Brunswick Gold Crown VI (Tournament Edition)

Timkrieger

As a Brunswick fan and a GC fan generally, this info on the GC VI is very disappointing! I have never been a fan of the massive design change to the GC VI, probably one of the most visually offensive tables I've ever seen. For any fan of the classic Gold Crown lines, this table is an affront. But, I realize taste is very subjective and thought at least they wouldn't let the quality drop on the flagship. I had a GC IV, rock solid and no issues. I love the GC V design, I think it's probably the best looking GC besides the first generation. To me, for what it's worth, I think money is much better spent on a vintage Brunswick 1920's-50's. Have the table restored and end up with a much better American made product. I have a 10' Centennial and had Mark Gregory recalibrate and refinish the rails w/ 4.5" pockets. All in I was probably still at a lower price point than I'd be for one of these new Gold Crowns.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
As a Brunswick fan and a GC fan generally, this info on the GC VI is very disappointing! I have never been a fan of the massive design change to the GC VI, probably one of the most visually offensive tables I've ever seen. For any fan of the classic Gold Crown lines, this table is an affront. But, I realize taste is very subjective and thought at least they wouldn't let the quality drop on the flagship. I had a GC IV, rock solid and no issues. I love the GC V design, I think it's probably the best looking GC besides the first generation. To me, for what it's worth, I think money is much better spent on a vintage Brunswick 1920's-50's. Have the table restored and end up with a much better American made product. I have a 10' Centennial and had Mark Gregory recalibrate and refinish the rails w/ 4.5" pockets. All in I was probably still at a lower price point than I'd be for one of these new Gold Crowns.
The Gold Crown 6 is one of the best tables made today. I did not like the look, but, it grew on me.... Dealing with Brunswick as a Commercial Brunswick dealer has been AWESOME!

TFT

Timkrieger

Looks are subjective for sure. Brunswick put the Gold Crown VI up for a design competition among design students and this is how the design was developed and selected. In my opinion, Brunswick would have been better served following the Porsche 911 model of design change--small changes, but the overall design is still recognizable through each successive generation. That's what they did on all previous models since 1961. The angle of the legs of the table remind me of those cheap tables sold in the '70's and '80's with folding legs by Sears or Montgomery Wards, almost like a folding table. Also, the pocket shields look terrible in my opinion. I believe they are primarily made in China. I wish Brunswick would bring manufacturing back to the U.S. One of the greatest American companies in history and it's sad to see them today not really making billiard products and not making them in the U.S. At $10k per table, I think they could afford to make them in the U.S.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Looks are subjective for sure. Brunswick put the Gold Crown VI up for a design competition among design students and this is how the design was developed and selected. In my opinion, Brunswick would have been better served following the Porsche 911 model of design change--small changes, but the overall design is still recognizable through each successive generation. That's what they did on all previous models since 1961. The angle of the legs of the table remind me of those cheap tables sold in the '70's and '80's with folding legs by Sears or Montgomery Wards, almost like a folding table. Also, the pocket shields look terrible in my opinion. I believe they are primarily made in China. I wish Brunswick would bring manufacturing back to the U.S. One of the greatest American companies in history and it's sad to see them today not really making billiard products and not making them in the U.S. At $10k per table, I think they could afford to make them in the U.S.
they have a few parts made in china, primarily made in Indonesia and Brazil. Yes there are other cheap manufacturers in the world other than poor ole communist china... India and China are close to actual war over manufacturing. Brunswick has influenced ALL other manufacturers. Making money is the name of the game, not nationalism..... Global economy is not ever leaving.

TFT

Nyquil

they have a few parts made in china, primarily made in Indonesia and Brazil. Yes there are other cheap manufacturers in the world other than poor ole communist china... India and China are close to actual war over manufacturing. Brunswick has influenced ALL other manufacturers. Making money is the name of the game, not nationalism..... Global economy is not ever leaving.

TFT
Well I bought a diamond pro am instead for this reason. I was looking at the brunswicks once I found out they were made I went the other direction. I know it's difficult to find items not made there but luckily with Diamond around I could support manufacturing jobs in the USA.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read the whole thread and glad you got your table fixed.
My question is why did you let the table installers leave before they fixed the issue?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Well I bought a diamond pro am instead for this reason. I was looking at the brunswicks once I found out they were made I went the other direction. I know it's difficult to find items not made there but luckily with Diamond around I could support manufacturing jobs in the USA.
Notice my profile pic, nothing wrong with selling both, that provides PLENTY of opportunity for my USA FAMILY!!! with out Brunswick there would be no Diamond :) Brunswick invented commercial pool :)

TFT

Timkrieger

I love Brunswick, I just wish they retained some USA manufacturing. I think the 6 is visually a bad table and was disappointed to hear that it potentially had quality issues in addition to the cosmetic issues, but very good to hear that Brunswick Corporate took care of the problem. Something very cool that Brunswick did was to re-introduce the Centennial! Having an original Centennial, I am curious as to reviews of the new version of the Centennial.

Nyquil

I love Brunswick, I just wish they retained some USA manufacturing. I think the 6 is visually a bad table and was disappointed to hear that it potentially had quality issues in addition to the cosmetic issues, but very good to hear that Brunswick Corporate took care of the problem. Something very cool that Brunswick did was to re-introduce the Centennial! Having an original Centennial, I am curious as to reviews of the new version of the Centennial.
Ya I would be interested to hear some owner feedback. When I was shopping for tables I was surprised how much they were. Over 13k msrp. That's a lot for a table. The new gold crown were well over 10k if I recall. We have one main pool dealer where I live and when I talked to them the company said we stopped dealing in brunswicks way too many qc issues.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Ya I would be interested to hear some owner feedback. When I was shopping for tables I was surprised how much they were. Over 13k msrp. That's a lot for a table. The new gold crown were well over 10k if I recall. We have one main pool dealer where I live and when I talked to them the company said we stopped dealing in brunswicks way too many qc issues.
I mainly sell the GC6 and have no issues with it. I love working on them! They play great and yeah, if you get stuck paying retail, it can be pretty expensive. Is it really though? For something you get to use as long as a GC6 lasts, seems like a solid investment. I sell Diamonds to those who want them and it all works out :)

TFT

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They haven't actually 'built' tables here since '76-'77. They are an 'assembler' of tables made up of outsourced components. Don't see this ever changing.

Timkrieger

I had a Gold Crown IV, ball return with the matching light, that table played perfect! Never had a problem. I sold that one unfortunately when the economy turned bad back in 2008. I have wanted a V for about 10 years now, I think that might be the best looking Gold Crown since the white and blue Gold Crown I. Was pretty surprised with the looks of the VI, hopefully the issues highlighted here were mechanic issues and not issues with the quality of the table itself.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I had a Gold Crown IV, ball return with the matching light, that table played perfect! Never had a problem. I sold that one unfortunately when the economy turned bad back in 2008. I have wanted a V for about 10 years now, I think that might be the best looking Gold Crown since the white and blue Gold Crown I. Was pretty surprised with the looks of the VI, hopefully the issues highlighted here were mechanic issues and not issues with the quality of the table itself.
looking at one up close , makes the difference. I thought I did not like the bevel they put on the legs, they also made them much fatter. I love it. There will be a new version of course! :)

TFT

phreaticus

They removed and fixed the fit of all the pockets and plates (sample pic below) which was the main problem and also fixed the ball return.
View attachment 600032

Hey, can you share a bit more about how exactly BW resolved your hardware problems? Did they send the original local dealer to your home again, or did they put you in touch with a different mechanic, or what?

As discussed earlier in the thread, I have similar HW fit & finish issues on my 2020 GC6/TE, but I consider them mild. Wondering if I should contact corporate BW like you did, or raise the issue with my local dealer again first - I’d like to preserve a good relationship with the local guy, who is a nice hard working dude, but maybe not as talented/experienced/meticulous as some of the well known mechanics who post here on AZB. Time is $$ for him and I feel like my issues are mostly minor/cosmetic, and perhaps I’m being too whiney, and missed my window by not calling this stuff out immediately post install. However, I didn’t know then what I know now, and it sort of still rankles me 1.5 yrs later… especially knowing you got in touch with BW and they sorted it out for you. Any thoughts? Am I beyond my statute of limitations, lol?

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Hey, can you share a bit more about how exactly BW resolved your hardware problems? Did they send the original local dealer to your home again, or did they put you in touch with a different mechanic, or what?

As discussed earlier in the thread, I have similar HW fit & finish issues on my 2020 GC6/TE, but I consider them mild. Wondering if I should contact corporate BW like you did, or raise the issue with my local dealer again first - I’d like to preserve a good relationship with the local guy, who is a nice hard working dude, but maybe not as talented/experienced/meticulous as some of the well known mechanics who post here on AZB. Time is $$ for him and I feel like my issues are mostly minor/cosmetic, and perhaps I’m being too whiney, and missed my window by not calling this stuff out immediately post install. However, I didn’t know then what I know now, and it sort of still rankles me 1.5 yrs later… especially knowing you got in touch with BW and they sorted it out for you. Any thoughts? Am I beyond my statute of limitations, lol?
Does this answer your question?

WARRANTY INFORMATION

We are proud to stand behind every product that carries the Brunswick name, and guarantee our products for quality in materials and workmanship.

BRUNSWICK PRODUCT

YOUR WARRANTY AUTOMATICALLY BECOMES EFFECTIVE UPON PURCHASE. PLEASE READ ALL THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE WARRANTY. THIS WARRANTY IS EFFECTIVE ON PRODUCTS MANUFACTURED AFTER JANUARY OF 1998. Note: you must be the original owner or purchaser and will be required to show proof of purchase to qualify.

Register your Brunswick Billiards product online

Unless expressly stated otherwise herein, this Warranty Agreement ("Warranty") is made to the original Buyer only and is not transferable.

BILLIARD TABLES

Brunswick Billiards ("Brunswick") hereby warrants that its billiards tables will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for as long as the table is owned by the original owner. See separate warranty for cloth and cushion rubber below.

phreaticus

Does this answer your question?

WARRANTY INFORMATION

We are proud to stand behind every product that carries the Brunswick name, and guarantee our products for quality in materials and workmanship.

BRUNSWICK PRODUCT

YOUR WARRANTY AUTOMATICALLY BECOMES EFFECTIVE UPON PURCHASE. PLEASE READ ALL THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE WARRANTY. THIS WARRANTY IS EFFECTIVE ON PRODUCTS MANUFACTURED AFTER JANUARY OF 1998. Note: you must be the original owner or purchaser and will be required to show proof of purchase to qualify.

Register your Brunswick Billiards product online

Unless expressly stated otherwise herein, this Warranty Agreement ("Warranty") is made to the original Buyer only and is not transferable.

BILLIARD TABLES

Brunswick Billiards ("Brunswick") hereby warrants that its billiards tables will be free from defects in materials and workmanship for as long as the table is owned by the original owner. See separate warranty for cloth and cushion rubber below.

Yes I guess it does. Thx