Billiard University (BU) playing-ability-exam scores and ratings

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for posting this little by little. Don't have a good setup at home yet so having to make time while out to practice, redo drills, measure, etc.

Measured the throat on the table I did the exams on, it was 3 7/8".

So I think you have everything now. Will do more 10-ball drills - should be doing more ghost-type drills anyway to focus more - and also redo the exams when I get a chance, will let you know if anything improves.

And yes, I'm hoping to give Gerry a run for his money, although he's a very solid player and maybe a bit more consistent than me, evidenced by his 10-ball scores especially. I can't beat the 10 ball ghost, typically am running out 4 - 5 racks per 10, sometimes only 3, rarely 6. Have more consistency with the 9 ball ghost for sure, beat that much more often, but I also don't play 10 ball a lot and need to work on my break and extra concentration, not only in the early stages but also not playing too loose as the traffic is eliminated.

It's the battle of the Pro One devotees - with a little SEE sprinkled in for myself... :) I'm sure I can get in the mid 150's, getting above 160 will be tough, will definitely give it a few more attempts.
Scott

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry for posting this little by little. Don't have a good setup at home yet so having to make time while out to practice, redo drills, measure, etc.

Measured the throat on the table I did the exams on, it was 3 7/8".
Thanks. The updated list is below. We are still missing throat sizes from:
RobMan, iusedtoberich, and SeanChamp

and 10-ball ghost scores from:
12squared, TheOneGnat, row21097, and SeanChamp

It would also be cool if more AZB'ers submit their BU scores and other info (hopefully, over a wide range of playing ability). Instructions and demonstrations can be found on the first post of the thread.

So I think you have everything now. Will do more 10-ball drills - should be doing more ghost-type drills anyway to focus more - and also redo the exams when I get a chance, will let you know if anything improves.

And yes, I'm hoping to give Gerry a run for his money, although he's a very solid player and maybe a bit more consistent than me, evidenced by his 10-ball scores especially. I can't beat the 10 ball ghost, typically am running out 4 - 5 racks per 10, sometimes only 3, rarely 6. Have more consistency with the 9 ball ghost for sure, beat that much more often, but I also don't play 10 ball a lot and need to work on my break and extra concentration, not only in the early stages but also not playing too loose as the traffic is eliminated.

It's the battle of the Pro One devotees - with a little SEE sprinkled in for myself... :) I'm sure I can get in the mid 150's, getting above 160 will be tough, will definitely give it a few more attempts.
I look forward to seeing how much you can improve and how close you can get to Gerry.

Thank you again for participating,
Dave

List of AZB'ers who have taken the BU playing-ability exams so far (in ranked order):

BU score -- Username -- BU Rating, 10-ball ghost rating -- table: size, corner pocket mouth, throat, shelf -- Video links (if available):
159 -- Gerry Williams -- adv-3 (A+/A), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Setup, Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
156 -- Gerry Williams -- adv-3 (A+/A), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Setup, Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II
149 -- scottjen26 -- adv-3 (A+/A), 64 (A+) -- table 9', 4 1/2", 3 7/8", 1 1/2" -- Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II
141 -- 12squared (Dave Gross) -- adv-3 (A+/A); no 10-ball ghost score yet -- table: 9', 4 7/8", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" -- no videos (see AZB post)
141 -- Neil -- adv-3 (A+/A); 60 (A) -- table: 7', 4 1/8", 3 1/2", 1 3/8" -- Exam (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
135 -- dr_dave -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 54 (B+) -- table: 8', 4 3/4", 4 1/8", 1 3/8" -- Exam I, Exam II
132 -- Gerry Williams -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Setup, Exam I, Exam II (part 1, part 2)
132 -- BRussell -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 51 (B+) -- table: 8', 5", 4 1/4", 1 1/2" -- Exam I, Exam II
125 -- TheOneGnat -- adv-2 (A-/B+), no 10-ball ghost score yet -- table: 8', 4 1/2 in, 4 in, 1 5/8 in -- no videos (see AZB post)
124 -- JC -- adv-1 (B/B-), 42 (C+) -- table: 9', 4 7/16", 3 7/8", 1 3/8" -- Table Specs, Exam 1, Exam 2
117 -- RobMan -- adv-1 (B/B-), 46 (B) -- table: 9', 5", no throat yet, 1" -- no videos (see AZB post)
112 -- RobMan -- adv-1 (B/B-), 46 (B) -- table: 9', 5", no throat yet, 1" -- no videos (see AZB post)
108 -- row21097 -- int-3 (B-/C+), no 10-ball ghost score yet -- table: 9', 4 1/2”, 4”, 1 1/2” -- Table Setup, Exam I (part 1, part 2, part 3), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
87 -- iusedtoberich -- int-2 (C+/C), 38 (C) -- table: 9', 5 1/8", not throat yet, 1 1/2" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II
78 -- iusedtoberich -- int-2 (C+/C), 38 (C) -- table: 9', 5 1/8", not throat yet, 1 1/2" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II
77 -- SeanChamp -- int-2 (C+/C), no 10-ball ghost score yet -- table: 8, 4 1/2", no throat yet, 1" -- no videos (see AZB post)

Here are the details and scores for all official BU graduates.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I will try this as well. I think you should make people do it with both sides of the table though. It's an important part of pool to be able to shoot well on both sides and it would also show the students where they are weaker when on the uncomfortable side.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I will try this as well.
John,

I'm glad to hear you will participate. I look forward to seeing your score/rating (and videos if available).

I think you should make people do it with both sides of the table though. It's an important part of pool to be able to shoot well on both sides and it would also show the students where they are weaker when on the uncomfortable side.
I will add this to the list for future consideration; although, we don't want to increase the length of the exams very much (if at all). Drill F6 (ball pocketing) does test both sides of the table; but I agree with you that it would be helpful to also test both sides of the table on some of the other Exam I drills (except maybe for F2-F4 where reach can be a concern, which is why we encourage lefties to use the other side of the table).

Catch you later,
Dave

Last edited:

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
FWIW Dr. Dave...

I administered the fundamentals test to 4 people of varying abilities. The result were in line with my thoughts on their respective skill levels.

Subject A is a fella who used to play a bit in his younger days but has not played in a number of years. He scored a 13.

Subject B is a gal who is a 62 in USAPL and plays quite regularly. I would rank her about a C- or so. She scored a 26.

These were on a 9 footer diamond with pockets >4.5" . I have not measured the pockets yet but estimate them to be either 4 5/8" to 4 3/4" at the points.

Subject C is most likely a B- to C+ skill level. He scored a 52.

Subject D is a solid B to B+. He could even peak into A- on occasion. He scored a 68 but he performed much faster than he normally plays. Might have been bored with it. I thought he would have scored a little higher. Was hoping he would hit the 80's. He started with 10, 9, 10 then fell off on the next two with a 5 and a 4.

C and D tests were on a Diamond 7' table with 4.5" pockets

I have taken the fundamentals test a second time on my Diamond 9 footer and improved all the way to 62!

I apologize for no videos but time is short right now. I will post up a video asap.

I have seen a lot of interest in what I am doing by bystanders while administering these tests. I anticipate a lot more random results in the future. We'll see :)

Ken

I finally finished a couple of videos for this. I am pretty disappointed with the results but that's the way it goes. :eek:

Table dimensions - http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2428961
Exam 1 - http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2435143
Exam 2 - http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2455141

Exam 1 - 57
Exam 1 - 67 http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2488344
Exam 2 - 45
Exam 2 - 60 http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2514636

JT's 10 Ball Rating (1st attempt) - 52
JT's 10 Ball Rating (2nd attempt) - 63
JT's 10 Ball Rating (3rd attempt) - 61

I will continue to work on it.

Ken

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
John,

I'm glad to hear you will participate. I look forward to seeing your score/rating (and videos if available).

I will add this to the list for future consideration; although, we don't want to increase the length of the exams very much (if at all). Drill F6 (ball pocketing) does test both sides of the table; but I agree with you that it would be helpful to also test both sides of the table on some of the other Exam I drills (except maybe for F2-F4 where reach can be a concern, which is why we encourage lefties to use the other side of the table).

Catch you later,
Dave

I wont post a video unless I can score higher than iusedtoberich, it's a personal thing :)

Right now no time and the pool table is currently cluttered with case stuff.

But after reading through everything I am highly impressed with what you have put together. Should provide a lot of data as well.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
I wont post a video unless I can score higher than iusedtoberich, it's a personal thing :)

Right now no time and the pool table is currently cluttered with case stuff.

But after reading through everything I am highly impressed with what you have put together. Should provide a lot of data as well.

Oh come on John. You know I didn't like posting the numbers I posted. But I will use it as motivation to pull my head out of my tail end next time I do it!

Step up man! ;)

Ken

p.s. How ya like my new to me table John?

TheOneGnat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't have time to do the Ten ball ghost drill, But I do have an average from ten racks from last month. I averaged a 51, and that is with spotting balls made on the break as per JT's drill from Guaranteed Improvement book.

If you could also reduce my Master's Exam score by 4 points. I looked back and realized that I scored the breaking drill incorrectly. I had added the lowest and the second lowest like the 8 and 9 ball drills. :embarrassed2:

Nat

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dr Dave,

My table at the throat measures 4 1/8".

I will redo my table dimension video at a later date to capture this dimension.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Oh come on John. You know I didn't like posting the numbers I posted. But I will use it as motivation to pull my head out of my tail end next time I do it!

Step up man! ;)

Ken

p.s. How ya like my new to me table John?

Your table looks great. I know you are very happy to have it. Your score is way too low for your skill level. I think you were a bit tense when doing the test.

I was just joking about iusedtoberich because he bet me I coudn't beat his version of the four ball ghost and now it would be embarassing to come in under his score. But you know I have never had a problem embarassing myself on video before.

Okie

Seeker
Silver Member
Your table looks great. I know you are very happy to have it. Your score is way too low for your skill level. I think you were a bit tense when doing the test.

I was just joking about iusedtoberich because he bet me I coudn't beat his version of the four ball ghost and now it would be embarassing to come in under his score. But you know I have never had a problem embarassing myself on video before.

I think my lifestyle is slowing me down. Lack of sleep makes a man crazy! lol

Seriously though...was the first time I have tried 8 of the 10 drills. Probably would have been best to give them a go beforehand. I looked back at one of the 8 ball runs I trapped myself on and I chose a bad path from the start. I just kept putting it off until I just had to do it and be done with it. lol

Hopefully, I will improve upon it! :)

You will be much higher than 100. So iusedtoberich will still be usedtobe. :)

Ken

p.s. just funning with ya iusedtoberich! :p

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I finally finished a couple of videos for this. I am pretty disappointed with the results but that's the way it goes. :eek:

Table dimensions - http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2428961
Exam 1 - http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2435143
Exam 2 - http://www.justin.tv/0kie/c/2455141

Exam 1 - 57
Exam 2 - 45

I will continue to work on it.

Ken
Thank you for participating. Please consider also doing the 10-ball ghost drill. And if you take the exams again in the future, please post your new results so we can see how much you can improve with more practice.

Here's what we have so far:

List of AZB'ers who have taken the BU playing-ability exams so far (in ranked order):

BU score -- Username -- BU Rating, 10-ball ghost rating -- table: size, corner pocket mouth, throat, shelf -- Video links (if available):
159 -- Gerry Williams -- adv-3 (A+/A), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Setup, Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
156 -- Gerry Williams -- adv-3 (A+/A), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Setup, Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II
149 -- scottjen26 -- adv-3 (A+/A), 64 (A+) -- table 9', 4 1/2", 3 7/8", 1 1/2" -- Exam I (part 1, part 2), Exam II
141 -- 12squared (Dave Gross) -- adv-3 (A+/A); no 10-ball ghost score yet -- table: 9', 4 7/8", 4 1/8", 1 1/2" -- no videos (see AZB post)
141 -- Neil -- adv-3 (A+/A); 60 (A) -- table: 7', 4 1/8", 3 1/2", 1 3/8" -- Exam (part 1, part 2), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
135 -- dr_dave -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 54 (B+) -- table: 8', 4 3/4", 4 1/8", 1 3/8" -- Exam I, Exam II
132 -- Gerry Williams -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 73 (Pro) -- table: 9', 4 1/2", 4", 1 7/8" -- Table Setup, Exam I, Exam II (part 1, part 2)
132 -- BRussell -- adv-2 (A-/B+), 51 (B+) -- table: 8', 5", 4 1/4", 1 1/2" -- Exam I, Exam II
125 -- TheOneGnat -- adv-2 (A-/B+), no 10-ball ghost score yet -- table: 8', 4 1/2 in, 4 in, 1 5/8 in -- no videos (see AZB post)
124 -- JC -- adv-1 (B/B-), 42 (C+) -- table: 9', 4 7/16", 3 7/8", 1 3/8" -- Table Specs, Exam 1, Exam 2
117 -- RobMan -- adv-1 (B/B-), 46 (B) -- table: 9', 5", no throat yet, 1" -- no videos (see AZB post)
112 -- RobMan -- adv-1 (B/B-), 46 (B) -- table: 9', 5", no throat yet, 1" -- no videos (see AZB post)
108 -- row21097 -- int-3 (B-/C+), no 10-ball ghost score yet -- table: 9', 4 1/2”, 4”, 1 1/2” -- Table Setup, Exam I (part 1, part 2, part 3), Exam II (part 1, part 2, part 3)
102 -- Okie -- int-3 (B-/C+), no 10-ball ghost score yet -- table: 9', 4 3/4", 4", 1 1/2" -- Table Measurements, Exam I, Exam II
87 -- iusedtoberich -- int-2 (C+/C), 38 (C) -- table: 9', 5 1/8", not throat yet, 1 1/2" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II
78 -- iusedtoberich -- int-2 (C+/C), 38 (C) -- table: 9', 5 1/8", not throat yet, 1 1/2" -- Table Specs, Exam I, Exam II
77 -- SeanChamp -- int-2 (C+/C), no 10-ball ghost score yet -- table: 8, 4 1/2", no throat yet, 1" -- no videos (see AZB post)

Here are the details and scores for all official BU graduates.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
... after reading through everything I am highly impressed with what you have put together.
Thanks John!

Should provide a lot of data as well.
Does that mean you plan to test other people in addition to yourself? If that is the case, you should consider becoming a BU instructor so you can potentially profit from your involvement. If you or others are interested, see the BU Instructor How-To Guide.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't have time to do the Ten ball ghost drill, But I do have an average from ten racks from last month. I averaged a 51, and that is with spotting balls made on the break as per JT's drill from Guaranteed Improvement book.

If you could also reduce my Master's Exam score by 4 points. I looked back and realized that I scored the breaking drill incorrectly. I had added the lowest and the second lowest like the 8 and 9 ball drills. :embarrassed2:
Thanks for the updates.

Dave

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Thanks John!

Does that mean you plan to test other people in addition to yourself? If that is the case, you should consider becoming a BU instructor so you can potentially profit from your involvement. If you or others are interested, see the BU Instructor How-To Guide.

Regards,
Dave

No I meant you should have a lot of data if people do this. Later it can be compared with years playing, methods used, mentoring/coaching or lack of such.