Biggest pet peeve when beating someone

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Players also believe their A game is their normal game. So in most cases they’re trying to rationalize their big defeat without personaly tarnishing their own beliefs in themselves. It’s easier to say you’ve never played this bad ever, compared to, this is my average game and I got beat.

i sent you a greenie for this post
right on...:thumbup::thumbup:

gypsy_soul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guy sounds like a a^*wipe loser. Who cares what douches like this say? I avoid these jerkoffs like the plague. Bad juju being around people like that.

I just say yeah you played a little bad but um wanna try again tomorrow I'm sure you will play better and do you wanna raise the bet ? That will cure them quickly!

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You crushed a guy and you are upset about what he said? What is he supposed to do...bow down and tell you how great you played?

My rule If I win is let 'em say what they want.....it does not matter!!!! People say stuff like that usually because they are upset or embarrassed after getting a beat down.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rezactly!

You're missing a wonderful opportunity to create and embrace a regular "customer" by not being able to emotionally separate between 'personal' and 'business'.
This is the type of player you can milk for YEARS if you handle things properly.
"I know, you had a bad night, I've seen you play a lot better than this, maybe you can have better luck next time".
"I got all the rolls...it was just a bad night for you"
"I hope when we play again that I can be as lucky as I was tonight...I've seen you play so much better".
See how it's done?
Learn PEOPLE MANAGEMENT and watch your bankroll get fatter while they keep on loving to get beat by you.
(you don't make money playing pool by being the big bad wolf.......you make money playing pool by being the wolf in sheep's clothing)
:grin:

Rezactly! I typed and deleted similar posts a few times last night. You got the cheese, let the other player have the whine. I used to farm people for months. One of my best "customers" got milked two or three times a week for about six months. You don't do that by telling them they suck, take two weeks off and then quit! When they moan you agree, yeah you were a little off tonight and I got the rolls.

Something that many players don't realize, the player that lets the cue ball run wild and beats you in a short race deserves the same respect as anyone else that beats you. While their style of play results in more scratches and more blocked shots of their own making, it also positions them for the occasional lucky game or set. Instead of giving them a crappy half smile they should be congratulated with a big smile, "congratulations, you played great!"

They will be jumping up to meet you at the door to play you again. Cash isn't the only reward for playing pool. If the reward you desire is cash, give the other player the other rewards.

I think it was William Claude Dukenfield that said, "Never smarten a chump and never give a sucker an even break!"

Mkbtank

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My stroke is so ugly, even when I win people cannot believe it lol. They say .. “you got all the rolls” or “got lucky”... And I agree with them and empathize with them completely!!!! It’s music to my ears and money to my wallet when they say that hahah.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Biggest pet peeve when beating someone"

Sometimes, the blood splats on my shoes and then I have to clean them.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
So you don't like a sore loser. OK.

What makes you think being a bad winner is any better??

I'd rather play the other guy than you.

You felt it necessary to explain why he won (1) game, and later you claim that after winning you sometimes want to punch the wall.

And folks continue to wonder why pool, as a sport, can't shed the negative stigma of attracting bad sportsman, losers, and the dregs of society.

-von

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
……….. while they were gone I gave the money I won back to their girlfriends. I figured there would be nothing more humbling then having their girlfriends give them back their money :)

LOL, the girls are keeping the money. ;)

Lonestar_jim

Two & Out
Silver Member
When I’m delivering the last few blows and you can see they want to pass out but can’t from steady pain, they look up and beg you to stop because the have kids and a wife to care for.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know what bugs the fook outta me?

When you beat a muthafugger, and he tries to GIVE YOU MONEY.

I keep telling them, "NO!". But they get all weird on me, and say, "Its ok, you won, I'm just paying off.".

Some guys would complain if you hung them with a new rope. :thumbup:

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t have a problem with bad losers. I don’t have a problem with bad winners either but they are I guess my pet peeve - they could be so much better, so much more classy, and up the standard of the game.

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's funny. You said you just met him but in your original post you said he's on your team.

Do yourself a favor and just focus on your own game.

Haven't gotten through reading the rest of these yet, but no, this was several different situations with different people. The guys i played on Thursday and Tuesday league are not on my team. The guy i played 40-1 is my buddy that is on my team.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Haven't gotten through reading the rest of these yet, but no, this was several different situations with different people. The guys i played on Thursday and Tuesday league are not on my team. The guy i played 40-1 is my buddy that is on my team.

I think the point is there is a world full of guys that
can beat you the same way and have you muttering
all kinds of stuff under your breath or otherwise.

Sometimes your the hammer, sometimes your the nail.
Best to be nice to your customers.
Do your best after a beat down to not be a jerk.
And just enjoy the game.

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't play for 4 hours beating someone unless it was for money. My game breaks down, I lose focus and concentration. However, flip it around, I can play someone for four hours and lose and be focused the whole time. Of course, rather not play for money in that situation.

I remember playing a friend a long time ago before I really worked at learning the game. He did know the game and fairly well at that. He beat me like 30 games to 1. I told him afterward how lucky he was getting with his leaves. He just laughed and said yeah, it was luck. Obviously now I know better.

I don't usually play somebody for that long but he is kinda the player on my team that has the best chance of winning the 3rd match we need him to win in this tournament. So when i was played him, i was coaching on every game on things to do, ie: play safe here to not leave me the out, shoot that ball next and save that as your key ball for the 8 etc. So it wasn't just a silent match against a person i don't like, it was a buddy on my thursday team and we were bsing most of the time but he still made a few comments that annoyed me regarding playing bad. Even though the match wasn't serous, it still bothered me that he thought he should have beaten me more when he clearly isn't capable, even with my giving him advice on how to beat me as i as playing him.

To this guy - "So you don't like a sore loser. OK.

What makes you think being a bad winner is any better??

I'd rather play the other guy than you.

You felt it necessary to explain why he won (1) game, and later you claim that after winning you sometimes want to punch the wall.

And folks continue to wonder why pool, as a sport, can't shed the negative stigma of attracting bad sportsman, losers, and the dregs of society.

-von"

I don't feel i'm a bad winner, i didn't go sh*t talkingt his guy to anybody, kinda brought it anonymously to AZB to see gauge if this is a regular thing that people know how to deal with. I don't know if i wrote that post up very poorly, but this was three different situations with different people and the guy who wants to punch a hole in the wall is another guy, i know how to control my emotions. There is several people that i routinely come up against in league that go sharking, expect the whole pool hall to go silent and still when they shoot and get kicked out of league every other session for some crazy outbursts that routinely think luck got the better of them, or that fly outside buzzed in their line of sight 20 feet away etc. I was basically looking for ways to take the high road whilst expressing that it bothers me and how others deal with it, so i feel your post was unnecessary and brought nothing to the conversation whatsoever.

To everyone else bringing up good points about keeping the sheep around to skin frequently, there isn't much action around here and 2/3 of these situations happened in the middle of an APA league, the other one was on a Tuesday in house league, so not people that i see around the pool hall looking for action so much as the random guy i come across once every league session who won't even practice with me. I also would never take money from a teammate, i think that would get some bad blood going.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“Looking to take the high road while expressing my feelings and
how others deal with it”( a rough quote”)

Here is my story:

I have been involved in competitive sports for as long
as I can remember. Hockey, football, soccer, wrasslin’,
basketball, etc. Organized and pick up games at the
park.

I HATE losing!

I have broken hockey sticks, taken a shot after the bell
in a boxing match, started fights, popped a basketball,
taken my ball and gone home, called the opposition
every name in the book, hell even the parents used
to fight in the stands after their kid lost the game.

When I first started competing at pool I was out of
high school a year or two so a little older but still a sore loser at times.
Saying they got lucky, not shaking hand, muttering b.s. under my
breath, conversing with my teammates about my opponent, etc.
Better but still terrible.

There came a point in my pool and life progression that I hit a plateau.
I decided that I needed to be a better loser if I was ever going to progress.
I started taking responsibility for my losses, my misses, my luck, everything.

It was all on me. I don’t need to s&$t on them. They deserve to win and
not be berated or mistreated in any way. If they win, it’s my fault end of story.
Shake hands and let them enjoy their accomplishment.

It was very hard in the beginning. I struggled with it and still do. I may
even have a running commentary of excuses in my head but no longer
let it show outwardly. I take a few deep breaths, remember this game
has some luck and even Efren has missed with b.i.h.

So when I play someone who breaks their cue down mid set, snaps their cue,
says or does some of the things I mentioned, I take it in stride.
They are human and have faults like me. Maybe they just had a bad day.
Maybe the have mental issues. Maybe they are working on it.

At the end of the day that is on them. I can only control myself and
do my best to enjoy the game and enjoy being above ground.

Derek7646

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“Looking to take the high road while expressing my feelings and
how others deal with it”( a rough quote”)

Here is my story:

I have been involved in competitive sports for as long
as I can remember. Hockey, football, soccer, wrasslin’,
basketball, etc. Organized and pick up games at the
park.

I HATE losing!

I have broken hockey sticks, taken a shot after the bell
in a boxing match, started fights, popped a basketball,
taken my ball and gone home, called the opposition
every name in the book, hell even the parents used
to fight in the stands after their kid lost the game.

When I first started competing at pool I was out of
high school a year or two so a little older but still a sore loser at times.
Saying they got lucky, not shaking hand, muttering b.s. under my
breath, conversing with my teammates about my opponent, etc.
Better but still terrible.

There came a point in my pool and life progression that I hit a plateau.
I decided that I needed to be a better loser if I was ever going to progress.
I started taking responsibility for my losses, my misses, my luck, everything.

It was all on me. I don’t need to s&$t on them. They deserve to win and
not be berated or mistreated in any way. If they win, it’s my fault end of story.
Shake hands and let them enjoy their accomplishment.

It was very hard in the beginning. I struggled with it and still do. I may
even have a running commentary of excuses in my head but no longer
let it show outwardly. I take a few deep breaths, remember this game
has some luck and even Efren has missed with b.i.h.

So when I play someone who breaks their cue down mid set, snaps their cue,
says or does some of the things I mentioned, I take it in stride.
They are human and have faults like me. Maybe they just had a bad day.
Maybe the have mental issues. Maybe they are working on it.

At the end of the day that is on them. I can only control myself and
do my best to enjoy the game and enjoy being above ground.

Well put. Best take away i think is that we can only control our actions, not their actions and the fact that nobody is perfect. It does feel a little less offensive when i think about it like that.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Biggest pet peeve when beating someone........they dont pay up....:eek:......:grin-square: