Brunswick Centennials or Aramith Tournaments?

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just ran these through my home made ball polisher each group of 8 ran less than 5 minutes, I have no idea how old these are the came out of a pool hall named guys and dolls
a586389e8bbbec25450b75feebb7eaf1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really want to get my hands on a set of the new predator balls. I am not one for changing equipment much but the predator balls look slick. Bet they play great also. Haven’t heard any complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

JC

Coos Cues
I am just an average player with a table at home that loves to play. I don't use a micrometer or scale to be sure my weights and diameters are perfect. I just play and enjoy the game. I say that because these balls seem to play perfectly well after my cleaning, and as you can see, they look beautiful.

Here is exactly what I did:
1. One cycle in the dishwasher on "heated dry" cycle, with no soap. That heated then cooled the ball and exposed the wax as the balls expanded and contracted microscopically from the temperature change.
2. I used "McGuire's" rubbing compound. It is safe even for brand new, clear coat, car finishes to remove stains without removing clear coat or paint. I hand rubbed each ball and it took 45 minutes to an hour per ball to get all of the wax off. Each one came to a stunning shine as you see. 3. I wiped them all down and hand polished them with Aramith cleaner and that is what you see in the picture.

Again, a year later and they still look just like that picture and I have played them easily 1000 racks. I do still wipe them down with cleaner every few weeks because they get a few contact marks, but I have always done that with any set I have ever played with to keep them new looking.
I could work an extra weekend at my shop, buy a set of every ball mentioned in this thread and go out to a nice dinner in the time you hand rubbed those things. You have the patience of Job sir.

mrpiper

Registered
I could work an extra weekend at my shop, buy a set of every ball mentioned in this thread and go out to a nice dinner in the time you hand rubbed those things. You have the patience of Job sir.
This just gives you a little insight into just how boring my life is! :) It wasn't really about the money. I just wanted to see if they could be salvaged. I was about to throw them away but the first one turned out so beautifully I couldn't believe it! After that, I wanted to complete the whole set, and while I would never do it again, I am glad I did. I really enjoy my dirt cheap set of beautiful, shiny, Brunswick Centennials.

289FIA

I’ve had them both. I can’t tell any difference in the way they play but the Wow factor of the Centennials is off the charts. In my opinion. When I opened the Centennial set, they knocked my socks off.
I agree ... I just ordered a set of Centennials and will be selling my unused set of Aramith Super Pros. Just really like the look of the centennials.

TexasPoolPlayer7

I don’t own either set, but I’ve played with both and I very much prefer the Aramith Tournament balls. Nothing wrong with Centennials, the Tournaments just stood out more to me, so I’ll be buying a set this month.

TexasPoolPlayer7

He gets points for noticing.

When I was first learning to play, I ran into three kinds of balls. My friend's home table (Sears) had some kind of softer plastic balls. The student rec center had standard Hyatt phenolics. The pool hall had Centennials. The pool hall also had blue cloth and Willie Hoppe house cues. Even a beginner could see the difference. At that point I was happy to play with any of them, but I sure liked the pool hall better. A little later I even got to play with clay balls.

As for the OP, either is fine, and as long as you don't have exposed nails in the pockets or a concrete floor, they should last forever.

Curious about the significance of the concrete floor? Perhaps Google COULD tell me, but I’d rather hear your knowledge on it.

289FIA

Curious about the significance of the concrete floor? Perhaps Google COULD tell me, but I’d rather hear your knowledge on it.

Pretty sure he means that concrete floors are pretty tough on balls that fly off the table. One reason a lot of people use rugs under tables with a border. We put down a 10*13' run on our porcelain tile floor before our table arrived .. to protect balls and possibly even protect the tiles .. also helps a bit with noise reduction.

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a very old set of used Centennials that came in the old Blue and White box. They seemed to get so dirty so easily. FEEL FREE TO LAUGH, but I put them in the dishwasher 1 cycle. When they came out they were almost white from wax build up. The heat of the dry cycle made it opaque. It took me a week to strip all the wax off, but when I finally got it all off and polished them up with just cleaner, NOT cleaner/polish they looked like brand new. That has been about a year ago, and now, as many others have said, they just get play spots on them that wipe right off
with Aramith cleaner.
View attachment 586026View attachment 586027View attachment 586028View attachment 586029
Please excuse my ignorance, but where did all this wax buildup come from?

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
I agree ... I just ordered a set of Centennials and will be selling my unused set of Aramith Super Pros. Just really like the look of the centennials.
What are you asking for the Super Pros?

Those are the ones with the measle cue ball correct?

mrpiper

Registered
I bought them used. They looked beautiful when I bought them, but VERY quickly started to show marks and dulling. All in all, I guess the honest answer is that I just don't really know. I suspect the previous owner cleaned them with something that left residue. In the past, I have had this problem using a "Billiard Ball polish / cleaner" whose name I will not mention here. Never to this degree, but my point is that I think some of the cleaner/polish products may be like auto wax and can build up over time?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
..., but my point is that I think some of the cleaner/polish products may be like auto wax and can build up over time?
Whatever you use to clean the balls should not leave a residue. Wax is a bad idea. I wash the balls with plain water after using Aramith polish to make sure there's nothing left on them.

289FIA

What are you asking for the Super Pros?

Those are the ones with the measle cue ball correct?

No the Super Pro comes with the cue ball with the red A (Aramith) logo. The Super Pro TV set comes with the measles ball .. identical balls ... just the measles ball instead of the red A. My Super Pros have never been used .. never hit with a cue stick. My table is still being set up .. awaiting pockets to arrive as Diamond shipped the wrong ones. I am selling them because I have a set of Centennials arriving (a gift from my wife). So once I have the Centennials in hand I will be listing them on eBay for $270 or best offer.

Attachments

• Aramith Super Pro Balls new 2.jpg
    Aramith Super Pro Balls new 2.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 94

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No the Super Pro comes with the cue ball with the red A (Aramith) logo. The Super Pro TV set comes with the measles ball .. identical balls ... just the measles ball instead of the red A. My Super Pros have never been used .. never hit with a cue stick. My table is still being set up .. awaiting pockets to arrive as Diamond shipped the wrong ones. I am selling them because I have a set of Centennials arriving (a gift from my wife). So once I have the Centennials in hand I will be listing them on eBay for $270 or best offer.
I would suggest keeping both sets, as it’s nice to have more than one set. You can use the Centennial set for yourself and/or special company / occasions, which will keep them looking newer / nicer. Then you can use the Aramith set for all other times.

289FIA

I would suggest keeping both sets, as it’s nice to have more than one set. You can use the Centennial set for yourself and/or special company / occasions, which will keep them looking newer / nicer. Then you can use the Aramith set for all other times.
I like your line of thinking ... just have to "convince" my wife that it's not an extravagance! Really like both balls .. just seems like the Centennials "pop" more.

Attachments

• Centennial balls and rack.jpg
    Centennial balls and rack.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 114
  • Centennial vs Super Pro.jpg
    Centennial vs Super Pro.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited: