Billy Thorpe conceded with 7 balls left.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I lost 2/3 of my salary for a mistake and I was a golfer, or tennis player, or any other of the thousands of world class performers who get paid what they're worth, I'd open up a beer and get ready for next week.

Pay is upon the difficulty of the sport pool ranks low so pay is low ,,

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It feels great to shoot 7 balls in on a wide-open table, it gets you in stroke, and it gives you a chance to get a feel for the speed, rails, throw on the balls, etc. By conceding you're taking all that away from your opponent.

IMO there should be a rule that it's unsportsmanlike conduct and loss of the next game too.
How is that unsportsmanlike? If anything it's complimentary to your opponent to not let him shoot based on your belief he won't miss.
I wish all my opponents had that faith in my game and conceded. Would of made me alot more money.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Shit happens when you are frustrated. Who can say they have always made the correct decision, and have never made a bad one when they were a little upset. NONE is my guess.

It was his entry fee, and his game. If he wanted to concede after the first rack that is his business. I saw Ronnie O. concede a snooker match, not just a game but the entire match, to Hendry early on. I really don't see the horror of it all.

Ronnie O'Sullivan's fine for that concession exceeded first prize in many tournaments over here...
...and rightfully so.

Any time there is added money, paid admission, calcutta, etc.....
...a player has no right to concede ANY ball.....
...when you're gambling and betting your own money...then you can do what you want.

How is that unsportsmanlike? If anything it's complimentary to your opponent to not let him shoot based on your belief he won't miss.
I wish all my opponents had that faith in my game and conceded. Would of made me alot more money.
Just in case you missed this opinion...does it hold water?

Ekojasiloop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People concede because they are tired of waiting, not because they're altruists.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
People concede because they are tired of waiting, not because they're altruists.

The day we all become mind readers and know the answer to all of what and why people do what they do, then we can pin point exactly why he did it. For now it's just opinions, not fact.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just in case you missed this opinion...does it hold water?

I think when a player enters an event, he or she can do whatever they like within the rules. If buyers lose money in the Calcutta, oh well it's called gambling. I've lost bets on matches not based on a guy quitting but he took the wrong shot, got bad shape and lost.Can I criticize that too? I think we look for things really not there. He conceded and yes it holds water, he did nothing wrong or unsportsmanlike imo.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Do it every day. you make a big enough mistake, and you can toss your year end BONUS right out the window. And we are not talking about an offense that would get you fired, but the stupid ones where you shake your head and say why?

That will cost you about 25% of your salary at the end of the year. just saying.

I will lose my job for making a single mistake - not a bonus, not a weeks pay, My job
Jason

GoldenFlash

Banned
I think when a player enters an event, he or she can do whatever they like within the rules. If buyers lose money in the Calcutta, oh well it's called gambling. I've lost bets on matches not based on a guy quitting but he took the wrong shot, got bad shape and lost.Can I criticize that too? I think we look for things really not there. He conceded and yes it holds water, he did nothing wrong or unsportsmanlike imo.
Bettors who're gambling on matches in a pool room have no leeway to whine. They're doing something that is illegal in most states anyway. They're lucky they don't end up in jail...with all their money taken "for evidence". (But that is another story.)
The lesson to be learned is NOT to bet on that particular horse again. That horse may decide to not finish the race.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I just read all 6 pages of this thread and can't believe I still don't have the answer.

Is Eric Molehill a Morman, or not? :confused:

best,
brian kc

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I just read all 6 pages of this thread and can't believe I still don't have the answer.

Is Eric Molehill a Morman, or not? :confused:

best,
brian kc

Brian, it's your fault for Eric's passionate enthusiasm of his home state...
..you created a thread years ago calling Ohio the epicenter of pool....
...and he's been O-high-o ever since.

Reap what you sow

sgonzalez34

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's all fine and well, eric moreman, but i think you left one big question unanswered: where do you play and how many days a week and if it's just one day, what day is it?

That was the funniest post I've ever read. Thanks for making me laugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
it depends, if i know the person and am friends with them and know they wont care then i may concede an easy rack.

but, regardless to me its kind of selfish to concede a rack to your opponent in a high pressure environment.

those pressure moments are what make you a better player, so its kind of like not allowing your opponent the opportunity to make that clearance and get confidence and ultimately improve.

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of funny comments on here. I watched the match, and saw the game. (I had no sound but could see the concession) Conceding a hill\hill match with 7 balls on the table is absolutely incredible to me. I do not care how good my opponent is, I'm watching that run out. Anything can happen.

Perhaps he was mad about not cleaning up. Perhaps he knew the other guy was out. Probably both true thoughts...but watch to see.

I am guessing Billy is kicking himself for that heat of the moment decision. I bet he does not do it again....

As for unsportsmanlike behaivor comments? No way. That was a concession of the match. No sharking, no bad behavior, just not a smart move imo...end of story.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lots of funny comments on here. I watched the match, and saw the game. (I had no sound but could see the concession) Conceding a hill\hill match with 7 balls on the table is absolutely incredible to me. I do not care how good my opponent is, I'm watching that run out. Anything can happen.

Perhaps he was mad about not cleaning up. Perhaps he knew the other guy was out. Probably both true thoughts...but watch to see.

I am guessing Billy is kicking himself for that heat of the moment decision. I bet he does not do it again....

As for unsportsmanlike behaivor comments? No way. That was a concession of the match. No sharking, no bad behavior, just not a smart move imo...end of story.

He raked 7 balls again in a semi final match vs Gomez, but the score was 5-3. Then when Gomez was on the hill at 6-4 he made Gomez shoot in the 8ball to win the match.

puma122

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He raked 7 balls again in a semi final match vs Gomez, but the score was 5-3. Then when Gomez was on the hill at 6-4 he made Gomez shoot in the 8ball to win the match.

Looks like I guessed wrong about time to reflect on that rake...and not doing again. Pretty crazy.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Gomez vs Rodney Morris match right before the semis, they were conceding the 8 ball at the beginning. Deeper into the match, Rodney had a routine cut on the 8ball into the corner pocket and he missed!

Sometimes it could be rewarding to wait that extra 15 seconds for your opponent to shoot!.