Brumback vs Spaeth

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Losing Gary took me totally by surprise. I saw him grow up from the little kid his dad Joey brought to the poolroom to become one of the best Bank Pool players of all time. He could play other games as well, but at Banks he was supreme. Gary learned at the feet of another great banker, Donny Anderson.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Losing Gary took me totally by surprise. I saw him grow up from the little kid his dad Joey brought to the poolroom to become one of the best Bank Pool players of all time. He could play other games as well, but at Banks he was supreme. Gary learned at the feet of another great banker, Donny Anderson.
When did he pass, I knew he did. Just don’t remember when or why. That sure is a beautiful match of “bumps”

hope your good Jay

Fatboy

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
When did he pass, I knew he did. Just don’t remember when or why. That sure is a beautiful match of “bumps”
According to the following links he passed on December 16, 2000 of leukemia, just over a year after the video from post #1. Stuff like this always makes me realize we never know just when our time will come and it could end up being a whole lot sooner than we would have hoped.

Another good little write up with pictures.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to the following links he passed on December 16, 2000 of leukemia, just over a year after the video from post #1. Stuff like this always makes me realize we never know just when our time will come and it could end up being a whole lot sooner than we would have hoped.

Thx for the links.

We never really know. Enjoy each day as much as you can.

thx again
Eric

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

For those who didn't get a chance to meet him, Gary was a really good guy, never had a bad word to say about anyone. He was the kind of poolplayer who would call a foul on himself and never question his opponent if he claims a good hit. Gary was soft spoken and not one to brag, but he was a tenacious competitor. He LOVED playing pool, especially Banks. It wasn't so much that he wanted to beat you, as it was he wanted to make every bank no matter how difficult it was. Gary played the game, not his opponent. His high was slinging in those banks from all sorts of crazy angles, and he could do it too!

How he got to be so good I'll never know. He admired his mentor Donny Anderson and probably just caught that Bank Pool bug from him. His father Joey was also a great pool player at all games, but never banked like his son Gary. I have fond memories of the local Cincy kid who grew up to be a legendary player. I'm glad to see this video on here.

I wish there was also a video of Gary's Bank Pool match in the final of Clyde Childress Open against Wade Crane. I played in that tournament and watched the finals between these two. It was EPIC! They were both in dead Bank Pool stroke and were making everything from everywhere. There was nowhere to leave someone safe on that table. This was in Crane's prime, when he was one of the best players on the planet and Gary was a rising star who had beat everyone around during the last year or two. It was a Bank Pool dogfight and Wade finally ended Gary's run of victories, raining bank shot after bank shot until he was the last man standing. They both looked exhausted when it was over. They had given their all.

That's when I really love pool, when I see two warriors battle it out right to the end. Fortunately for us pool fans we have some great ones playing today and great matches being shown live. Plus being recorded for posterity.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Wow...This is a gem.
Very cool match with great commentary by Billy and Grady. That was Jimmy Rempe sitting in the cat bird seat up by the head of the table sweating the match. You can see a young Charlie Williams on the adjoining table later in the match. Those were good days at the old Executive West hotel in Louisville, right across the road from the airport.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool match with great commentary by Billy and Grady. That was Jimmy Rempe sitting in the cat bird seat up by the head of the table sweating the match. You can see a young Charlie Williams on the adjoining table later in the match. Those were good days at the old Executive West hotel in Louisville, right across the road from the airport.
I was there in '07. Cool beyond belief. Like goin' to the fair and all the carny's were pool players, poker players, and gaffy-bet artists. Unique atmosphere to say the least.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those who didn't get a chance to meet him, Gary was a really good guy, never had a bad word to say about anyone. He was the kind of poolplayer who would call a foul on himself and never question his opponent if he claims a good hit. Gary was soft spoken and not one to brag, but he was a tenacious competitor. He LOVED playing pool, especially Banks. It wasn't so much that he wanted to beat you, as it was he wanted to make every bank no matter how difficult it was. Gary played the game, not his opponent. His high was slinging in those banks from all sorts of crazy angles, and he could do it too!

How he got to be so good I'll never know. He admired his mentor Donny Anderson and probably just caught that Bank Pool bug from him. His father Joey was also a great pool player at all games, but never banked like his son Gary. I have fond memories of the local Cincy kid who grew up to be a legendary player. I'm glad to see this video on here.

I wish there was also a video of Gary's Bank Pool match in the final of Clyde Childress Open against Wade Crane. I played in that tournament and watched the finals between these two. It was EPIC! They were both in dead Bank Pool stroke and were making everything from everywhere. There was nowhere to leave someone safe on that table. This was in Crane's prime, when he was one of the best players on the planet and Gary was a rising star who had beat everyone around during the last year or two. It was a Bank Pool dogfight and Wade finally ended Gary's run of victories, raining bank shot after bank shot until he was the last man standing. They both looked exhausted when it was over. They had given their all.

That's when I really love pool, when I see two warriors battle it out right to the end. Fortunately for us pool fans we have some great ones playing today and great matches being shown live. Plus being recorded for posterity.
Bank pool stroke is such a amazing feeling. When you pop’em and they just go. Nothing like it.❤️❤️❤️

Great story Jay, thank you for telling it.

best
Fatboy

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I think it's worth taking note of the exceptional quality of the commentary. The analysis was thorough and opened the viewer's eyes to some of the subtlest aspects of playing bank pool, including how to beat kisses, how to deal with spin transfer off the rails, defensive aspects of the more difficult banks shots, etc. Grady and Billy get an A+ from me for their commentary in this match. The only commentator today, other than Billy himself, that sometimes offers insight of this depth into the play is Matchroom's Alex Lely, my choice for the best commentator in pool today.

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember playing Gary at one of the Monday night 9 ball tournaments at Airway in 1999. We were on 9 foot Diamonds. Gary had a mildly off-angle 7-9 combination at one end of the table. The 8 ball sat 3 inches off the middle of the opposite end rail. Frank Ruby was standing behind me and whispered, "Gary's gonna make the combo and put the rock behind that 8 ball for good measure." "Yeah right, Frank." I just laughed at such a ridiculous notion. Gary proceeds to punch the 9 into the center of the pocket and sends the cueball 2 rails in Z bank fashion, waving his cue above the table like a magic wand to encourage the cueball, as Gary often did. The cueball slowly dribbled down and nestled perfectly between the 8 ball and the rail to seal the deal. I was completely dumbfounded. That was the kind of player Gary was. RIP buddy.