Black crown table and dyson jet focus hot/cool heater

kid

billiard mechanic
Silver Member
The slate's framing is actually glued to it. Staples is how i do. Oh and you should never shim on the wood block btw. You want your wedge to sit on the frame

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I know that I will never own a table with particle board again. If you ever need to remove one of the pieces made from particle board you will most likely never be able to use the same screw holes again. The particle board also swells up with humidity, can be a real problem, especially if you have your table in a basement. The only place my GCI does not have real lumber is the center of the legs and the stretcher between the legs which are plywood but they still look like new after almost 50 years, Im sure it will last another 50 years easily. I think a used Gold Crown would be a better deal than a new particle board table.

Brags

Banned
RKC is right about the aprons made out of particle board. But that doesn't affect playability at all. Cheaply built? No. They are pretty tough

RKC doesn't know what he's talking about...and apparently he can't read specs either. This is from Canada Billiards website:

"Laminated covered hardwood rails. Burn, stain, and scratch resistant. Rails are widely supported by and bolted through the slate with threaded rods, mushroom lock washers and nuts. Wide adjustable flat nut plates allow rails to be precisely positioned and pulled down permanently to the slate, so as to provide a truer rebound."

Had to install one for a border battle 15 years ago and the american team called to say it was one of the best table they played on... but what do they know

Black Crown tables play like Diamond tables...but look better imo.

Truth of the matter, the only reason brags even started this thread was to try and promote sales of the Black Crown tables.

So now that the facts have proven you don't know what you are talking about you want to try to change the subject? Look at my original post...am I also promoting Dyson Hot Cool Jet focus heaters? Lol

The reason for my posting is actually to find what temperature I should keep the garage at.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
RKC doesn't know what he's talking about...and apparently he can't read specs either. This is from Canada Billiards website:

"Laminated covered hardwood rails. Burn, stain, and scratch resistant. Rails are widely supported by and bolted through the slate with threaded rods, mushroom lock washers and nuts. Wide adjustable flat nut plates allow rails to be precisely positioned and pulled down permanently to the slate, so as to provide a truer rebound."

Black Crown tables play like Diamond tables...but look better imo.

So now that the facts have proven you don't know what you are talking about you want to try to change the subject? Look at my original post...am I also promoting Dyson Hot Cool Jet focus heaters? Lol

The reason for my posting is actually to find what temperature I should keep the garage at.

Not trying to imply that you're dumb or anything like that, but HARDWOOD rails has nothing to do with the pressed wood "particle board" rail blinds/skirts. Kid also confirmed they were made out of PARTICLE BOARD as well....but hey, who knows....maybe he's not as smart as you are either....LMAO

realkingcobra

Silver Member
"The finest and most popular commercial table. The "Black Crown II" is selected and renowned as the best table in most major tournaments.

Most popular commercial pool table??? Most major tournaments??? And what my I ask ARE those MOST major tournaments? LOL And haven't you heard, all tables play like Diamonds....and Brunswick's.....and Olhausen's....because they all bounce the balls off the rails and have 6 pockets....LOL

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Just picked up a Black Crown 9 ball table today...will be going in my garage which is insulated and dry walled, but not heated. I bought a Dyson jet focus hot/cool heater to keep the room at a constant temperature...it works great...will easily do 6 meters by 6 meters according to the box. What temperature do you recommend keeping the room at? 15 degrees Celsius?
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...an-heater-black-iron-am09-black/10360622.aspx

This table plays like a diamond table but half the price ($5500 Can). It comes with Simonis 860 felt. I also like the way it looks...simple and has leg levelers.
http://canadabillard.com/black_crown_ii/p2018.aspx

Here it is in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6RnevvCYFs

I have to admit, with respect since I dont know you nor you me, this post reeks of an advertisement. I mean why post the price comparison, features and a nice advertising picture along with a video, not one you made mind you, of one of the worlds top players playing on the table? Not to mention the thread title mentions nothing about your concern for temperature. I would think your thread title should have been more along the lines of "What temp to keep garage with pool table" THEN in the thread discuss the equipment... Just an observation from a "normal" forum reader.

Just an FYI....Temperature is not as critical as humidity....

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have to admit, with respect since I dont know you nor you me, this post reeks of an advertisement. I mean why post the price comparison, features and a nice advertising picture along with a video, not one you made mind you, of one of the worlds top players playing on the table? Not to mention the thread title mentions nothing about your concern for temperature. I would think your thread title should have been more along the lines of "What temp to keep garage with pool table" THEN in the thread discuss the equipment... Just an observation from a "normal" forum reader.

Truer words were never spoken, if ya want to sell something it belongs in the for sale section. If you're concerned about a pool table in a garage I'm all in for helping out with advice. But don't come on here trying to secretly sell you pool tables by comparison to Diamond, sell them on their own merit. If you have a good product, they don't need to be compared to anyone else's product.

Brags

Banned
I don't typically waste my time on pool forums...they are as bad as pool leagues...full of mediocre players thinking they can play.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I think a 9ft diamond is close to 10k Canadian if you can find a distributor...honestly I never looked into it..I got this one for $4700 Can. The pockets conform to bca specifications...but I may tighten them up.
http://bca-pool.com/?page=54

You should have called Heath Manning of Manning Cues. He can get you a deal on a Diamond if you really were interested in it.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Lol!
http://www.pro-billard.com/blackcrown2en.htm

Just an observation from another member here. I can tell you that even though I have not always gotten along with or even agreed with RKC. I respect he is one of the most knowledgeable table mechanics in the country. It is my understanding that he played a big part in Diamond design as well. I am not saying he is the fastest mechanic out there. From what I understand he is a perfectionist and his work speed is reflected by this.

Before I bought my Diamond table I did a lot of research which included the brand of table you mentioned. I can tell you from experience Diamond Billiards makes without a doubt a fantastic product that is custom made to order. I have seen only one pro play the Black Crown table you mentioned however hundreds of professionals playing on Diamond Pro Am. I have yet to see any tournaments played on Black Crown tables.

It is for these reasons I believe sir that you are the one that needs to research and learn what you are saying. There are many professionals in the billiards industry that are members here.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
I don't typically waste my time on pool forums...they are as bad as pool leagues...full of mediocre players thinking they can play.

Well now that sounds like some true "blindness".... Tell ya what if you're ever in the Chicagoland area I'm sure a lot of those pool forum mediocre players will be happy to oblige so's not to waste any of your precious time ON the pool forums..:thumbup:

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
that table was common amongst my neck of the woods for a while and they play decent

they're also cheap plywood and particle board, made cheaply with massive margins by a company that makes things...well.....cheaply with massive margins

Brags

Banned
I play on a diamond table all the time...the Black crown plays very similar. It was a toss up between the two but in the end I prefer the Black crown...the way it looks...the way it plays...and of course the cost/availability.

Last edited:

Brags

Banned

If you really want me to plug a product then its the Dyson hot cool heater...garage is a balmy 20 degrees Celsius right now while it is -3 outside. This thing will keep the garage at 20 degrees (or whatever I set it to) all year long, warm in the winter...cool in the summer.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...an-heater-black-iron-am09-black/10360622.aspx

Don't even get me started on cues or cue tips...seriously what else am I going to come on here to talk about with you hacks? lol

Last edited:

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
If you really want me to plug a product then its the Dyson hot cool heater...garage is a balmy 20 degrees Celsius right now while it is -3 outside. This thing will keep the garage at 20 degrees (or whatever I set it to) all year long, warm in the winter...cool in the summer.

Don't even get me started on cues or cue tips...seriously what else am I going to come on here to talk about with you hacks? lol

As I mentioned at the end of the post you quoted... Humidity plays a bigger role than temperature. How are you dealing with that?

Id be happy to discuss cues and tips with you but I'm not sure what I could contribute that you don't OBVIOUSLY already know so I'll just sit back and learn something. Just let me know when class starts.