bj ussery

dumisin

What a disgraceful performance by BJ in the finals of Maryland state 2021 bar box championship against Shaun Wilkie and we wonder why pool can't make it on main sports media outlets

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wilkie is a strong player. Not sure what happened but many players have lost to Wilkie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the match:

Don't know what happened.
I just watched the match. BJ got very frustrated early in the match, then just conceded Shaun each of the last 4 games with still a number of balls left on the table in each rack, including after what appeared to be intentionally launching the cue ball off the table for the 2nd break in a row - alternate breaks.

I agree with the OP - a disgraceful performance by BJ in regards to not handling his emotions, although he did at least appear to keep his mouth shut, unlike Earl does when he gets rattled.

This is certainly not the first time this has happened with BJ - he has a reputation of being a poor loser.

Last edited:

dhansen

I love that the commentator had this take:

“I get it’s pool, but these guys are men, there is testosterone, they don’t like to perform badly”

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He passed on banking his 10 ball in rack 3.
Was lucky Shaun missed it.
Then he dogged a pretty easy 10.

Down 3-0 he basically gave up.

He's playing a much better player. Don't see any advantage to getting upset.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He passed on banking his 10 ball in rack 3.
Was lucky Shaun missed it.
Then he dogged a pretty easy 10.

Down 3-0 he basically gave up.

He's playing a much better player. Don't see any advantage to getting upset.
Not according to Fargo Ratings:

BJ: 746
Wilkie: 745

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where was the stream/announcers booth in relation to the table?

I could understand a real annoyance building if all the side play/conversations with the kids became distracting…

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It sounds like B.J. was more angry at himself than at Shaun Wilkie.

Non-ranking tournaments such as this should be fun. Nobody wants to lose. I remember years ago when one player lost a match and took his head and banged it on the corner of the table hard, so hard it drew blood, because he was so disappointed. Some people take it more seriously than others, I guess.

The comment by the commentator about the testosterone is probably on point. There are some rivalries and feuds that exist. I'm out of the loop on which players have a beef with the other, but I know a couple players who are not on my birthday cake list because of the way they act when in competition.

As an aside, I remember years ago that B.J. would drive to various homes and pick up players who didn't have a car and take them to the pool tournaments so they could shoot in it and have some fun. He was working a full-time job at the time and played in pool tournaments almost every weekend on the East Coast, wherever there was one.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what a whole bag of nothing. worth a thread, really? the guy rakes the balls in some non-ranking barbox tournament. almost everyone has been in that situation, frustated with himself or "the rolls", conceded games. to me this says nothing about mr ussery other than that he was frustated that day

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where was the stream/announcers booth in relation to the table?

I could understand a real annoyance building if all the side play/conversations with the kids became distracting…
Yes, very unprofessional livestream to have his young kids interrupting the commentating for virtually the entire final match. As bad as the match was, it didn’t really matter.

Why does it matter whether you show your ass because you’re mad at yourself or you’re mad at your opponent? Either way, it’s not cool in my opinion, particularly for a live stream match.