Brian White

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JDB said:
I admit it, I didn't get your point at first; however, I did finally realize your point prior to this post and I think you are dead on in your assessment.

The funny thing is that the amateurs that will not play in open events or not play if so and so plays, generally still don't have a chance in the tournament because there are still several top notch amateurs who do play and cash in open events that will still be the heavy favorites. The people who won't play in open events most likely will not do much better in amateur events because the competition is still very strong.

This is not always the case, but I would bet it is the case in 95% of the amateurs who will not play in open events.
I am an amateur who plays in open events and likes it. I have gone two and out in every single one exept for 1. So 13 times I have gone two and out. The better the players the more I want to play.

BVal

B_White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DeadPoked said:
Seems to me that Brian is doing the same thing that he is complaining about the amatuers are doing... Everyone that knows him says he plays at a pro level, but he doesn't play in any pro events. Why is that Brian? Don't feel like donating your hard earned money? You realize that you are not likely to place very well? You may realize there isn't any money in pro pool for a player of your caliber and just figured you could earn easy money playing in regional events and now that that money is drying up, you cry foul.
Obviously you don't know much. No pro, not even Archer can survive just on tourney winnings. I cannot afford to travel to all the pro events even if I cashed everytime. Does this answer your question?

B_White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ed Simmons said:
This quote was taken from post #34 on this thread. I was really hoping you were a man of your word!:(
If you don't like whats talked about on here you can always not read it.

ccshrimper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
frankncali said:
This is simply not true. The comments require that all it takes to be a top player is playing tougher events and losing. It also implies that ANYONE can play to a level high enough to win a regional level event. That is not true at all is is a slap in the face at the higher skill guys.

There are certain attributes/skills that one can develop but to be Top at amost anything just by practicing doesnt happen.

I

I know not everyone can be a top player but you can improve on your game by playing better players. In any sport or game, you can reach your maximum skill level but how do you know what that level is if you only play tournaments where the good players are kicked out? If they are not playing pool for money or wins then why object to great players playing also? I'm not talking about only regional events, it could be your little $5 tournament. I just don't get your point or argument here.

If someone is broke and wants to make a little extra cash in an easy tournament and doesn't want a ringer playing, that's their problem. Get a better job that let's you afford your hobby! I've been kicked out of tournaments before because a few threatened to leave if I played but a majority wanted me to play for the tougher competition.

IF someone is just miles above the rest of the field and playing them demoralizes the rest of the field, then I can understand a tournament director not wanting them to play. Nobody wants to play someone they can't even compete with because you can't really learn anything that you couldn't learn from just watching. But, if someone is just a ball better than a few of the other players it's silly to kick them out.

Ed Simmons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
B_White said:
If you don't like whats talked about on here you can always not read it.
No, it's more a question of your credibility.

Why don't you quit trying to shoot small fish and step up? (and shut up)

B_White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ed Simmons said:
No, it's more a question of your credibility.

Why don't you quit trying to shoot small fish and step up? (and shut up)
Its amazing to me at what some will say behind the safety of a computer screen. As I said before, when you see me in person please be sure to share these same sentiments. ok?

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
B_White said:
Its amazing to me at what some will say behind the safety of a computer screen. As I said before, when you see me in person please be sure to share these same sentiments. ok?
If you whined like this in public and not just behind a computer screen I sure would say it to you in person. Then you could be a big bad man and punch me :)

BVal

Ed Simmons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
B_White said:
Kinda looks to me like I'm going to have to take a number. You've got a long list of others in front of me that you seem to want to pop, tough guy.

B_White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ed Simmons said:
Kinda looks to me like I'm going to have to take a number. You've got a long list of others in front of me that you seem to want to pop, tough guy.
Never said i was gonna pop anyone. Simply said if we are going to resort to name calling say it to my face.

mapman72

B_White said:

Brian,
You obviously play great. A couple guys in the DC area were having a conversation about you the other day. I think the issue is that you have to decide what you want to do: do you want to be a professional pool player or do you want to be a great regional player? I suggest you throw caution to the wind and take a shot at professional pool. Of course, this is easy for me to say as I am a good regional player who loves the fact that I have a job and don't have to play pool to make a living. But there is a part of me that admires guys like Mike Davis who have decided to make a living playing pool. Mike, while not known as a big gambler, hustles to make his living. He hustles from tournament to tournament and finds a way to make it to the big tournaments. You should try it because from what everyone says you play well enough to win at that level. I'm not dogging you at all, but I think that a lot of players of my caliber are a little taken back by your comments. I mean, I play decent and have a good chance to win a lot of local tournaments. So I'll go to these tournaments, and just before they begin, in walks a professional to "steal the tournament". I'm not mad at them, but it has caused a lot of good, local amatuers to stop showing up to these events, and in turn, it has hurt the game of pool. What Mike J. is doing is an incredible endeavor. He is looking beyond the next tournament, the next year, and is trying to do something monumental for the game. Building up the amateur base is a great strategy for building up the "open level" and professional level, in my opinion. If money is the issue for you not playing in the bigger tournaments, I come through Columbia, SC once a month or so and if you give up the 8, I will take a shot at you for some $. I'm sure you could take a few entry fees worth from me :grin: PM me if you want to work something out.
Joey

B_White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mapman72 said:
Brian,
You obviously play great. A couple guys in the DC area were having a conversation about you the other day. I think the issue is that you have to decide what you want to do: do you want to be a professional pool player or do you want to be a great regional player? I suggest you throw caution to the wind and take a shot at professional pool. Of course, this is easy for me to say as I am a good regional player who loves the fact that I have a job and don't have to play pool to make a living. But there is a part of me that admires guys like Mike Davis who have decided to make a living playing pool. Mike, while not known as a big gambler, hustles to make his living. He hustles from tournament to tournament and finds a way to make it to the big tournaments. You should try it because from what everyone says you play well enough to win at that level. I'm not dogging you at all, but I think that a lot of players of my caliber are a little taken back by your comments. I mean, I play decent and have a good chance to win a lot of local tournaments. So I'll go to these tournaments, and just before they begin, in walks a professional to "steal the tournament". I'm not mad at them, but it has caused a lot of good, local amatuers to stop showing up to these events, and in turn, it has hurt the game of pool. What Mike J. is doing is an incredible endeavor. He is looking beyond the next tournament, the next year, and is trying to do something monumental for the game. Building up the amateur base is a great strategy for building up the "open level" and professional level, in my opinion. If money is the issue for you not playing in the bigger tournaments, I come through Columbia, SC once a month or so and if you give up the 8, I will take a shot at you for some $. I'm sure you could take a few entry fees worth from me :grin: PM me if you want to work something out.
Joey
Note to some others on this forum.... This is the way to disagree with someones view. Nice, polite and still gets your point across. I disagree slightly with you but appreciate the manor in which you come across.

corvette1340

www.EpawnMarket.com
Silver Member
B_White said:
Note to some others on this forum.... This is the way to disagree with someones view. Nice, polite and still gets your point across. I disagree slightly with you but appreciate the manor in which you come across.

note to B Whizzle, this is internet land dawg, there are no rules! lol.
When you going back to Athens? I told all of them I wasnt coming back until you did.

B_White said:
Obviously you don't know much. No pro, not even Archer can survive just on tourney winnings. I cannot afford to travel to all the pro events even if I cashed everytime. Does this answer your question?

2007 Winnings: $75,140
View 2007 Tournament Results

2006 Winnings: $137,580
View 2006 Tournament Results

2005 Winnings: $100,104
View 2005 Tournament Results

2004 Winnings: $87,367
View 2004 Tournament Results

2003 Winnings: $131,460
View 2003 Tournament Results

And he has won 38k already this year so i think he can survive on tournaments only.. Dumbest post u have made yet for sure...

ScottW

Fo' shizzle!
Silver Member
JamieMcWhorter said:
2007 Winnings: $75,140
View 2007 Tournament Results

2006 Winnings: $137,580
View 2006 Tournament Results

2005 Winnings: $100,104
View 2005 Tournament Results

2004 Winnings: $87,367
View 2004 Tournament Results

2003 Winnings: $131,460
View 2003 Tournament Results

Nice figures for a single guy with no real expenses; but for a guy with a family and a house, and the added expenses of travel/lodging/tournament fees, that's not what I'd call "making a living".

Archer has other sources of income as well, so I figure he's doing alright. But, that's Archer - most pros aren't going to have those sorts of winnings. He's an exception, not a rule.

B_White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ScottW said:
Nice figures for a single guy with no real expenses; but for a guy with a family and a house, and the added expenses of travel/lodging/tournament fees, that's not what I'd call "making a living".

Archer has other sources of income as well, so I figure he's doing alright. But, that's Archer - most pros aren't going to have those sorts of winnings. He's an exception, not a rule.
Exactly. And what you dont realize Jamie is that a lot of his tourney winnings are from invitation tourneys only. I'm not invited to those. Nor are most others. I'm good friends with Stevie Moore and I promise you as good a player as he is he has NO shot to earn a living on tournament winnings only.

Last edited:
B_White said:
Exactly. And what you dont realize Jamie is that a lot of his tourney winnings are from invitation tourneys only. I'm not invited to those. Nor are most others. I'm good friends with Stevie Moore and I promise you as good a player as he is he has NO shot to earn a living on tournament winnings only.

I understand this he is not a top 30 in the world player he can't make a good living playing pool..but what im saying is without amatuers and fans there would be no money for guys like Johnny even...

If there weren't amateur tournaments and handicapped tournaments then amateurs and fans would lose interest... there are plenty of amatuers that basically donate to get better by playing in open tournaments but we can't get mad about someone trying to keep them interested in pool by having good amateur tournaments

UGA330

Registered
Navy Seal?

MikeJanis said:
Brian, as a former Navy Seal I hope you have more restraint than that.

Mj wants to be righ next, ooops behind you in any fight but would prefer no fight at all.

Mj

Navy Seal? I heard he was in the Navy, but not a Navy Seal? Come on, lets stick to the facts!!!!

LOL

muttley76

"Time to GET BUSY...."
Silver Member
Whatever. Bwizzle got his ass kicked in downtown Athens, and there couldn't have been more than 5 of them......... true story. Gotta be careful which females you talk to:wink: . Even though it was in a nice way