Bonus Ball Playoffs ******

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
I understand. It took me a very long time to fully appreciate the game of One-Pocket. For years, I thought it was the dumbest game ever invented, and this was while I was still playing it on occasion. But finally, the challenges of the game overtook me, and now I think it's the greatest pool game ever invented.

Bonus Ball is much like One-Pocket, in that respect. It's not the easiest game to warm up to, but serious players who play it for a while, generally start to appreciate the nuances of the game.

And as far as 8-Ball goes, yes, most people with the slightest urge to get on a pool table for the first time have probably seen that game played. But learning to play it the proper way, and by the correct set of rules, can be almost as tough to learn as any other pool game. So, just because a total new-comer can say, "Hey, I've seen that game played before!" doesn't really give it a huge head start over any other pool games that might be introduced to them.

Roger

As a quasi decent pool player, the analogy of learning and finally appreciating one pocket vs learning Bonus Ball - it hits home with me. (Btw, I did a live stream match of BB with Johnny, Gene Albrecht and Rhea - pat me on the back ;) )

I HATED learning one pocket. I'd look at the table and be so frustrated - WTF is a good play? One pocket makes Bonus Ball look easy.

IMO, Bonus Ball is a helluva game that blends more skills into it than ANY other.

sunburn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand. It took me a very long time to fully appreciate the game of One-Pocket. For years, I thought it was the dumbest game ever invented, and this was while I was still playing it on occasion. But finally, the challenges of the game overtook me, and now I think it's the greatest pool game ever invented.

Bonus Ball is much like One-Pocket, in that respect. It's not the easiest game to warm up to, but serious players who play it for a while, generally start to appreciate the nuances of the game.

And as far as 8-Ball goes, yes, most people with the slightest urge to get on a pool table for the first time have probably seen that game played. But learning to play it the proper way, and by the correct set of rules, can be almost as tough to learn as any other pool game. So, just because a total new-comer can say, "Hey, I've seen that game played before!" doesn't really give it a huge head start over any other pool games that might be introduced to them.

Roger

Name some of these serious players by age & location :D

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I beg to differ. Jimmy Wych is always harping on the fact that the push out after the break in 9-Ball should
be removed because it's to hard to understand for the average person. If this is true then Bonus Ball has no shot.
On the other hand 8-Ball is relatively easy to understand, especially sense a lot of people have at least
an idea of how it's played already.

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
Name some of these serious players by age & location :D

Kenny Cartman, age 9, Southpark Utah
Homer Simpson, age 43, in a city with a nuclear facility
Family Guy, age 39, google it

Why people make fun of Bonus Ball is beyond me :grin:

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
This is true. The kind of audience pool needs to attract to television are those who are not familiar with any of the games, including 8-ball. So why not a totally new game? Bonus Ball is as good a choice as any for that purpose.

Roger

Sorry Mr Long, although I respect your opinion on this one I have to disagree. As we all know there is a world of pool outside our little AZB purist fan base bubble. They play league an 8-ball. For the most part they have zero interest in anything other than 8-ball. They are the people who need to be targeted and let know about TOP PROS playing the game they play. They can easy relate to it and enjoy it. Learning a new game NOMATTER how good the purists think it is would be a non starter. JMO Hope all is well with you Roger.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member

Roger

I certainly understand your position. I will not say that bonus ball will never become successful, because never is a really looooonnnggg time. But it does have an extraordinarily tough row to hoe due to a steep fan learning curve, which would have been moderated by choosing a game with some familiarity.

For what its worth, I hope It does succeed, as it would promote cue sports generally, and I'm for whatever serves that goal. I just continue to feel that the current spectrum of games affords for interest aplenty. Having said that, maybe I could warm up to BB as you did with onepocket, you never can tell. But the game would have to proliferate before that will happen for me.

As far as displaying a diverse skill set, I continue to think that an all around formats that showcases a handful of cue disciplines it best. The DCC has that right IMO, as does certain TAR matches.

Last edited:

elizabeth9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Roger

Roger I fully agree!

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
A big % of pool players are blue collars and live from pay check to pay check and that's a proven fact. Large companies know this as they do there homework before sponsoring anything. There are many things wrong with pro pool, and just about all of them could be fixed, but that is the main one. No big sponsors.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AZers
Johnnyt

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kenny Cartman lol his name is Eric Cartman get the facts right hahahahaha

TimKrazyMon

Kid Delicious' Evil Twin
Silver Member

get it right:

Eric Cartman, from South Park, CO
Homer lives in Springfield
and Family Guy is just dumb.

Attachments

• its-my-brithday-and-ill-play-bonus-ball-if-i-want-to.jpg
    its-my-brithday-and-ill-play-bonus-ball-if-i-want-to.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 388

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
A big % of pool players are blue collars and live from pay check to pay check and that's a proven fact. Large companies know this as they do there homework before sponsoring anything. There are many things wrong with pro pool, and just about all of them could be fixed, but that is the main one. No big sponsors.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AZers
Johnnyt

The reason that they live paycheck to paycheck is because they are spending their money. They may not be out buying Mercedes', but they are spending. Some company(s) out there would like them to buy their products I'm sure. But how many events are even available to sponsor???

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Do you guys think it would have had a chance if the overall format was about the same, but they played 8 ball or 9 ball?

I believe so. Not saying that it would have been a hit but it wouldn't have been pretty much an instant bust like BB was.

Everyone in North America, whether it be bangers or league, play and know 8 Ball.

I think the team format worked ok. They had a beautiful arena. gave out free pop corn etc.

No one was interested in a new game. At the start, many of the players didn't know the rules 100%, let alone the viewing audience.

Even tho we were told that Az or the general pool playing population wasn't the target market, we at least cared enuff to go on a Safari to find out where the rules were posted and try and learn them.

Do you think that the general tv watchers are going to be flipping thru the channels, come across this new game and then make an effort to Google BB rules and then learn them.

For many pool players, it was a bit of an effort for even us to get them straight and it took several tries. We had to watch several nights to finally start getting the hang of the game.

This was one of the many and probably the biggest mistake made, trying to introduce
a new game.

One thing that I have never figured out, if the members of AZ and obviously pool players in general were never the intended target audience, then just who the heck was.

I flip flopped so many times on whether I liked the game or not but I stated that I was willing to give it a try.

When their Marketing Genius came on AZ to what it seemed like to continually talk down to us, it was then that I decided that I wouldn't like the game
no matter what.

They made a ton of Rookie mistakes but alienating the AZ membership was their biggest down fall. By the end, they had those who were wishing them well at the beginning to actually hoping that they would take a dump in the end. Or at least not caring.

I know, I was one of them.

This and talking snotty to other promoters. What were they thinking?

They just did so many things wrong when they could have stopped and thought for ten seconds and did it proper.

Last edited:

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
I believe so. Not saying that it would have been a hit but it wouldn't have been pretty much an instant bust like BB was.

Everyone in North America, whether it be bangers or league, play and know 8 Ball.

I think the team format worked ok. They had a beautiful arena. gave out free pop corn etc.

No one was interested in a new game. At the start, many of the players didn't know the rules 100%, let alone the viewing audience.

Even tho we were told that Az or the general pool playing population wasn't the target market, we at least cared enuff to go on a Safari to find out where the rules were posted and try and learn them.

Do you think that the general tv watchers are going to be flipping thru the channels, come across this new game and then make an effort to Google BB rules and then learn them.

For many pool players, it was a bit of an effort for even us to get them straight and it took several tries. We had to watch several nights to finally start getting the hang of the game.

This was one of the many and probably the biggest mistake made, trying to introduce
a new game.

One thing that I have never figured out, if the members of AZ and obviously pool players in general were never the intended target audience, then just who the heck was.

I flip flopped so many times on whether I liked the game or not but I stated that I was willing to give it a try.

When their Marketing Genius came on AZ to what it seemed like to continually talk down to us, it was then that I decided that I wouldn't like the game
no matter what.

They made a ton of Rookie mistakes but alienating the AZ membership was their biggest down fall. By the end, they had those who were wishing them well at the beginning to actually hoping that they would take a dump in the end. Or at least not caring.

They just did so many things wrong when they could have stopped and thought for ten seconds and did it proper.

I concur my friend.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
Sorry Mr Long, although I respect your opinion on this one I have to disagree. As we all know there is a world of pool outside our little AZB purist fan base bubble. They play league an 8-ball. For the most part they have zero interest in anything other than 8-ball. They are the people who need to be targeted and let know about TOP PROS playing the game they play. They can easy relate to it and enjoy it. Learning a new game NOMATTER how good the purists think it is would be a non starter. JMO Hope all is well with you Roger.

I respect your opinion, as well, Mark. I certainly agree that having the existing league 8-ball players tuning into TV broadcasts would be a great thing, but they still can't be our "target" audience. The task (as I see it, anyway) is for the industry to bring totally new people to the tubes. It shouldn't really make a difference to any of us what game is played on TV as long as an audience is drawn to it.

Have a safe and Happy New Year!

Roger

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand.
....... as far as 8-Ball goes, yes, most people with the slightest urge to get on a pool table for the first time have probably seen that game played. But learning to play it the proper way, and by the correct set of rules, can be almost as tough to learn as any other pool game. <--Wrong ! So, just because a total new-comer can say, "Hey, I've seen that game played before!" doesn't really give it a huge head start over any other pool games that might be introduced to them.<--Dead wrong Roger !
Roger

Roger, I can't believe you are saying these things ???...Everyone who has ever played even ONE game of pool, knows the basics of 8 ball !..That would include any CEO of a hugh corperation, who may be willing to invest advertising $$$$, in some TV pool venture..

As I've said before, BB had some good concepts, and had they chosen a pro-version of 8 ball, they may have had a prayer, of getting it off the ground ! The inventor, (and his ego) wanted HIS game to shine..but, as all the 'smarts' saw from the git-go... it did not have a chance !..All he did, was alienate, and disrupt, what few good solid promoter's we had !..He may have set pool back 20 years !...Did we need that ???

I am not saying Bonus Ball could not be an enjoyable game, but ONLY for upper level players !..Comparing it with One Pocket, (a game also not suited for the masses),..is a joke !..The confusing rules, and the horrible way it was managed and presented, were a lesson in how NOT to approach something,(anything, for that matter)..A potential sponsor, would be bored to death with the nuances of the game, and would not give someone trying to promote it, 2 minutes of their time !

I consider you a friend, and I know you got caught up in BB at the outset..But, I'm asking you please...Give it up, and move on !!!..We've ALL made mistakes..(but few as bad as embracing Boner Ball.. LOL :wink:) You are better than that ! :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

Dick

LATE EDIT;...
..I do wonder, however, if Bonus Ball might still have a chance to find its niche in the pool world if there was to be a restart under new directors?
Short answer Roger...NO !...Puhleeeeze let it go !

Last edited:

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member

a new game.

no matter what.

All very good points, Blue Hog ridr. I couldn't even begin to argue against a one of them. The game was ill-introduced. Many other mistakes were made, as well.

I do wonder, however, if Bonus Ball might still have a chance to find its niche in the pool world if there was to be a restart under new directors?

Roger

bfdlad

T-Wheels
Silver Member
I respect your opinion, as well, Mark. I certainly agree that having the existing league 8-ball players tuning into TV broadcasts would be a great thing, but they still can't be our "target" audience. The task (as I see it, anyway) is for the industry to bring totally new people to the tubes. It shouldn't really make a difference to any of us what game is played on TV as long as an audience is drawn to it.

Have a safe and Happy New Year!

Roger

Yeah, I agree that there is another target audience beyond the AZB crew a the avid League player but I still believe that they are the stating point an may be able to spread the word. Otherwise It like we would be skipping a major step in growth or a realistic step that needs to be taken. One step at a time and like some say word of mouth is the best advertising. This whole thing is a puzzle.