Brothers Billiards, new kind of pool room.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well i certainly wouldn't join a club to play on anything other than professional size tables.
There aren’t any other 9-ft tables in the city, aside from in people’s homes. People play on Valley leagues, which are on crummy 7-ft tables and then maybe go to Vegas where they play on the same 7-ft tables but a little cleaner. And they play on BCA leagues which can be on any type of table, but then they go to Vegas and play on nice 7-ft Diamonds, like the ones in this room. There’s only one yearly tournament on 9-ft tables in the region, a few hours drive from this room. All the others are on those crummy 7-ft Valley tables or the nice 7-ft Diamond tables. Unfortunately 9-footers are almost non-existent in the region, and by region I mean an area the size of Germany or France.

Someone made a comment about not understanding why they would put in 8-footers. Given the non-existence of 9-footers in the region, 8-footers make sense to me. I’ve been playing on 7-footers almost exclusively for the past decade (except at home), and every time I go to play on a 7-footer they look tiny, like toy tables. The 8-foot Diamonds in this room are really nice tables and the difference isn’t as stark between the 8 and 9.

I was in this room a couple times in the past month, and I got to talk to realkingcobra for a while. Crazy guy. :D The owners are extremely happy with what you’ve done. Man you set up a fast table.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why in the world does any room install 8’ tables. Reminds me of the crappy rooms in Texas
I agree. After encountering my first 9’ table at LeCue in Houston in 1966 I’ve tried to avoid anything smaller unless I walk into a bar. I can’t imagine a room with only one 9’ table. A one pocket match can go on for hours resul in a long wait time and discouraging play.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's always much easier to spend someone else's money, rather than your own😉
It’s very difficult to spend my money when I walk in a room and see nothing but bar boxes and 8’ tables.
I’ve walked into Paddy’s in Coeur d’Alene many times and never spent a dime because the only 9’ table was being used. I elected to just walk back out. That’s why I’ll drive the extra 30 minutes to Spokane where I know there’s more than one 9’ table. Pretty simple economics to me👌🎱✈️

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It’s very difficult to spend my money when I walk in a room and see nothing but bar boxes and 8’ tables.
I’ve walked into Paddy’s in Coeur d’Alene many times and never spent a dime because the only 9’ table was being used. I elected to just walk back out. That’s why I’ll drive the extra 30 minutes to Spokane where I know there’s more than one 9’ table. Pretty simple economics to me👌🎱✈️
But you have to look at it from the room owners point of view as well, it's econimics for them too😉

Rusty in Montana

Since we're talking about pool in Billings I remember back when there were 2 Corner Pocket Billiards lounges and you walk in at any given time and there was a good chance you could've had you're pick of 4 1/2 x 9 tables because the bar boxes were in use even the billiard table would at times have a waiting list to play on it .

Yes there were times when it didn't matter which type of table you wanted to play on there was going to be a wait .
I'm playing the devils advocate here but in a perfect world would love to see nothing but 4 1/2 x 9 tables or at least 10 of them and 6 bar box tables with a snooker table and a billiard table which I feel would go begging in the Billings market I'd see Paul S or Johnny play billiards at times but few others so does it warrant the cost of those tables ?

Starting out I don't blame them for their choices of tables more can be added at a later date.
Then there's a bar with a lot of bar boxes out past where the " Broadwater Pocket " was located that did a brisk business when I lived in or near Billings , now I'm quite a ways from there so it's been awhile sincere I was last in there so I cant say one way or another on how there business is.

Mike had a pool room in Billings and mainly 4 1/2 x 9 tables and after so many different times of the cloth needing to be replaced because of abuse and lack of knowledge on how to jump a cue ball properly and who know what all else he fazed / sold them .
Similar to what George Frank did with the Corner Pocket Franchise.
So in closing for now these are my random thoughts on this matter .

sos911

i never support pool halls with only 1 9 ft ... i have been known to just leave if a 9ft isnt available .. i do also spend several hundred a week at poolhalls with plenty of 9 ft tables. my main reason is because 9ft tables are hard to come by now. everyone wants to play on a 7ft table for some odd reason. i mean no disrespect .

realkingcobra

Silver Member
i never support pool halls with only 1 9 ft ... i have been known to just leave if a 9ft isnt available .. i do also spend several hundred a week at poolhalls with plenty of 9 ft tables. my main reason is because 9ft tables are hard to come by now. everyone wants to play on a 7ft table for some odd reason. i mean no disrespect .
But in Brothers, you can't even spend several $100 a month, there's nothing but vending machines to spend your money on😉

sos911

but it doesnt support me as a player.... if i have to go and wait for 1 9ft table to be available i would rather drive 2hrs to a place that has plenty

joninnorfolk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table dimensions? Don't care. Not enough of one type over another? Don't care. This is Montana and there are too damned few places to play now. I will encourage, support, and frequent as much as I can any attempt at a pool hall or bar with good equipment. I will check out Brothers in the next week in person and I am so stoked to do so, just wish I could play all day and not have the real reason I'm in the "city" be a meeting with a lower spine neurosurgeon.

Rusty in Montana

Yes sir I'm not sure when I first heard that term but it stuck . There also was another bar / pool room right across main st from the heights Corner Pocket but the owners sold it and all those bar boxes but one went away .

The only tournament I ever played in was the Garden City 9 ball tournament at the Missoula Corner Pocket I've not heard or seen anything about it in years so sadly I'm afraid it's gone away also along with all those 4 1/2 x 9 tables .

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
but it doesnt support me as a player.... if i have to go and wait for 1 9ft table to be available i would rather drive 2hrs to a place that has plenty
Your preferences to playing pool has nothing to do with this thread, who cares anyway, you're in the .02% that frequent a pool room anywhere, and are a pain when you do. This is Montana, you don't live here, so you'll never be coming to Brothers Billiards anyway.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
And that would be Black Diamond Billiards, only other 9ft is at Legacy, and 16 7fts😅

Rimfirejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Several hundred what? Pesos?