Bigginers: I see this bridge used incorrectly everyday.

ktrepal85

Banned
Almost everyday I see a beginner player incorrectly use this bridge. The bridge in this picture is correct. Note where the thumb position is. Your thumb should not be on the other side of the stick. Hopefully I'll stop seeing this as often...
 
Happy that tucking your thumb works for you.
It may not be universal just because you like it.
 
With the palm/heel of the hand so far off the table? Looks pretty unstable to me.

Most of the time I tuck my thumb on the left side of the cue (as shown in the photo), but there are LOTS of times that it is not the best option.
 
With the palm/heel of the hand so far off the table? Looks pretty unstable to me.
The rail is the bridge, not the hand. Maybe there's a reason to have the heel of the hand on the rail, but bridge stability doesn't seem to be it.

pj
chgo
 
Happy that tucking your thumb works for you.
It may not be universal just because you like it.
It doesn't have to be universal to be a better idea. Everything isn't just a matter of personal preference.

I think having the thumb over the shaft hides too much of it.

pj
chgo
 
I can't seem to find a bridge high enough....
...so I can jump off it when I hang the 9....:angry:
 
Almost everyday I see a beginner player incorrectly use this bridge. The bridge in this picture is correct. Note where the thumb position is. Your thumb should not be on the other side of the stick. Hopefully I'll stop seeing this as often...
It's important to note that the thumbnail should be against the left side of the stick, just as Willie Mosconi taught us. This is especially important for breaking from the side rail.
 
I love the threads like this, like the one where some random creates a thread to say that elbow drop is wrong...

As if these topics have never ever been discussed here on a website that has thousands of pool players posting everyday. As if they have some type of knowledge that is irrefutable and no one else had any idea about it.
 
Yet another "Must do it my way thread" to screw the novice up on AZB. Reading AZB probably adds a year or so to the new players learning curve. Johnnyt
 
Last edited:
Do this test. Get to a table, setup a ball about 3" from the rail. Create your bridge.

If you leave the thumb parallel to the cue stick notice the angle of the middle finger from the line of the shot.

Now, tuck your thumb under your palm. NO TUCK IT lol. Now take a look at what happens with your middle finger.
 
........................
 

Attachments

  • 26ford_t_coupe.jpg
    26ford_t_coupe.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
I love the threads like this, like the one where some random creates a thread to say that elbow drop is wrong...

As if these topics have never ever been discussed here on a website that has thousands of pool players posting everyday. As if they have some type of knowledge that is irrefutable and no one else had any idea about it.
But the OP is a little lacking with the SPELLING knowledge!! haha
 
I love the threads like this, like the one where some random creates a thread to say that elbow drop is wrong...

As if these topics have never ever been discussed here on a website that has thousands of pool players posting everyday. As if they have some type of knowledge that is irrefutable and no one else had any idea about it.

He also said in the same breath that you don't have to look at the object ball last to be a good player. Perhaps the rare exception is if you have a Gold Crown IV with English Green cloth?

I can't break, I can't draw, will breaking result in holes in my cloth, and today, where should I squat?

I often wonder if some start threads so they can improve their game, or their real intent is merely to amuse themselves, or they thrive on the attention?

I enjoy informative threads. That's why I visit; to learn, but the recent outbreak of thinly veiled, attention getting theads is really starting to become annoying.

This applies somewhat to pedantic threads, but mostly to those who must lay awake at night trying to dream up thread topics. I am a most willing "protege", but only to those that post matters of true relevance.
 
I can't seem to find a bridge high enough....
...so I can jump off it when I hang the 9....:angry:

I was so depressed after getting my clock cleaned playing One Pocket, that I jumped from a basement window. Damn near twisted my ankle. :)
 
I saw the Old Gentleman from whom I had to steal everything use this bridge when I was 13. I tried it & could not get comfortable with the cue riding on that top side of the thumb & the nail.

I know it's better but can not for the life of me make myself do it.

Every time I notice someone use it I give it a feel test & I still can't make myself do it.

I guess I'll forever be on the wrong side of this one.

Best 2 All,
Rick
 
Back
Top