Brunswicks New K pattern Slate!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I know other companies have done this for a while, Happy to announce Brunswick answered a prayer from me: They FINALLY started using the K pattern slates, no more upholstering anymore than we need to , SEE HOW EASY THIS CORNER POCKET WAS???? No folds or cuffs. YUP THAT IS SIMONIS 860 HR.

TFT

PS THAT IS USING STAPLES and ZERO ADHESIVE :)

Attachments

• 335cead6e00ed67d42081a77e4cec426796da75f-1.jpg
    335cead6e00ed67d42081a77e4cec426796da75f-1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
Brunswick always used "K" pattern slate. K refers to the size and hole pattern. The radius cut backs are similar to Olhousen. It does make closing the pockets much easier. Good looking pocket work after the excess is trimmed. No need for cuffs on those slates!

Jay

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Brunswick always used "K" pattern slate. K refers to the size and hole pattern. The radius cut backs are similar to Olhousen. It does make closing the pockets much easier. Good looking pocket work after the excess is trimmed. No need for cuffs on those slates!

Jay
Doesn't the cuff also keep the cloth from tearing if the object ball bounces off of the back of the pocket and into the face of the shelf?

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

Jay
I have never seen this slate before on a brunswick, i just called it that because someone in the warehouse called it that. I work hard to make the pocket work look nice, this makes it far easier!!!
What can we name it to identify it is natural progress!! You have tons of time in the bizz, what do you think?

TFT

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Doesn't the cuff also keep the cloth from tearing if the object ball bounces off of the back of the pocket and into the face of the shelf?
on a new set of slates: NO. Old beat up stuff, I agree 100% and it looks awesome too! I have spent more hours doing the french fold than I want to admit, even worse: I even did em on tables that were not worth the time.... :) I will always use the french fold or the cuffs when needd tho!

TFT

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
The French folds or cuffs are really a needed when doing a Diamond or other slates that are over an inch in thickness. on unbacked or one inch if you can pull your pie cuts under the slates and staple upwards you can get away without them, IMHO. The new squared off pockets from Brunswick make this task much easier.

Jay

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Here is my best example :)
Using the gray pipe hdx pipe strapping. Thanks RKC!

TFT

Attachments

• 72462110_10220912372542023_8536997689852690432_n.jpg
    72462110_10220912372542023_8536997689852690432_n.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 193

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I heard good things about that video. I was going to buy it when I set my table up. Thank you Sheldon
They are great videos, does a great job explaining everything. One thing, if you are using 860HR, a "full stretch" (you'll get it when you watch the video) is pretty damn hard of a pull. The cloth is excellent, but the weave on the HR takes some real muscle on the full stretch section. Think of the cloth as a sheet of rubber you're trying to pull flat on the slate. On my second install I did a much better job because I realized it's about "feeling" the weave of the cloth and getting it to react how you want. Observation and feel for the weave goes a long way. 860HR is a tougher cloth than the one used in the video so in the video you can't really judge the stretch by how much force the instructor is using by watching, you have to get a feel for 860HR and understand what a full stretch is for that particular cloth.

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
Glen does an excellent job of explaining how to establish the proper index for "you" at the beginning of the bed cloth DVD. He clamped down one side of the width of the cloth, then I stretched it 2.25 inches from the opposite side. We marked that point. Then relaxed the stretch by 3/4 of an inch. That left 1.5 inch side to side to mark our index from the side of the slate. We intentionally made the stretch index light enough for anybody to use. I prefer a 2 inch side to side stretch. Glen made a good point at that time, He and I have very strong hands from doing this work for many years. We didn't want to publish something that people would struggle to repeat.

The key is to allow enough slack in your pockets and install the cloth as a rectangle to get your best results. The ability to reproduce good results
time and time again is the goal.

Jay

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Still need to work on making it cleaner looking.
Thanks for bringing the technique to the table!! I have had older clients who have never seen a pocket finished like that in their life, you know they will look at every pocket they ever see again!
It just makes everything look so clean. No matter how the pocket is done, it should show that you care... I am blessed to be where I am with my business and career in this industry. I know I am not perfect or the best, but, I try my ass off and I prove it all by going the extra mile for my customer. AT THE END OF THE DAY ITS ALL ABOUT THEM... DO UNTO OTHERS.

TFT

Last edited: