Bonus Ball Playoffs ******

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, the absolute most exciting event in all of pool is when a player puts up a big package like a five or six pack. While BB, 14.1, and one pocket may be great games, they do eliminate this possibility. I play all pool games myself, BB excluded, but as a fan and spectator, I'd rather see packages in rotation based games or 8 ball. I suspect that I'm not alone with this sentiment.

I watch the other games to learn and to improve my own game, but when it comes down to my spectating enjoyment, I do love those packages, sorry Bonus Ball.

Note: I don't think that 9 ball, 10 ball or even 8 ball are broken either. Nice sized packages happen with enough infrequency that they are special and memorable and exciting. All my opinion of course.

Thorsten had a 60-point run. A rack has 15 points, so that's about a 4-pack, while going in color sequence and using only three pockets. So there are packages in BB.

Cory

UPDATE: Here's a link to Thorsten's run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJdj6ABhG74#t=123m30s

8-and-out in one-pocket is pretty exciting, too.

Last edited:

kittykat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2014 is finally here and we are now talking Bonus Ball play-offs? They only had 9 games played of the first season! That is not a season! Ok Chiborak, you cut the payouts in half to finish up three games. Now your expecting everyone to believe you have the funds to have play-offs?

The game is fun to play, no doubt about that but to watch, it is pretty brutal. Nathan promised it would shake the billiard world...LOL. His production management has been pretty amateur at best. I remember it being a 10 minute game to 21 pts when I first played it at the US Open years ago! Why the 15 minutes per match plus many shoot-outs? They definitely took the fun and speed out of the game. My boyfriend and I still play the old version! It is way more fun. :thumbup:

Vlr

Registered
Hello AZB'ers,
While I am not an official league spokesperson, I work for the league, care about the league, and wanted to briefly explain the basic rules of our game. I've seen many here post they might give Bonus Ball a chance if they better knew the rules. So I will do my best to explain some rules and answer questions (pertaining to the rules only) as I want to help those who want to give it a try to watch and understand our game.
I will start with basic rules for now, as there aren't many. Then, I encourage you to go to our website and watch one of the matches and you'll see it unfold. I may check back here for more detailed questions. But it really was quick for me to pick up on.
I am doing this on my own, and I'm not speaking on behalf of the league, or about anything other than the rules. I just know some of you have said you might give this a try if you knew the rules and strategy, and we would love your support and attempts to learn our game! So here are a few things to get you started.

1. First player will break AND shoot with purple the first to shoot at.
(Any balls made on break respot)

2. The sequence is purple first (1 point), then orange (2), then the Bonus Ball (3) next. In our pro version (which is all I will go over for now), there are three white bordered pockets and three black. The team in white jerseys uses the white pockets, and the team in black the black. You will notice at the bottom of the screen the graphic with the team's name is bordered with the colored ball they are on. So to start each game, as an example, both teams names at the bottom of our screen are bordered in purple.

3. Each game is to 30 points and, if done within 15 minutes, that team receives 2 match points. Shutouts are worth 3, and if we go to a shoot out, a team can only get one point.

4. There is a 24 second shot clock as well, and if a shot isn't completed within, it is a foul.

Strategy: To me, some of the best shot making is when a player DOESN'T have an offensive shot, yet moves his object ball close to one of his pockets AND leaves his opponent with nothing offensive to shoot at as well. These guys are amazing at that!

Anyway, that is a start I hope. There are just a few more rules, and I will check back if you have RULES questions. We have certain shots come up that I explain during our matches as they happen, but if you have a question about them, I will be happy to do my best here to answer. I simply read this thread and realized we have a little more than a month until the playoffs, with some great matches unveiled every other day for people to watch, learn, and hopefully enjoy at our website. Happy holidays, and we would love your support!

www.wpbltv.com

Steve Strain
Voice of the WPBL

sunburn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Roger, I can't believe you are saying these things ???...Everyone who has ever played even ONE game of pool, knows the basics of 8 ball !..That would include any CEO of a hugh corperation, who may be willing to invest advertising $$$$, in some TV pool venture..

As I've said before, BB had some good concepts, and had they chosen a pro-version of 8 ball, they may have had a prayer, of getting it off the ground ! The inventor, (and his ego) wanted HIS game to shine..but, as all the 'smarts' saw from the git-go... it did not have a chance !..All he did, was alienate, and disrupt, what few good solid promoter's we had !..He may have set pool back 20 years !...Did we need that ???

I am not saying Bonus Ball could not be an enjoyable game, but ONLY for upper level players !..Comparing it with One Pocket, (a game also not suited for the masses),..is a joke !..The confusing rules, and the horrible way it was managed and presented, were a lesson in how NOT to approach something,(anything, for that matter)..A potential sponsor, would be bored to death with the nuances of the game, and would not give someone trying to promote it, 2 minutes of their time !

I consider you a friend, and I know you got caught up in BB at the outset..But, I'm asking you please...Give it up, and move on !!!..We've ALL made mistakes..(but few as bad as embracing Boner Ball.. LOL :wink:) You are better than that ! :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

Dick

LATE EDIT;...

Short answer Roger...NO !...Puhleeeeze let it go
!

I agree 100% with what you said.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello AZB'ers,
While I am not an official league spokesperson, I work for the league, care about the league, and wanted to briefly explain the basic rules of our game. I've seen many here post they might give Bonus Ball a chance if they better knew the rules. So I will do my best to explain some rules and answer questions (pertaining to the rules only) as I want to help those who want to give it a try to watch and understand our game.
I will start with basic rules for now, as there aren't many. Then, I encourage you to go to our website and watch one of the matches and you'll see it unfold. I may check back here for more detailed questions. But it really was quick for me to pick up on.
I am doing this on my own, and I'm not speaking on behalf of the league, or about anything other than the rules. I just know some of you have said you might give this a try if you knew the rules and strategy, and we would love your support and attempts to learn our game! So here are a few things to get you started.

2. The sequence is purple first (1 point), then orange (2), then the Bonus Ball (3) next. In our pro version (which is all I will go over for now), there are three white bordered pockets and three black. The team in white jerseys uses the white pockets, and the team in black the black. You will notice at the bottom of the screen the graphic with the team's name is bordered with the colored ball they are on. So to start each game, as an example, both teams names at the bottom of our screen are bordered in purple.

3. Each game is to 30 points and, if done within 15 minutes, that team receives 2 match points. Shutouts are worth 3, and if we go to a shoot out, a team can only get one point.

4. There is a 24 second shot clock as well, and if a shot isn't completed within, it is a foul.

Strategy: To me, some of the best shot making is when a player DOESN'T have an offensive shot, yet moves his object ball close to one of his pockets AND leaves his opponent with nothing offensive to shoot at as well. These guys are amazing at that!

Anyway, that is a start I hope. There are just a few more rules, and I will check back if you have RULES questions. We have certain shots come up that I explain during our matches as they happen, but if you have a question about them, I will be happy to do my best here to answer. I simply read this thread and realized we have a little more than a month until the playoffs, with some great matches unveiled every other day for people to watch, learn, and hopefully enjoy at our website. Happy holidays, and we would love your support!

www.wpbltv.com

Steve Strain
Voice of the WPBL

Why cant the people get refunded for buying the season pass?
When is the playoffs starting?
These are things we would like to know, and you should know.

Vlr

Registered

Look for the playoffs to begin very shortly after the Derby City. I don't know that I can reveal the specific dates yet. But they will be made public very soon. I'm sorry, but I have no dealings with the other matter. I simply wanted to help those here wanting to learn more about our game.

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look for the playoffs to begin very shortly after the Derby City. I don't know that I can reveal the specific dates yet. But they will be made public very soon. I'm sorry, but I have no dealings with the other matter. I simply wanted to help those here wanting to learn more about our game.

Well this has to do with your integrity. People don't care about the rules if they cant trust you with $100 that they paid to you for something that you cant give them.

Someone has to know, whether its Nathan, Dave , You or Larry. If you guys don't like the bad mouthing on Bonus Ball atleast make an effort to repay the customers that were screwed over. I mean they alk about millions this, hundreds of thousands in cameras, and they are straight robbing us poor folks for $100 for PPV.

Well played Bonus Ball.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bonus ball is the best and hardest game in the whole world there's a reason that hack shane van boring didnt play he probably wanted to but they said shane you ain't won a world title yet you aint good enuff to play our game i cant wait till playoffs start ill pay 1000 to watch it

pooladdict

no doubt about it
Silver Member
bonus ball is the best and hardest game in the whole world there's a reason that hack shane van boring didnt play he probably wanted to but they said shane you ain't won a world title yet you aint good enuff to play our game i cant wait till playoffs start ill pay 1000 to watch it

travis trotter, is that you? :grin-square:

newby

Registered

The playoffs start Feb. 5 and run until Feb. 15. There will be 2 games played on the 5th and 2 games on the 6th with 1 game each of the following nights. On the 14th there are no games being played and an announcement will come later in the month as to why. Yes any $ or product not received will and have been getting a refund. We are trying to take care of this issue and will continue to do so. Send your contact info with proof of your purchase to bob@wpbltv.com and I will check into it and correct all owed $. In the coming days announcements about the 6 pocket amateur game, the playoff schedule, additions to the web page and the intro to the amateur leagues will come. We are excited about 2014 and would hope to see as many of you attend the playoffs. Thank you and all the best to all pool players in 2014. Bob Ford

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
The playoffs start Feb. 5 and run until Feb. 15. There will be 2 games played on the 5th and 2 games on the 6th with 1 game each of the following nights. On the 14th there are no games being played and an announcement will come later in the month as to why. Yes any $ or product not received will and have been getting a refund. We are trying to take care of this issue and will continue to do so. Send your contact info with proof of your purchase to bob@wpbltv.com and I will check into it and correct all owed $. In the coming days announcements about the 6 pocket amateur game, the playoff schedule, additions to the web page and the intro to the amateur leagues will come. We are excited about 2014 and would hope to see as many of you attend the playoffs. Thank you and all the best to all pool players in 2014. Bob Ford

I was just about to post on here that I think the livestream refunds are an issue that does need to be addressed. Thank you, sir.

Roger

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Hello AZB'ers,

www.wpbltv.com

Steve Strain
Voice of the WPBL

Hi Steve,

Question for you @ rules. I've been a vocal advocate of some BB rules simplification. In conversing with Michaela at The Cup she stated there were some BB rule changes. Can you confirm and let us know what they may be?

Thanks,

Matt Thompson
Voice of the Blind Leading the Blind ;)

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member

Hi Bob, I don't believe I know you. I have not been paying much attention to Bonus Ball. Are you new wit them? what is your position with the WPBL? Are you the new point man that can assist people with BB issues? Please let us all know. thanks

Vlr

Registered
Hi Steve,

Question for you @ rules. I've been a vocal advocate of some BB rules simplification. In conversing with Michaela at The Cup she stated there were some BB rule changes. Can you confirm and let us know what they may be?

Thanks,

Matt Thompson
Voice of the Blind Leading the Blind ;)

Hello Matt,
What Michaela is referring to is on the re-break. Our re-break occurs when the bonus ball is the last ball on the table. The team shooting will then attempt to MAKE the bonus ball AND open the rack.
The change has come when the bonus ball is MISSED. It used to be that the oncoming team had the option of playing the table as it lied, or re-breaking. The change eliminates the option. If the bonus ball is missed, it's considered an illegal break, and the oncoming team simply re-breaks from behind the head string with a new rack.
Thanks for the question and your interest! The re-break also has different ramifications for using your own pocket or the opponent's when the bonus ball is MADE. I try to explain those differences when the situation arises in a match - which is much easier than getting into detail here. Again, I appreciate the question, and will be happy to answer others!

PINKLADY

ICNBB
Silver Member
The playoffs start Feb. 5 and run until Feb. 15. There will be 2 games played on the 5th and 2 games on the 6th with 1 game each of the following nights. On the 14th there are no games being played and an announcement will come later in the month as to why.....Bob Ford

you have 4 wks till D-Day.
- is everything locked?
- all players committed to showing up?
- all expenses & reservations completed?
- prepaid wages guaranteed?
- DATES CONCRETE????

i ask, cause we will be @ WMC (World Market Center - those 3 6Million sf buildings @ end of Strip) @ JAN 25-FEB 2. and we could EXTEND our trip to see BB. but we won't be SCREWED again, as last JUL trip. we need to plan.

as well
- NOV semi finals are being aired when?
- FEB finals are being aired when/if?
- is BB being sold overseas?
- are the current BB players out of a job after FEB 15...?

Last edited: