Biggest Match on Earth or Biggest scam on Earth?

actionplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there has been grumblings on other threads but here it is flat out.

Is the shane v dennis match a scam or not?
I have bought the stream and was less than 30 bucks so dont feel bad and will still watch some great pool but i am gutted if this is a glorified exhibition where players are chopping up the stream and door sales and just hyping this all up

Reasons I think this is not a scam:
1. it is pretty elaborate scheme that takes some planning and I dont think Frenchy has the capacity to conjure it up.
2. SVB or Mars I would imagine would have big probes with being cons or accomplices with this
3. The rivalry between these two is ther for all to see and the winner will inevitably be crowned victor over the other therefore I cant see either of them not playing their best to get the recognition. However im sure they will play their best but the question is whether there is 100k up or not.
4. The side action. There is a ton of it and will be at the premises, if they figure out this is BS then i think be very dangerous place to be for both parties.

Reasons it sounds like a scam:
1. Dennis v KO basically got found out as an exhibition
2. French was at the derby and did not make many fans least of all with Mike dechaine who was one of the whistle blowers on this upcoming match
3. who has put up the money? SVB stated 20k is up already but where is the other 30k?
4. When it sounds to good to be true it usually is.

I am still up for betting on the match but dropping my line by a lot because of the shenanigans. Taking SVB.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know there has been grumblings on other threads but here it is flat out.

Is the shane v dennis match a scam or not?
I have bought the stream and was less than 30 bucks so dont feel bad and will still watch some great pool but i am gutted if this is a glorified exhibition where players are chopping up the stream and door sales and just hyping this all up

Reasons I think this is not a scam:
1. it is pretty elaborate scheme that takes some planning and I dont think Frenchy has the capacity to conjure it up.
2. SVB or Mars I would imagine would have big probes with being cons or accomplices with this
3. The rivalry between these two is ther for all to see and the winner will inevitably be crowned victor over the other therefore I cant see either of them not playing their best to get the recognition. However im sure they will play their best but the question is whether there is 100k up or not.
4. The side action. There is a ton of it and will be at the premises, if they figure out this is BS then i think be very dangerous place to be for both parties.

Reasons it sounds like a scam:
1. Dennis v KO basically got found out as an exhibition
2. French was at the derby and did not make many fans least of all with Mike dechaine who was one of the whistle blowers on this upcoming match
3. who has put up the money? SVB stated 20k is up already but where is the other 30k?
4. When it sounds to good to be true it usually is.

I am still up for betting on the match but dropping my line by a lot because of the shenanigans. Taking SVB.

Dennis vs. Ko was NOT an exhibition! Both players thought they were playing for more money than there actually was. Money did change hands after the match, just not 20K!

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whether they play for 5 grand or 100 grand makes no difference to me. No matter how much $$$ is in the middle both players want to beat the other so I'll have a cigar & watch. It don't git no better than this.

Corwyn_8

Energy Curmudgeon
Silver Member
If it is not worth watching solely for the players, it is not worth watching for the 'money'.

Thank you kindly.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis vs. Ko was NOT an exhibition! Both players thought they were playing for more money than there actually was. Money did change hands after the match, just not 20K!

Hi Jay,

I think Dennis has a strong chance against anybody, but I'm wondering why he didn't push for tougher table conditions in this match. It seems that Dennis plays better than anybody in the world on 4 inch pockets. He showed that against Ko. I think smaller pockets would definitely be to Dennis' advantage because he shoots straighter than anybody in the world and it would nullify Shane's break advantage to an extent.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Both players thought they were playing for more money than there actually was.

Are you saying they actually didn't know about the reduced money until after the match? They played thinking it was for 10k+?

That's jacked up. I thought it was just the streamers who were not informed.
Failing to tell the players could be shooting yourself in the foot.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Hi Jay,

I think Dennis has a strong chance against anybody, but I'm wondering why he didn't push for tougher table conditions in this match. It seems that Dennis plays better than anybody in the world on 4 inch pockets. He showed that against Ko. I think smaller pockets would definitely be to Dennis' advantage because he shoots straighter than anybody in the world and it would nullify Shane's break advantage to an extent.

They should make shane play bareboot and let dennis play in platform shoes.
I swear it helps shane that he doesn't have to go for the bridge as often.
I've seen dennis wreck a few shots with it.
And height helps shane jump pretty well too.

Really though, pockets etc. won't matter if dennis breaks dry and/or can't park the 1. They both kick so good that any safety battle seems like it'll be a tossup who sells out first.

HouTexPlayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Mars has a reputation for being a 100% straight shooter. I can't see him attaching his name to something that's not on the up and up.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Whether they play for 5 grand or 100 grand makes no difference to me. No matter how much $$$ is in the middle both players want to beat the other so I'll have a cigar & watch. It don't git no better than this.

You are very wise. Surely, they've got something at stake, and these are bitter rivals who will badly want to beat each other.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hi Jay,

My thoughts, too. On 4" pockets, my pick would be Dennis. On 4 1/2", I think he'll have a hard time winning a race of this length.

You've omitted that Dennis (perhaps tied with Alex and Efren) is the best defensive player in the world and the 4" pockets would mean more defensive play in the match.

EL'nino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On 4.5 pockets Shane wins by 25 games, on 4" pocket Shane only wins by 10. That's why these matches are so great.... We all have our opinions and when the rubber hits the road we will know for sure. I can't wait. We are blessed pool fans:cool::cool:

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it is not worth watching solely for the players, it is not worth watching for the 'money'.

Thank you kindly.

While we all love to watch a match with good play, there are some of us interested just as much in watching the high action aspect of it. Not to mention the amount in the middle can potentially have implications on the side action too ( ex - nerves etc. ).

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John Mars has a reputation for being a 100% straight shooter. I can't see him attaching his name to something that's not on the up and up.
If you know John personally(I do), then you know what ever he says is on the up and up. If he says he is putting up 50,000, he is putting up 50,000.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are very wise. Surely, they've got something at stake, and these are bitter rivals who will badly want to beat each other.

If the Panthers and Broncos had played in week 1, would watching that be the same as watching them play in the Super Bowl?

Would it have generated the same amount of "outside" interest?

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the Panthers and Broncos had played in week 1, would watching that be the same as watching them play in the Super Bowl?

Would it have generated the same amount of "outside" interest?

Sorry, your analogy does not compute in this. It isn't the end of the season, these players could turn around and play double or nothing the next day if they want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry, your analogy does not compute in this. It isn't the end of the season, these players could turn around and play double or nothing the next day if they want.

It computes just fine.

The point is playing for a hot dog isn't the same thing as playing for 50k, even if the level of play is exactly the same: not to the players, not to the backers, not to the side betters, and not to normal spectators.

I'm sorry, but anyone who says the size of the bet and, thus, importance of the match doesn't affect their interest is in denial or full of shit on some level.

robsnotes4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It computes just fine.

The point is playing for a hot dog isn't the same thing as playing for 50k, even if the level of play is exactly the same: not to the players, not to the backers, not to the side betters, and not to normal spectators.

I'm sorry, but anyone who says the size of the bet and, thus, importance of the match doesn't affect their interest is in denial or full of shit on some level.

Incorrect and BS. The only way it affects my interest, if it was my own money. Their money has no affect. Who is playing who does.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Not exactly a classy thing to say about someone you disagree with
Stay classy not crassy:grin: