Billiard ball deterioration

GreekTycoon

Registered
OK, please help settle an argument. Do pool balls - new in the box, stored under normal conditions - deteriorate over time? A freind has a set of Brubswick Centennials fron the '70's. Have they lost anything? Thanks in advance. (BTW, I say "no." There's the argument...)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK, please help settle an argument. Do pool balls - new in the box, stored under normal conditions - deteriorate over time? A freind has a set of Brubswick Centennials fron the '70's. Have they lost anything? Thanks in advance. (BTW, I say "no." There's the argument...)
Are the white parts yellowed?

I think that balls are made more accurately now. I'm not saying that the 1970s balls have gotten worse, just that they are not as good as what is available now. If they are in fact NIB, you may want to save them as collectibles.

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
If they are left in a box with no light, they will turn yellow. After you put them into play again, they should start to look better.

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I put my Centenntials on an automatic watch winder. It ensures my balls do not get flat spots. This really makes me sleep better at night.

JCurry

can I use my mulligan?
Silver Member
I put my Centenntials on an automatic watch winder. It ensures my balls do not get flat spots. This really makes me sleep better at night.

Somehow, I'm not surprised that you would have something to offer here. :p

TheBook

Ret Professional Goof Off
Silver Member
Check to see if the numbers and or the rings have popped. I have a set that came with my table in 1975. The rings and numbers lifted. I don't know if this was from age or having the bright idea of cleaning them in the dishwasher. Didn't really notice until after I "cleaned" them.

Frankenstroke

2 Gus Szamboti cues
Silver Member
Jim MsDermott (the cue guy) told me he stored some sets and they lost their shape.

I'm just sayin'...