Bridge Hand

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Think about this, why do we often get allot more/or allot less/Draw with the same shot execution and swing speed?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have always wondered how consistently top players place their bodies, in relation to shots.

Not sure how such a thing could be measured.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Body Gait and Ape Index plays a major role in pool, sports, and motions we do on a daily basis.

I'm a slider,I slide to the cue ball, when it feels right it's right, I know it, one fluid motion.
My arms, feet, head, shoulders, hips, etc. always feel comfortable and where they belong on each shot.
It could be a 1/4'' or 6'' slide depending on where the cue ball sits, sometimes no slide, maybe a foot adjustment.
You don't know it's there until you become aware of it and feel it. When you find it you have it forever.
When it feels wrong you know it instantly and adjust. It's very simple and never second thought once you know it.
Cue ball contact timing is dialed in when the body is right, too long or short, your watch has the wrong time.

Ever wonder why someone looks so comfortable at what they are doing? Pool?
I've written about Body Gait and Ape Index many times. If you don't know how to use it I recommend giving it a go.

Just a few guys who slide.

Last edited:

dquarasr

Registered
We don't. If all of the inputs are equal, the output would also be equal. Basic physics.
If the back hand is farther back on the cue at address point of the cue ball on one shot, compared to another shot, the tip will not be on the same spot on the cue ball when stroking through. The shot with the grip closer to the bridge hand can easily be lower on the cue ball (assuming a “standard” no-elbow-drop pendulum stroke; piston stroke likely won’t have this discrepancy).

Credit where credit is due: this tidbit from A Shortstop On Pool YouTube video on how to power draw. He explains it in detail. Good vid.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's what I'm getting at.
Since Many think our walk up and mechanics are correct then, why does a pro get more cue ball action, with less swing speed?
not sure how this relates to your original post but to answer this question
its their accurate tip placement and the supreb timing of their stroke

Island Drive

Silver Member
There are many factors and I'd say the main ones are accurate striking and awareness of actual possibllities of a given shot.
Accurate striking....in proportion to changes in play conditions.

Great players allow for the obj. ball squirt that is in proportion to cue ball/swing speed at point of contact.

The cleanliness of the ball set, changes/with time, as dirt becomes an influence in ball collisions as does the oil from hands.
Thus, your walk up to the shot must change.

A simple aspect of a golf course. When the grass gets longer as the day progresses, everything is in flux/change.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
If your down and done, and your body is in proper balance.
How does one Know, while placing your bridge hand on the play surface, when it's a little too much left, or too much to the right?
Is the distance between your handle hand and your hip the reference point?
The way I know is that I bring the cue down on the shot line as it travels through the center of the CB and lay the tip at the base of the CB down at the felt, making sure I'm lined up on center ball.

Then I bring the cue up to center ball for my initial practice strokes.

Jaden

p.s. I can do this because I use BHE, for feel players, it's just going to be a matter of it feeling correct.

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
Think about this, why do we often get allot more/or allot less/Draw with the same shot execution and swing speed?
That's going to be a function of the acceleration, not the swing speed. You can hit the ball at the same speed and if you're decelerating the cb will react completely differently to an acceleration at the same speed through the cb.

The most difficult part of making sure you're accelerating through the cb, (accelerating gives you the most consistent outcome), is on softer shots because the initial start of the final swing into the ball has to be slower in order to continue to accelerate through the ball.

Different players can use different methodologies to achieve this. Some will use a shorter stroke, some will deliberately slow the start of the swing so that they're still accelerating through the ball, but at a slower speed.

Most miscues are not due to tips or even chaulk, it's due to decelerating at the point of contact rather than accelerating.

Jaden

Last edited:

Island Drive

Silver Member
Agreed Philly.
Awhile back I was watching the most recent Filler/Sanchez match.
In the earlier stages, Sanchez hit one of the most pure/with great speed control draw shots 6' in length that I've seen in a looooooooong time.
He had a very small window/angle to get perfect on his next ball. If he under-hit it just a foot the cue ball was going into a bunch of balls, GREAT SHOT!
I was impressed. This kids game is only getting better.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed Philly.
Awhile back I was watching the most recent Filler/Sanchez match.
In the earlier stages, Sanchez hit one of the most pure/with great speed control draw shots 6' in length that I've seen in a looooooooong time.
He had a very small window/angle to get perfect on his next ball. If he under-hit it just a foot the cue ball was going into a bunch of balls, GREAT SHOT!
I was impressed. This kids game is only getting better.
Exact positioning is a beautiful thing.
It takes a lot of confidence in yourself to hit the shot as you imagine it.
Still working on that.
Depends on who shows up that day, me or my evil twin.
Hahahaha.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Googling 'The Four Stages Of Competence' may help in responding to the OP.
If your down and done, and your body is in proper balance.
How does one Know, while placing your bridge hand on the play surface, when it's a little too much left, or too much to the right?
Is the distance between your handle hand and your hip the reference point?