Billy Thorpe gone wild!

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This post pertains to American pool only.

A generally well-reasoned post, JUSTNUM, but I think there are those who are very serious about their demeanor and how they present themselves. I'll offer Chris Robinson as a good example. Although this wasn't always so, I also like the way Justin Bergman conducts and presents himself. These are two of the more visible American players.

Ultimately, the players must police themselves, and they won't do so until they all buy in to the need for exhibiting greater professionalism. Legend has it that New York Yankee legend Joe DiMaggio leaned hard on teammates he felt fell short in either work ethic or demeanor. Arnold Palmer is reputed to have played a role in encouraging his fellow pro golfers to project the kind of image that he knew would make his sport more marketable. As we're talking about the 1940's and 1950's here, it's not anything I remember, but when the most visible stars in any sport take it upon themselves to improve the way their fellow pros conduct themselves, it makes a big difference.

Unfortunately, pool's greatest and most visible stars have never taken it upon themselves to raise the image and level of professionalism in their sport. Imagine what an impact it would have had if SVB, the face of American pool for over a decade, were to loudly and publicly rebuke Billy Thorpe's objectionable outburst, while simultaneously requesting in earnest that his fellow American pros steer clear of such objectionable behavior. Personally, I think his fellow pro s would follow his lead.

Of course, the evidence continues to mount that the pros are happy to maintain the status quo, which will force them to continue scraping out a modest living for the imaginable future. I, for one, believe they can do much better, but first they have to want it enough. Their actions suggest they don't want it enough quite yet.

This was an after hours money match. The stories of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Michael Jordan gambling on the golf course and their actions had zero effect on their professional status. The fact the Michael Jordan is a huge racist is always overlooked.

To say that players need to police themselves is pants on head stupid. The tournament directors that allowed Earl to start this behavior and have it feed down are the ones to blame. Not the players. Unscrupulous people in charge being afraid to enforce rules has become pathetic.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
This was an after hours money match. The stories of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Michael Jordan gambling on the golf course and their actions had zero effect on their professional status. The fact the Michael Jordan is a huge racist is always overlooked.

To say that players need to police themselves is pants on head stupid. The tournament directors that allowed Earl to start this behavior and have it feed down are the ones to blame. Not the players. Unscrupulous people in charge being afraid to enforce rules has become pathetic.
I actually don't think I've heard or read of anyone saying that the after hours gambling was of any concern. Micheal Jordan's image was under fire during his heavy gambling years for that very reason. He probably gambled less then most pool players do. He just made big bets because he had the cash to burn....lol

Blaming other people for your own actions is ridiculous. Well that TD let Earl bitch at someone do it 30yrs ago so that means I can jump Robb if I don't like the rack he gave me.... ....really?

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
This is why I always play rack your own now when gambling. For 9-ball, you just play that the 9-ball doesn't count in the bottom two corners. I also prefer cue ball fouls only. Anything to try to eliminate fighting over the match. Billy was losing 7-0 at $200 a game. So yeah, he blew up probably in an attempt to stop the bleeding. On paper, Billy figures to be the favorite. But the game isn't played "on paper".

Any professional with sponsors should know that you can't act like that. As mentioned already, it was bad enough that Billy got physical with Rob, but the language that Billy used in today's PC world, would get most people dumped by their sponsors.

Obviously as pool players, we've all heard much worse. But that doesn't matter in today's world. I think that the MC could easily "forgive" Billy's behavior, especially IF they want to market some players as "bad boys". They could even run the video and "bleep" out the non-PC words. But I'm guessing that the MC won't want to "go there". The assumption is that the MC wants to market pool like snooker. The clean-cut professional route. But if they decide to allow "bad boys", then they've got their material.

In Billy's last match in the tournament today, he basically gave up the match at hill-hill when Billy didn't hit the 1 ball and fouled, giving his opponent ball in hand. Billy has a temper. His opponent was only about 70% to make the 1, 9 combo for the match. I would have made him shoot it all day long. But Billy's temper got the best of him again. He's a poor sport.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
This is why I always play rack your own now when gambling. For 9-ball, you just play that the 9-ball doesn't count in the bottom two corners. I also prefer cue ball fouls only. Anything to try to eliminate fighting over the match. Billy was losing 7-0 at $200 a game. So yeah, he blew up probably in an attempt to stop the bleeding. On paper, Billy figures to be the favorite. But the game isn't played "on paper".

Any professional with sponsors should know that you can't act like that. As mentioned already, it was bad enough that Billy got physical with Rob, but the language that Billy used in today's PC world, would get most people dumped by their sponsors.

Obviously as pool players, we've all heard much worse. But that doesn't matter in today's world. I think that the MC could easily "forgive" Billy's behavior, especially IF they want to market some players as "bad boys". They could even run the video and "bleep" out the non-PC words. But I'm guessing that the MC won't want to "go there". The assumption is that the MC wants to market pool like snooker. The clean-cut professional route. But if they decide to allow "bad boys", then they've got their material.

In Billy's last match in the tournament today, he basically gave up the match at hill-hill when Billy didn't hit the 1 ball and fouled, giving his opponent ball in hand. Billy has a temper. His opponent was only about 70% to make the 1, 9 combo for the match. I would have made him shoot it all day long. But Billy's temper got the best of him again. He's a poor sport.

Poor sport, fighting over the rack on pool is like boxing during a hockey match. Its tradition. How Billy fought is a poor choice. He should've tried a Mika and just spent an hour reracking.

CaleAYS

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That leaves hardly anyone left I can think who would do it and who the players would respect enough to listen to, if not their MC captain Jeremy Jones. Perhaps Johnny Archer?
Johnny was there in the room and actually gets involved shortly after the video cuts off.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
. The tournament directors that allowed Earl to start this behavior and have it feed down are the ones to blame. Not the players. Unscrupulous people in charge being afraid to enforce rules has become pathetic.
I think we're in agreement on this. There's no denying that failure to enforce rules in the past has contributed greatly to American pool's lack of self-respect. Today, however, any time a pro plays in a poolroom, his conduct is on full display. If they get out of line, people will know, and if the players don't care, I guess that's their prerogative, but they ought to care about the image of their sport if they want to see their sport grow and make more money.

Finally, using the fact that their American predecessors failed over and over in presenting pool as well as they might have is hardly an excuse for ambivalence in the present. Matchroom's appetite for additional investment in American pool can disappear in a flash if they conclude that their vision for the sport is unattainable. America's most visible players, especially young ones like Billy Thorpe with a whole lot of years of competing ahead of them, need to support, rather than obstruct, Matchroom's efforts.

justnum

Silver Member
I think we're in agreement on this. There's no denying that failure to enforce rules in the past has contributed greatly to American pool's lack of self-respect. Today, however, any time a pro plays in a poolroom, his conduct is on full display. If they get out of line, people will know, and if the players don't care, I guess that's their prerogative, but they ought to care about the image of their sport if they want to see their sport grow and make more money.

Finally, using the fact that their American predecessors failed over and over in presenting pool as well as they might have is hardly an excuse for ambivalence in the present. Matchroom's appetite for additional investment in American pool can disappear in a flash if they conclude that their vision for the sport is unattainable. America's most visible players, especially young ones like Billy Thorpe with a whole lot of years of competing ahead of them, need to support, rather than obstruct, Matchroom's efforts.

Helping someone mature is not a magic spell. It takes someone willing to put the time with them and show them the difference between right and wrong. American predecessors know which way to go, but the how to get there is not known.

Billy should start a how to manage your emotions at the pool table series.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually don't think I've heard or read of anyone saying that the after hours gambling was of any concern. Micheal Jordan's image was under fire during his heavy gambling years for that very reason. He probably gambled less then most pool players do. He just made big bets because he had the cash to burn....lol

Blaming other people for your own actions is ridiculous. Well that TD let Earl bitch at someone do it 30yrs ago so that means I can jump Robb if I don't like the rack he gave me.... ....really?

So you don’t want to address the fact that MJ is a racist?

But you proved that no one gives a flying fuck about gambling in the big times, so why is Billy being held under a microscope? And yes, people’s failures 30 years ago in containing the train wreck of Earl has led to quite a few issues regarding sportsmanship. I mean fuck, the APA doesn’t even include rules for proper racking. And that’s one of my biggest issues of late. So yes, people 30 years ago need to be held accountable for their lack of ethics, as it has stained the sport for the last 30 years. Did people in the 80’s cheat as much as people do now? No, they got their fucking cheating asses beat.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
So you don’t want to address the fact that MJ is a racist?
I didn't address you claim about Micheal because as far as I know it's irrelevant to Billy attacking Robb. But if you need me to make a comment regarding your claim. I don't recall Jordan being caught on tape using racist remarks. I also think the fact that Billy/Robb were gambling is irrelevant.
But you proved that no one gives a flying fuck about gambling in the big times, so why is Billy being held under a microscope?
I believe he isn't for gambling... Am I wrong....? So far I have yet to read someone complain about the gambling.
And yes, people’s failures 30 years ago in containing the train wreck of Earl has led to quite a few issues regarding sportsmanship.
Convenient excuse.... If I catch my kids ditching class should I not reprimand them because I also did on occassion?

Last edited:

JessEm

AzB Goldmember
Silver Member
I'm not reading all 8 pages. I seen the comments in the video.

This isn't some kind of indictment of pool.

Indictment of over-reactive people in the age of camera phones, maybe.

No different than the trenches, and locker room, of any other sport. Especially pros.

Do their heads get big? Yes. Are their egos fragile? Also yes.

Last edited:

DTL

SP 219
Silver Member
Need to move away from “racking “ games.
Chinese 8-Ball w/rack template could be the answer.

Or, perhaps start an American Snooker Tour - have Diamond or Brunswick make a 5X10 playing surface table, use 2.25” pool balls, and with an equivalent rounded pocket to snooker specks for tightness. The game is easy for the general public to understand. Works for Europe and Far East.

Then there’s straight pool.

Last edited:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't address you claim about Micheal because as far as I know it's irrelevant to Billy attacking Robb. But if you need me to make a comment regarding your claim. I don't recall Jordan being caught on tape using racist remarks. I also think the fact that Billy/Robb were gambling is irrelevant.

I believe he isn't for gambling... Am I wrong....? So far I have yet to read someone complain about the gambling.

Convenient excuse.... If I catch my kids ditching class should I not reprimand them because I also did on occassion?
The difference is bigger than that. It’s not just your kids would be ditching. They’d be dropping out completely. We’re at a point where the average sportsmanship in pool is the lowest it’s ever been. And it only gets that way because the tournament payout is such shit that these gambling matches become more important to the players than the tourney.

justnum

Silver Member
DrDave already did a video about pool etiquette.

skip to 6:14
can someone send the link to Billy Thorpe

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMHO all you matchroom "image consultants" have no idea what you're talking about. Don't you have your own business to mind somewhere else? Billy is a good kid from a good family...it's late night gambling at the poolhall for god's sake...you guys would try to sanitize a turd before it splashes in the bowl if you could.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That where the town bully got capped and no one saw a thing?? 'City Confidential'(great A&E series btw) covered that.
That's the most high profile thing but not the only thing. His biggest mistake was hiring a slick lawyer who convinced a judge to release him on bond. He would have been safer in jail.