passes me for the high average, then the next week they need to play last. It helps to even out the finishes for all of the players on our OWN TEAM by the end of the year.

So now on to this year. We are playing in a new league, but the payouts for an individual are just like I mentioned above. The one difference in this league however, was that the highest averages on each team MUST play each other all 3 games. The second highest averages on each team MUST play each other all 3 games, etc. So the rules themselves are setup to eliminate most biases with the playing order.

So far so good. Except for one case. When two people on the same team have the exact same average. This happened to me twice this year. A teammate and I were tied for second in the league with the exact same average and with only 2 weeks left to play. And, we just happened to be playing a team where their player with the highest average was WAY better than their player with the second highest average. So whichever one of us got to play the much weaker player, was a HUGE favorite to win all 3 games and have a lock on second place in the league for the next week. (And the two teams we had to play to finish the season were the weakest teams in the league. So whoever on our team was in second before the last two weeks, had a really good chance to win all of their games and cinch second in the league and maybe even get first place in the league).

Now is where things went off the rails. Earlier in the year when the guy with the same average and I were tied before, we flipped a coin to see who had to play the strongest player on the other team. And the last time, I lost the flip and I played the stronger player. So far so good.

So now this new night that we were tied, I grab my teammate and pull out a coin to flip it, and he starts to hesitate. I told him that we did this last time and it's the only fair way to do it. I proceed to flip the coin, he called it, and he lost the flip. So far so good again. I'm now happy and thinking that I might have a chance to catch the guy in first place in the league.

But then our captain showed up. My teammate started to whine to the captain telling him that I wanted him to play the other team's top player. So I jump in and mention that we flipped for it like last time, but that he lost this time. The captain then proceeded to put my name down next to their top player and said that it's, “for the good of the team”. WTF?

I then started to protest a bit and then the captain literally lied to my face and he told me that I'm listed before my teammate on the standings sheet because I have more total wins, and that the guy who runs the league told him that since I have more total wins, that I'm ahead of him. So I stopped protesting and I played the top player. I was a huge favorite to beat the weaker player all 3 games, but I only beat their strongest player 2 games. My teammate also won 2 games, so we were tied again for the next week. (The last time my teammate played their top player, he only won 1 game. So obviously he wanted to have an easier night so he could stay in second place). The captain is better friends with my teammate too, so he sided with him and overruled our coin flip.

And in case anyone says that it WAS actually better for our team if I played their strongest player. I was a big favorite to beat the weaker player 3 games and my teammate beat their strongest player 1 game the last time that they played each other, which if this happened again, we would have gotten 4 total wins between us. That's exactly the number of wins that we got with me playing their strongest player. My teammate and I each won 2 games, for a total of 4 wins. So my teammate playing the weaker player was only really better for HIM, and not for the team. Lol

So I found out the next day from the guy who runs the league, that not only did he never tell our captain that I was ahead because I had more total wins, but that there is nothing to break a tie in this league. If you're tied, you're tied. So now I'm really pissed off. My captain lied to my face to benefit the other teammate and screwed me out of a chance to maybe catch the guy in first place.

I then informed the team in a group text message that the guy who runs the league told me that there is no tie-breaker and that he agrees that the most fair way to handle a tie is to flip a coin. Then you eliminate any bad karma of someone wanting to play the weaker player. You are just accepting the randomness of the coin flip and you play whoever you need to. And my team was basically ignoring anything that I told them. Like they didn't care and like I was just crying about it.

I admit that I'm very competitive. We just started playing in this league and I really wanted to take first-place, or to at least get as high as I could. The weird thing to me is, I was sure that my other teammates would jump all over the other teammate for crying to the captain to overrule the coin flip, but instead, they all were against ME and acted like I was the one crying. This whole experience left a really bad taste in my mouth and I'm pretty sure that I won't be playing with any of those guys ever again.

Am I being super anal or petty about this? Or should I be mad that my teammate and captain basically tried to give my teammate second place in the league, pretty much by decree?

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Where certain teammates insist on playing the weakest players every week? Do you mind if they then end-up tops in the league, while you've been struggling and trying to grind out your wins against all of the top players?

(I've got to say, the older that I get, the less and less tolerant that I am with any kind of unfair situations, BS, or lies. This one I think got the best of me, as small or insignificant as it may seem to some). So let's hear all of your opinions!

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I would never play on a team with you.
I actually expected this from some people. One guy on our team likes to "volunteer" to play the toughest player, instead of just flipping a coin. He says that "he's for the team" and that he doesn't care about where he places. People look at things differently. I just like to keep things fair with as little bias as possible. If we have fair rules, nobody needs to volunteer for anything to make themselves feel better.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I'm on your side . Find better people to play with.
I've been on quite a few different teams over the years. One year, we set up a "dream team" in our area. There was one team that always took first place for many, many years. So some of us decided to piece together a team that could beat them. Only one problem. We found out that many of the best players were very moody and anal. I figured out that many good players must have some strange characteristics that gave them the drive to be the best, but that affected some of their social skills. Our "dream team" was in first place halfway through the season. But....the best player on our team literally blew up over something small and quit midway through the season. Another player quit and kept coming back 4 or 5 times. We never did take first place with all of the drama. We took second. :unsure:

Last edited:

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
You know, the night we played I actually was okay with winning 2 games against the strong player. But I couldn't get past my Captain lying to my face to justify overruling the coin flip. I'm still surprised that nobody on the team had any problem at all with my teammate not accepting the results of the coin flip, since we used the coin flip the last time. I thought that at this stage in my life, NOBODY would be able to literally dictate to me what I had to do, especially in a game I love playing. I guess I'm getting even more stubborn as I get older....😂

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Dude, get a grip! :)
Come on! This type of thing has GOT to bother more people than ME! Trying to get first place and being screwed by your own teammates? That's how I still look at it. I guess I could have been the bigger man and willingly gave second place to my teammate. :unsure:

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've found that it's especially important to eliminate any biases in the playing order when you have a really strong team, where all 5 players are in the top 10 in the league, like is normally the case for our team.
Here is where the problem lies. You are on a team with 5 of the top 10 players in the league. How is this even remotely fair ??

As to disagreements with captain or players, I walked out of a league event after 3 (or 5) games because of something another player on my team said--never to return. I told the captain I would not play on a team with xxxxxxx .

I am sure there are other team in that league who would desire a top player such as yourself, just be sure to have a conversation with the captain before joining.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Here is where the problem lies. You are on a team with 5 of the top 10 players in the league. How is this even remotely fair ??

As to disagreements with captain or players, I walked out of a league event after 3 (or 5) games because of something another player on my team said--never to return. I told the captain I would not play on a team with xxxxxxx .

I am sure there are other team in that league who would desire a top player such as yourself, just be sure to have a conversation with the captain before joining.
A teammate in the past played with the "best" team in this league. So he decided to bring 5 guys together to beat this team. We had no idea that we would all be top players. Actually, we finished in first place in the league and our 5 players ended-up in the top 7 in the league. The guy who set up the team won't be playing next year due to surgery he needs to have, and I won't be playing with these guys either. So it was a "one-off" situation I guess. LOL

Here's the weird thing. The teammate who wouldn't accept the coin flip and most of our team kept saying that I'm better than him, so I should play their best player. But I believe that you're only as good as your average (or rating). If him and I are tied, then we are tied.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Everyone looks at things differently. For me it’s about having fun and working to play better than I did last week. I understand what you’re saying, but it has to wear you out, not sure what the answer is.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Everyone looks at things differently. For me it’s about having fun and working to play better than I did last week. I understand what you’re saying, but it has to wear you out, not sure what the answer is.
I didn't say this in the original write-up. But I suspect that my team was biased against me because they perceive me as the best player on the team. I practice every day and I REALLY wanted a crack at maybe taking first place in the league. I'm smart enough to know that that was ONLY possible if I was able to win the coin flip and play the weaker player on the other team. The whole season was going great until that point. We all got along, joked a lot. In fact, a GF of someone on a different team the week before actually told all of us that they can't believe the comradery that we all have. It just took an unfair call by a teammate and captain to set me over the edge. Then the captain lying to my face I just couldn't get past.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't say this in the original write-up. But I suspect that my team was biased against me because they perceive me as the best player on the team. I practice every day and I REALLY wanted a crack at maybe taking first place in the league. I'm smart enough to know that that was ONLY possible if I was able to win the coin flip and play the weaker player on the other team.

I’m struggling to understand the mindset that could say that you’re the best player on your team, but that you intentionally want to play the weaker of 2 opponents and leave a stronger player to your teammate. Especially given that, by your own admission, the end result was exactly what you would’ve forecasted had you played the dude you preferred.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I’m struggling to understand the mindset that could say that you’re the best player on your team, but that you intentionally want to play the weaker of 2 opponents and leave a stronger player to your teammate. Especially given that, by your own admission, the end result was exactly what you would’ve forecasted had you played the dude you preferred.
I just wanted to abide by the coin flip. If I lose the flip, I play the WAY stronger player. I only beat the strong player 2 games. Had I played the weaker player, I was a huge favorite to win all 3 of my games and could have maybe caught the guy in first place. The team would have gotten 4 games won by my teammate and me either way we did it. So the team wasn't affected at all. The only thing that was affected was who would potentially get second place in the league (more money and trophy), either my teammate or me. My teammate and my average were the same (tied). So as far as the league is concerned, we were playing at the same level. Period. I said that my teammates all said I'm better. I could care less about their "perception". The reality was that my teammate and I were the same at that point in time.

Our team took first place in the league. But the league gives extra money and trophies for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd for the INDIVIDUAL too. The team was fine either way. The issue was, the captain overriding the fair coin flip to give my teammate the best chance to take second place as an INDIVIDUAL in the league.

And the kicker is. With this very same teammate earlier in the year, we were tied and we flipped a coin. Well, in that case I lost, so he was perfectly willing to accept the results of the coin flip THAT time. LOL

EDIT: In case you missed it in the original post. This league is set up so that the highest average on each team must play each other all 3 games, and the second highest averages from each team must play each other all 3 games, etc. So if my teammate and I have the exact same top average on our team, we must decide who will play their highest average player. A coin flip is the only fair way for the INDIVIDUAL standings sake.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was always the last player on our team for the two years I played in a league in ND.

We won the championship both years.

I had the highest average, most wins, and most of the records for the league both years.

Quit whining and play whoever they put you against.

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
I was always the last player on our team for the two years I played in a league in ND.

We won the championship both years.

I had the highest average, most wins, and most of the records for the league both years.

Quit whining and play whoever they put you against.
I would say that you were way better than your teammates then. Obviously in that situation you NEVER had to worry about this type of situation. Good for you.

And I won't be playing with this team anymore. On the other night that I play I do actually play last, since I'm the highest average. No complaints.

It seems like nobody has a problem with the captain lying to my face. When I found out the next day that he did that, I decided that I was done with him. Sure, pool teammates aren't like a spouse, but no way I'm playing with shady goofs.

And technically I am whining, as it would be pretty hard to tell the story and ask for opinions and not write what happened and what I think about it.

_______

Last edited:

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would say that you were way better than your teammates then. Obviously in that situation you NEVER had to worry about this type of situation. Good for you.

And I won't be playing with this team anymore. On the other night that I play I do actually play last, since I'm the highest average. No complaints.

It seems like nobody has a problem with the captain lying to my face. When I found out the next day that he did that, I decided that I was done with him. Sure, pool teammates aren't like a spouse, but no way I'm playing with shady goofs.

And technically I am whining, as it would be pretty hard to tell the story and ask for opinions and not write what happened and what I think about it.

_______
It’s best to move on. The reason they aren’t pissed at your captain is because they are tired of your drama.
Justified or not your team has a problem with you. I’m an easygoing guy and I’ll never be a team captain again. Dealing with players who have agendas other than showing up, playing hard and having fun is too much of a PITA for me. You sound like you are adding to the headaches for your captain.
if you want to meet individual goals play tournaments.
The last thing is, how could you feel good about yourself winning the league if you ducked good players? I wouldn’t feel good about that. If you truly are a competitive person work harder so you can win the league no matter who you play.
This is tough love because I think you need to hear it.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
This^^^^

I am curious on your player ranking system. I play in what sounds like a somewhat similar league and our personal averages are based on ball count. A 17 being flawless, 13 being very strong, (10 for the win and 1 point for each opponent's ball left standing).

My current team fields 5 players from a pool of 7, (post covid) and we have legitimately the top 4 players in the league...lol. Before anyone cries foul on such a top heavy team. The handicap we give up due to our individual averages is massive, so it's no cake walk for us.

Where things start to separate from the OP's league is that we play everyone on the opposing team once. So there's no advantage to playing order in terms of personal gains. That said, the problem we'd have is the reverse to the OP's. All of us would want the head of the top player on the opposing team.

I know it's always nice in tournaments to land on the other side of the bracket from the top players in hopes of an easier title. However winning a tournament doesn't mean you're the best player on that day. If you want to be declared the best player in the league, you need to beat the best. This is one of the reasons I stopped playing APA. They have this 'MVP' rankings to provide an individual goal for stronger players. However after the first go round, all the captains would protect their strong players from a loss to me. Frustrating for someone that wants to compete.

To the OP, if you feel like you got screwed then leave the team. Personally as long as the team climate is fine otherwise, I'd stay on and enjoy the bragging rights over the coward ;)

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I love playing the best opponent. That's the reason for me.

Anyone on our teams who didn't want to play one of the best players in town, isn't on our teams anymore.

jeff Livingston