Bonus Ball Poll - Like it or hate it?

Do you like Bonus Ball?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Ok folks, Bonus Ball has finally debuted. I'm sure. as with every change from the traditional, there will be resistance. The question is: Do you like Bonus Ball or not?

I for one, embrace change when needed, but reject it when not. Change in pool is definitely needed. Pool must change to survive and prosper. The glory days of yesteryear are over. The hustler and road player have been replaced by the internet and video games.

I think the game has been well thought out, but will most likely have a few setbacks somewhere along the line as with most new ventures. If you do not like Bonus Ball, let us know why. Constructive criticism can only make Bonus Ball Better. I think it is important to remember that Bonus Ball is not going to replace one-pocket, nine-ball, or eight-ball. It is only offering an additional variation to the game.

So, are you going to embrace Bonus Ball and give it a chance?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'm going to wait till it really starts, so that I can give it a proper "chance", not just how the initial promo videos look.

That's not a knock.

It seems premature to ask whether anyone loves it or hates it, based on the promo material only. Once the matches really start, with the real teams, clocks, graphics, shirts, everything that the folks have told us are coming....then we might have a reasoned opinion.

Hoping it works out well.

BigDaddyInc.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched the promo match between archer and klatt, i think i like the game itself as it has incorporated so many games into one. But the main thing that made me think this could really help put pool in the mainstream was when i seen toronto vs atlanta and i thought this feels like a real sports match.

Now i know its a generalization to say that but think about it, people are always quick to root and support there teams in all sports! And now pool has home teams and jerseys so im really gonna be interested in seeing how this will effect the general publics interest.

The only thing i don't like is it's not traditional im still a 9ball fan 10ball fan and hoping to get into 1 pocket soemday. But on the other hand i don't think the non traditional will effect it in a bad way. I think it could be what pool needs to get non players interested because of the team aspect and pros representing thier home state or country. Very interesting indeed.

jason

Silver Member
I'm going to wait till it really starts, so that I can give it a proper "chance", not just how the initial promo videos look.

That's not a knock.

It seems premature to ask whether anyone loves it or hates it, based on the promo material only. Once the matches really start, with the real teams, clocks, graphics, shirts, everything that the folks have told us are coming....then we might have a reasoned opinion.

Hoping it works out well.

Fair enough Dub...I think we are all in agreement, even the creators. Only time will tell if it can hold water or not. The poll is only to get an initial opinion from pool fans, not an end all. In six months, we may have another poll.

vpbb123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A poll about something that few have played or have seen is ridicules. Bonus Ball being played as professional billiards is no big deal! You can play it on the same table as you have in your basement, same cues, it plays smooth and fast, there is no flukes to win. You will seldom ever see a break and run so each player get his chance to show his stuff, like all the other sports of the world. It's simply billiards.

How about a poll like do we really want a professional league of billiard players entertaining us like main stream sports? That is the poll I would like to see!

jason

Silver Member
A poll about something that few have played or have seen is ridicules. Bonus Ball being played as professional billiards is no big deal! You can play it on the same table as you have in your basement, same cues, it plays smooth and fast, there is no flukes to win. You will seldom ever see a break and run so each player get his chance to show his stuff, like all the other sports of the world. It's simply billiards.

How about a poll like do we really want a professional league of billiard players entertaining us like main stream sports? That is the poll I would like to see!

That's the wonderful world of the internet...you are free to start your own poll and I'm free to start mine. Again, the poll is only to get an initial reaction, so it is not ridicules by any means.

jason

Silver Member
The early results of the poll are positive with several undecided. I think this is a good sign for Bonus Ball to have a following and possible succeed. Hopefully they have a good business model in place to support it if it does.

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
Undecided !

I watched the promo match between archer and klatt, i think i like the game itself as it has incorporated so many games into one. But the main thing that made me think this could really help put pool in the mainstream was when i seen toronto vs atlanta and i thought this feels like a real sports match.

Now i know its a generalization to say that but think about it, people are always quick to root and support there teams in all sports! And now pool has home teams and jerseys so im really gonna be interested in seeing how this will effect the general publics interest.

The only thing i don't like is it's not traditional im still a 9ball fan 10ball fan and hoping to get into 1 pocket soemday. But on the other hand i don't think the non traditional will effect it in a bad way. I think it could be what pool needs to get non players interested because of the team aspect and pros representing thier home state or country. Very interesting indeed.

I do think the team concept is something that will work. It works for the major leagues that have the massive success !
Think about it, only a 2 horse race keeps all the people interested. They only had 2 ways go with their support, lol !

But I need to see how all the other factors unfold before I can like it or not.
You know it is hard to buy a house from the porch, gotta go in and look around some.
:cool:

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok folks, Bonus Ball has finally debuted. I'm sure. as with every change from the traditional, there will be resistance. The question is: Do you like Bonus Ball or not?

I for one, embrace change when needed, but reject it when not. Change in pool is definitely needed. Pool must change to survive and prosper. The glory days of yesteryear are over. The hustler and road player have been replaced by the internet and video games.

I think the game has been well thought out, but will most likely have a few setbacks somewhere along the line as with most new ventures. If you do not like Bonus Ball, let us know why. Constructive criticism can only make Bonus Ball Better. I think it is important to remember that Bonus Ball is not going to replace one-pocket, nine-ball, or eight-ball. It is only offering an additional variation to the game.

So, are you going to embrace Bonus Ball and give it a chance?
I love new games that incorporate different skills and strategies. Bonus Ball is good at that. I've played games very similar, but of course they certainly never caught on seriously, but are great for practice. Now why did they use their own balls? They could have easily used striped, solid, and the 8 ball.

They used their own balls because they want to make more money (and arguably to make the rules more clear). Or perhaps to keep the amateurs from trying it out, making it strictly a more professional game. But I think that is absolutely retarded. I suppose it helps them get more money and support for marketing, which obviously they have a lot, but still, it will prevent it from catching on some amount.

jason

Silver Member
I love new games that incorporate different skills and strategies. Bonus Ball is good at that. I've played games very similar, but of course they certainly never caught on seriously, but are great for practice. Now why did they use their own balls? They could have easily used striped, solid, and the 8 ball.

They used their own balls because they want to make more money (and arguably to make the rules more clear). Or perhaps to keep the amateurs from trying it out, making it strictly a more professional game. But I think that is absolutely retarded. I suppose it helps them get more money and support for marketing, which obviously they have a lot, but still, it will prevent it from catching on some amount.

Of course you could use any set of balls, but using their own set does a couple of things: 1. It makes understanding the rules a little more clear and 2. It brands Bonus Ball and differentiates it from the competition.

You know, they could have played in tuxedos, plain t-shirts and jeans, or dirty sweat suits for that matter. Marketing a product (Bonus Ball is a product just that same as the NFL) is a matter of style and differentiation. The NFL doesn't have to have uniforms, but they do.

vpbb123

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cost of a ball set is nothing if you own a pool table. I own solid and stripes, snooker set and Bonus Balls. The Bonus Ball was the cheaper set but I always want Aramith balls. When I race cars, I watch more expensive parts destroyed in a heart beat! My three ball sets are good forever. Yes, we have our game sets marked up above cost but not enough to say we are in the ball business because we are not.

We don't want to see this new and exciting game played by using solid and stripes. Those balls are dated and where first introduced when??? I was not born! Bonus Ball is played with this set. I'm never going to play nine ball with a Bonus Ball set and I won't ever play Snooker with a solid and stripe set. I just don't get it. Pool is a very inexpensive sport. Dirt cheap actually. Try racing, hockey or football!

This whole concept is not a money grab. It's a labour of love that the whole Bonus Ball team is behind. If we do make a profit, so what! We only make a profit if we entertain and have something to offer players that they enjoy. If we do that, yes, we might make some profit. Even when I was in leagues when I first started playing, I listened to players complaining about a league fee or this and that while they downed a bunch of beer. Being a race car driver, I just could not understand what all the griping was about. They cry about a sanction fee that was less than my entry fee for one race...plus my sanction fee was triple the pool league fee. Pool players, every aspect of your sport is dirt cheap. Enjoy it and support it. That's the way it is in other sports!

Last edited:

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
It seems like an interesting billiards game.

I think promoting and embracing the game at the professional level will do absolutely nothing for promoting the game to the general public or making the sport more recognized and supported, quite the contrary.

The game has ALOT of rules and is quite confusing for the general public. Players playing shape on the wrong side pocket, the bonus ball is wild at all times or just at the break shot? Archer shot the black in what would be Klatt's pocket on the break shot, Klatt was forced to cut a black into a corner when he was straight in on Archer's side though...

The 1-pocket moment where Klatt had an interesting battle forming was killed by the "Oh BTW there is yet another rule where Archer can shoot into his opponents pocket for no points as long as that shot is in a combo!" BS. That rules sucks, it kills alot of the chess aspect that was forming, imagine what that type of rule would due to 1-pocket, it would kill it's soul. There is some soul in that area of the game that would exist without that rule.

Jump cues should most definately not be allowed in this game given the way it plays, brutal choice to allow them and kill all of the masse and kick shots that would be created in this game. Allow jump shots only with a full length cue.

The color of the cloth sucks bigtime. It is dry and boring looking and they should jump on that ASAP. Tan/Brown is a color you almost never see in sports at all, maybe the makers of bonus ball need to look into the psychology of why that is. The should have went with yellow and red balls on a green cloth and the game would look alot better.

The people being told to "clap" after every single shot looks hokey and forced and the viewers can see that all too clearly. You are actually cheapening the game and making it look more like a joke when you do that.

I expect the game to be gone in a year, but if they tightened up the rules abit, got rid of the jump cue, changed the cloth and ball colors, got riddy of the cheezy clapping for a straight in shot that Plumber Joe makes with ease, maybe they could salvage it into a niche game to be sold at trade shows.

Last edited:

thefonz

It's not me...it's my ADD
Silver Member
It seems like an interesting billiards game.

I think promoting and embracing the game at the professional level will do absolutely nothing for promoting the game to the general public or making the sport more recognized and supported, quite the contrary.

The game has ALOT of rules and is quite confusing for the general public. Players playing shape on the wrong side pocket, the bonus ball is wild at all times or just at the break shot? Archer shot the black in what would be Klatt's pocket on the break shot, Klatt was forced to cut a black into a corner when he was straight in on Archer's side though...

The 1-pocket moment where Klatt had an interesting battle forming was killed by the "Oh BTW there is yet another rule where Archer can shoot into his opponents pocket for no points as long as that shot is in a combo!" BS. That rules sucks, it kills alot of the chess aspect that was forming, imagine what that type of rule would due to 1-pocket, it would kill it's soul. There is some soul in that area of the game that would exist without that rule.

Jump cues should most definately not be allowed in this game given the way it plays, brutal choice to allow them and kill all of the masse and kick shots that would be created in this game. Allow jump shots only with a full length cue.

The color of the cloth sucks bigtime. It is dry and boring looking and they should jump on that ASAP. Tan/Brown is a color you almost never see in sports at all, maybe the makers of bonus ball need to look into the psychology of why that is. The should have went with yellow and red balls on a green cloth and the game would look alot better.

The people being told to "clap" after every single shot looks hokey and forced and the viewers can see that all too clearly. You are actually cheapening the game and making it look more like a joke when you do that.

I expect the game to be gone in a year, but if they tightened up the rules abit, got rid of the jump cue, changed the cloth and ball colors, got riddy of the cheezy clapping for a straight in shot that Plumber Joe makes with ease, maybe they could salvage it into a niche game to be sold at trade shows.

Ditto, what he said. If their looking for a game that would attract the general public, this ain't it.

Needless to say, I love all games. But this bonus ball didn't exactly gather my attention in the first minute of watching it, and once I somewhat understood what was going on, it didn't get any better.

thefonz

Silver Member
You know, they could have played in tuxedos, plain t-shirts and jeans, or dirty sweat suits for that matter. Marketing a product (Bonus Ball is a product just that same as the NFL) is a matter of style and differentiation. The NFL doesn't have to have uniforms, but they do.

... it's in NFL rulebook that they do. I'm sure if they didn't have uniform rules, the game could get pretty confusing for the players.

Not so much necessary in pool, there's not as much tackling:grin-square:

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
The league is made up of 36 of the top professional players in the world. These very players were instrumental in tweaking the rules when they met for over a week in Vegas in May. If there were any glaring faults in the rules, the professional players discussed them with the league officials, and got them changed. What remains is what the players and league officials feel is the best set of rules to begin their league with. As is the case with all other professional sports entities, there will surely be further adjustments made to the rules; even possibly on an annual basis, like the NFL seems to enjoy doing.

All of these complaints over rules, balls, uniforms, cloth, etc. do little more than distract people from the real value that Bonus Ball brings: it is a PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE, made up of TEAMS, representing various CITIES. Fans can now support their favorite team because of its locale, or because of its mix of players. Ravalries will be established. Championships will be fought for, and won. Entire geographical areas can feel personal involvements in what takes place, just as they do with many other team sports. This is all something that pool has needed for a long, long time.

Go, Phoenix Flames!

Roger

thefonz

Silver Member
All of these complaints over rules, balls, uniforms, cloth, etc. do little more than distract people from the real value that Bonus Ball brings: it is a PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE, made up of TEAMS, representing various CITIES. Fans can now support their favorite team because of its locale, or because of its mix of players. Ravalries will be established. Championships will be fought for, and won. Entire geographical areas can feel personal involvements in what takes place, just as they do with many other team sports. This is all something that pool has needed for a long, long time.

Go, Phoenix Flames!

Roger

Doesn't the mosconi cup do this without having to create a new game

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Doesn't the mosconi cup do this without having to create a new game

Not really since that is a one time a year thing with Europe vs USA, a little different but hopefully the atmosphere and energy of the team matches will be the same.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
So there will be a Bonus Ball players draft yearly ?

:embarrassed2:

I am sure over time there will be, perhaps people waiting for open spots in case one of the team players is unavailable for some reason. If players do not perform or represent the game positively I am sure they will not be around long either. I think Captains pick who they want on their teams from a list of eligible players but maybe Larry or Barry could speak more on that.

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course you could use any set of balls, but using their own set does a couple of things: 1. It makes understanding the rules a little more clear and 2. It brands Bonus Ball and differentiates it from the competition.

Yep, I understood and mentioned those points but still don't think it was a good idea given the state pool is in. Of course, I could be wrong.

Nevertheless, I hope it does well and brings in more interest and excitement to pool!