Billiards in the Olympics instead of

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the love of God or whatever deity replace at the very least archery.

It's not exiting but falls very well into the Olympic history of being events suited to military skills. I would accept archery and shooting as normal Olympic sports before billiards or skateboarding or basketball, or many other events.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im thinking they would put snooker in the Olympics before pool? could you imagine if earl or some of the others participating? these guys embarrass themselves in the mosconi cup,tar matches,regular tourneys lol

There should be a cue sports category not just pool. Snooker, 3 Cushion and probably 8 ball represented, maybe 9 ball or 10 ball but I would pick 8 ball as the everyman game to represent pool.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If pool gets added, might as well include chess and video gaming too.
It should be noted all of these are games, not sports, and don’t qualify.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
If pool gets added, might as well include chess and video gaming too.
It should be noted all of these are games, not sports, and don’t qualify.
While I agree, we should also consider that the majority of events are not sports as well. Nearly all track and field events are just that (events) and have zero direct competiton to opponents. In fact the only one that may be considered a sport is long distance running where you can cut off others and draft. Gymnastics is the same, and you don't even need to dig into the fringe events like 'dancing with ribbons'...lol

The Olympics is about contests not competitive sports.

chenjy9

Both ping pong and feather ball require waaaay more physical exertion than billiards has ever had. Why exactly should billiards replace them?

chenjy9

While I agree, we should also consider that the majority of events are not sports as well. Nearly all track and field events are just that (events) and have zero direct competiton to opponents. In fact the only one that may be considered a sport is long distance running where you can cut off others and draft. Gymnastics is the same, and you don't even need to dig into the fringe events like 'dancing with ribbons'...lol

Neither actually...

“Olympism is a philosophy of life, exalting and combining in a balanced whole the qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism seeks to create a way of life..." (Olympic Charter – Fundamental Principle 1)

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Neither actually...

“Olympism is a philosophy of life, exalting and combining in a balanced whole the qualities of body, will and mind. Blending sport with culture and education, Olympism seeks to create a way of life..." (Olympic Charter – Fundamental Principle 1)
Well that was a bunch of hot air...lol. Interesting none the less.

I think my assessment is still accurate enough. ;)

chenjy9

Well that was a bunch of hot air...lol. Interesting none the less.

I think my assessment is still accurate enough. ;)

I would say that my personal opinion aligns with yours. Olympics would be a lot more interesting if track runners can chase each other down, more so if we included cheetahs/lions/sharks.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Beg to differ……contest is a common denominator for any game or sport.
However, the degree of athleticism is what differentiates & qualifies for inclusion.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Beg to differ……contest is a common denominator for any game or sport.
However, the degree of athleticism is what differentiates & qualifies for inclusion.
Sure if you want...

"contest" : an event in which people compete for supremacy in a sport, activity, or particular quality

I don't consider contests wherein the opponents don't directly interact as "sports". Athleticism doesn't change the rules of the contest. Just your ability to perform at it. The bulk of what you see in the Olympics may be contests, but not necessarily "sports". IMHO

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure if you want...

"contest" : an event in which people compete for supremacy in a sport, activity, or particular quality

I don't consider contests wherein the opponents don't directly interact as "sports". Athleticism doesn't change the rules of the contest. Just your ability to perform at it. The bulk of what you see in the Olympics may be contests, but not necessarily "sports". IMHO
So how about skiing or ice skating where the opponents don’t interact but gosh, how much more athleticism can
there be than in singles competition for both sports……just you versus the mountain or the ice……no opponent.
There is zero direct interaction of opponents with the aforementioned but both are indisputably actual real sports.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
NBC news tonight reported that competitive video gaming is being considered for Olympic competition.

I now am sure that it’s true. I HAVE lived too long!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok heres a couple of sports in the olympics that I think billiards should replace. Badminton, water polo, and synchronized swimming. puleeez.

PGHteacher<---- Would be willing to bet he could find a Sync swimmer that feels the same way about cue sports and knows nothing about them.😄
Yes, coming into a pool forum and making the declaration that pool is more worthy than another sport is some pretty low hanging fruit.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can someone dig up the 400 other threads on this topic and post the links here????

And save all of us lots of time………

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guarantee'd U.S. Gold's: meth cooking, texting, artistic road-rage, team butt-hurt whining and binge-watching. Look for these and probably others in the O's soon. ;)

cue fix

Will "MONSOON" & SEARING!
Silver Member
I think the only way it would make the Olympics is in the Bonus Ball format.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
im thinking they would put snooker in the Olympics before pool? could you imagine if earl or some of the others participating? these guys embarrass themselves in the mosconi cup,tar matches,regular tourneys lol
Earl played in the World Games if memory serves me right.