Buying a cue and I don't know what I'm doing!

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This could be embarrassing but luckily for me I have no shame. I have been playing pool for the past 22 years and have owned two cues, both of them Sneaky Petes, both used. I also bought them because "I like the way they felt".

I currently shoot with a Ted Harris that I bought off a late buddy 10+ years ago, and another friend loaned me break and jump cues recently because he got sick of watching me break with my playing cue!

Truthfully, I don't know anything about cues. I can't tell you how many times people have proudly shown me their new cues or cues they just bought/won and all I have to offer is "nice", or "cool design". Sometimes I'll even hit a ball or two with them but I am just wasting my time and theirs doing that...or maybe I am just curious as to how it feels when I hit a ball.

Some cues are obvious crap to me...like the stuff you find in Sports Authority etc., but I can recognize a beautiful cue when I see one.

Why do I mention all of this? Well, I see people all the time thumbing through cue magazines and talking for hours about their cues. They'll take it apart, discuss the joint, ferrule, how many points are on it, when they bought it and so on, but to me, after a while, it all seems to amount to the same thing...how much deflection does the thing have?

So if I wanted to buy a new cue for myself I have no idea as to which brand I should use (Meucci, Cuetech, Black Boar, Lucasi and so on). I just go by feel and if the damned thing hits straight or not.

I have spent so many years "making do" with what I have that my purchase would probably boil down to price, look and feel. And no, I won't be discussing the joints...:)
 
Buying Cue

I don't know where you are in the country, but you may want to go to cue maker and talk to them as well as hit with as many cues as you can. I agree there is a large difference in cues so take your time, check out prices, etc Hope this helps BTW I sugest Jerico cues, Jerry builds a great cue and knows his stuff when talking to the player his number 325-893-2393 (yes I play with a Jerico)
 
I love my Jacoby cue, and I've played with many others before it. Dave sat down with me and made suggestions with my design, most of which I went with. I received updates and pictures during the building process, and they were always patient with me if I called with a change. I highly suggest them, whether you buy an already made cue or wish to have them build a custom design for you!

www.jacobycue.com

Tele 800.461.6066
 
inside_english said:
This could be embarrassing but luckily for me I have no shame. I have been playing pool for the past 22 years and have owned two cues, both of them Sneaky Petes, both used. I also bought them because "I like the way they felt".

I currently shoot with a Ted Harris that I bought off a late buddy 10+ years ago, and another friend loaned me break and jump cues recently because he got sick of watching me break with my playing cue!

Truthfully, I don't know anything about cues. I can't tell you how many times people have proudly shown me their new cues or cues they just bought/won and all I have to offer is "nice", or "cool design". Sometimes I'll even hit a ball or two with them but I am just wasting my time and theirs doing that...or maybe I am just curious as to how it feels when I hit a ball.

Some cues are obvious crap to me...like the stuff you find in Sports Authority etc., but I can recognize a beautiful cue when I see one.

Why do I mention all of this? Well, I see people all the time thumbing through cue magazines and talking for hours about their cues. They'll take it apart, discuss the joint, ferrule, how many points are on it, when they bought it and so on, but to me, after a while, it all seems to amount to the same thing...how much deflection does the thing have?

So if I wanted to buy a new cue for myself I have no idea as to which brand I should use (Meucci, Cuetech, Black Boar, Lucasi and so on). I just go by feel and if the damned thing hits straight or not.

I have spent so many years "making do" with what I have that my purchase would probably boil down to price, look and feel. And no, I won't be discussing the joints...:)
Since you already have been playing with a quality made cue, you have to ask yourself what and why you are buying a new cue.

What don't you like about your cue now in terms of feel, grip/wrap balance, weight, taper? What do you like.

And certainly not trivial, but you should ask yourself if you want a better looking or different looking cue. In my opinion, it's an important decision. Just like buying a car, even if you buy an inexpensive car, you'd still rather that it looked nice. Sure it's a mental thing, but nobody should say that it's a bad thing.

Fred
 
Doing your homework can reap rewards at the end when you find a cue that plays the way you like, from a well respected maker that will stand behind their product.

Seems like you are getting an idea as to what type of 'hit' you are looking for, and that is a great step towards finding a cue you will be happy with. Now, you need to do a little bit more research and find a maker that makes cues with the playability you are looking for. The key here is to find one who has a reputation for consistent playability throughout their cues, no matter the joint type or woods used.

If you go with ordering direct from the maker, you will need to address joint type. I used to be strictly a wood/wood joint fan...but have recently had that notion completely dashed with two SS jointed cues I have played with, that actually 'feel' like I am playing with a wood/wood jointed cue. Be prepared to have an open mind.

Shaft taper, ferrule, and tip are going to play a huge roll....in that order, IMHO. If you have or have found a cue that plays extremely well for you...and have narrowed down a maker, one who is close to you can makes things even nicer, you can take that cue to him and he can replicate that taper for you...or he may well have one of his own that is very similar. The more info of what you like you can convey to the maker, the happier you will be with the finished product.

Choosing the right maker is also key. You want to find one who is willing to work with you, and is good at keeping the dialog open throughout the process. You also want one who is going to stand behind their work...customer service is key. You may find that you have to pay a little more, but the peace of mind is worth it's weight in gold....trust me on this one. You will get what you pay for.

A suggestion to help you along would be that while you are out trying out different cues, carry a little notebook with you. Then you can write down the maker of the cue, a brief description, joint type, shaft taper (if you know it) ferrule type and tip...and then a brief assessment of your impressions. In this way, you can go back over your notes, and narrow down those likes and dislikes. It will go a LONG way in helping you to make a much more informed decision...good for you, good for the maker.

BTW, there is no such thing as a stupid question...ask about points, wraps, inlays, joints, ferrules, tips, pins sizes...everything you can think of....from either those you have been observing or in the 'Ask The Cue Makers' forum located elsewhere here on AZ. Make little notations as to the answers in your notebook. Before you realize it, you will be a much more informed player and buyer.


Or...you could do it the way many of us here have done it...buy and play and sell until you find that ever elusive 'holy grail' cue. It could be fun, but it will also be a bit more costly over the years. :thud:

I hope that at least some of this helps!

Lisa <====== pretty darn happy with her cues right now...after over 10 years of searching. :joyful:
 
Last edited:
Hello,

I very much advocate choosing a cue based on feel. I have tried out many cues, and from that, developed an idea of which brands I would want to own. I knew I didn't like the soft hit of a Meucci, the McDermott was balanced funny, etc.

I know a lot of people suggested to sit down with a cuemaker and have him make you a cue. I think this is more important if you are more concerned with the design or look of a cue. I say, pick on feel again and this is why.

I once sat down with Bobby Hunter in 97 and spelled out what I wanted in a cue. He had just started a new design I liked of ivory curly q's, and I picked purple heart as the main wood. I knew that I wanted a Hunter cue because I had been playing with a Southwest previous to that which had a stiff hit, and I felt like his cues played more of that same way.

In the end, he finished the cue, and I tried playing with it for about two months. I really didn't like it. I felt like it played a little softer and not as "crisp" as I would have liked. I ended up hitting some balls with a cue stick that he had made which was his own playing cue, and loved that one instead. I have been playing with that cue for 11 years.

tinacue3.jpg
<----That's the cue stick!

The point is, I would hate someone to make me a cue of my specifications, and then it not work for me. I would rather go to a cuemaker's shop, and hit with a lot of cues, and find one that way. If you end up walking out the door empty handed after three hours, that's ok. He'll appreciate that you chose him to look for your new cue, even if it didn't work out. Believe me, it is much better to walk out after three hours, then to have to awkwardly return a cue built on your specifications.

It does work out for people all the time to order a cue, and love it upon receiving it. If that is how you want to get your new cue, again, just make sure that you have hit some balls with other cue sticks he has made to determine if you like how his line of cues hits with in the first place.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all the helpful information! I do know a respected cuemaker but quite simply cannot afford his cues. He no longer makes cues for less than $5,000 (that's right, five thousand dollars) and I cannot justify that cost given where I am financially, and where my game is in respect to the rest of my life.

I do live about 500 yeards from another respected cuemaker's shop so I might look him up. Truth be told, I don't want to spend more than $1,000, and there isn't anything wrong with my current cue, it's just the only one I have. Were it to become damaged I'd be up a creek for a while.

Thanks again.
 
girlwon1 said:
Hello,

I very much advocate choosing a cue based on feel. I have tried out many cues, and from that, developed an idea of which brands I would want to own. I knew I didn't like the soft hit of a Meucci, the McDermott was balanced funny, etc.

I know a lot of people suggested to sit down with a cuemaker and have him make you a cue. I think this is more important if you are more concerned with the design or look of a cue. I say, pick on feel again and this is why.

I once sat down with Bobby Hunter in 97 and spelled out what I wanted in a cue. He had just started a new design I liked of ivory curly q's, and I picked purple heart as the main wood. I knew that I wanted a Hunter cue because I had been playing with a Southwest previous to that which had a stiff hit, and I felt like his cues played more of that same way.

In the end, he finished the cue, and I tried playing with it for about two months. I really didn't like it. I felt like it played a little softer and not as "crisp" as I would have liked. I ended up hitting some balls with a cue stick that he had made which was his own playing cue, and loved that one instead. I have been playing with that cue for 11 years.

tinacue3.jpg
<----That's the cue stick!

The point is, I would hate someone to make me a cue of my specifications, and then it not work for me. I would rather go to a cuemaker's shop, and hit with a lot of cues, and find one that way. If you end up walking out the door empty handed after three hours, that's ok. He'll appreciate that you chose him to look for your new cue, even if it didn't work out. Believe me, it is much better to walk out after three hours, then to have to awkwardly return a cue built on your specifications.

It does work out for people all the time to order a cue, and love it upon receiving it. If that is how you want to get your new cue, again, just make sure that you have hit some balls with other cue sticks he has made to determine if you like how his line of cues hits with in the first place.


You make some very valid points here. I believe this is where people need to learn about the playing characteristics of different woods. As you have eloquently pointed out...and a point I meant to touch on...while the overall playability may be consistent with a particular maker's cues...the combinations of woods used, as well as the shaft taper, ferrule, and tip..will cause differences in 'feel'.

I have owned twice now, two cues from each maker I have commissioned cues from. Each cue was basically the same specs, weight and balance...but of differing woods. In the case of the first two...the 'feel' was like night and day...completely different. In the case of the second two...while much, much, much closer to one another with regards to playability...the 'feel' was slightly different. One cue was bocote, which has a slightly softer 'feel', and the other is of a rosewood, which has a slightly crisper 'feel'.

It is often felt that a curly maple forearm will produce a softer 'feel' than that of a BEM forearm. I have also compared a PH cue and a rosewood cue from the same local maker. While I liked the PH cue....the rosewood edged it out for me with regards to it just 'felt' better to me for my playing style.

I believe that when considering ordering a cue, that people really need to do their 'homework' with regards to all aspects of the cue...wood combinations is one of them. While many feel that the shaft and it's taper may be one of the most important aspects...the woods used in the butt does play into the overall performance.

A cue is the sum of it's parts...when the right combination of it's parts is found, with regards to one's playing style...it is a thing to behold. And it is not nearly as easy as it sounds...LoL.

Lisa
 
inside_english said:
Thanks for all the helpful information! I do know a respected cuemaker but quite simply cannot afford his cues. He no longer makes cues for less than $5,000 (that's right, five thousand dollars) and I cannot justify that cost given where I am financially, and where my game is in respect to the rest of my life.

I do live about 500 yeards from another respected cuemaker's shop so I might look him up. Truth be told, I don't want to spend more than $1,000, and there isn't anything wrong with my current cue, it's just the only one I have. Were it to become damaged I'd be up a creek for a while.

Thanks again.


You can get a very nice playing cue for $1K...so no worries there. You may not be able to get all the fancy bells and whistles that you want, but you should be able to get a very well crafted, excellent playing cue.

Think of a visit to a maker as similar to that of going to see a physician...you want to make sure you give each as much information as possible, so that they can do their job in doing what is best for you.

Lisa
 
if you've already got 22 years under your belt with the same equipment i think you should stick with it. you know it so well that i don't think it'd be worth it to throw your game off switching cues
 
You need to start with the money. How much are you willing to pay. This will certanly limit your choices. Then discribe the Q you are playing with. Find the centerpoint, by balancing the Q on your finger. Then measure that point from the end of the BUTT CAP. That will tell us whether you like a Q with a forward balance or rearward or neutral balance. Then you need to weigh your Q. A simple postal scale will be close enough. Then you need to find out what size DIAMETER the ferrule is, just behind the tip ( put a piece of masking tape around it & mark it. then lay it out & measure the length)...JER
 
girlwon1 said:
The point is, I would hate someone to make me a cue of my specifications, and then it not work for me. I would rather go to a cuemaker's shop, and hit with a lot of cues, and find one that way. .
I think this is really a great idea Tina, and a point that a lot of cue buyers should take note.

The whole "build to my specifications" can be either a good thing or an absolute disaster. It's confirmation knowing several players who own custom built cues that play with a cue (as their main cue) that they didn't specify the particulars.

Fred
 
Stick with Ted Harris-get yours refinished or new shafts made if that's the issue. I have all kinds of high end cues Searing, Haley, Szamboti etc. Just can't make the adjustment. Whatever you do don't sell the Harris before you get used to the new cue if you buy another. Nobody should be telling you to go with another maker if you're happy with the way this one plays. If you want to sell it contact me. But please consider this before you do.
 
Try Shawn Putnam

Ted Harris makes a nice sneeky. I have had a couple and respect his work. You might try sending a PM to Shawn Putnam. Being in the top few players in the nation and being a cuemaker puts him in a pretty good position to help you make a good choice. He will work with your preferences to build you sumething sweet.
 
inside_english said:
I currently shoot with a Ted Harris

I have spent so many years "making do" with what I have that my purchase would probably boil down to price, look and feel. And no, I won't be discussing the joints...:)

BTW Ted Harris makes a great playing cue you would be hard pressed to find anything better. I wouldn't call that making do.
 
Find a cue that feels good and forget about deflection. After 22 years of playing with a regular shaft you already know how to play.
 
jasonlaus said:
BTW Ted Harris makes a great playing cue you would be hard pressed to find anything better. I wouldn't call that making do.
When I said "making do" I was not referring to the Ted Harris cues, but the plethora of house cues I have used over the years during those times I did not own a cue. Now THAT'S making do...:)

Also, no one is to trying to influence my decision. I just thought it would be nice to have another stick. I actually like the one I have and am quite used to it as you can imagine (I can jump with it too).

I am not interested in "pretty" cues with fancy designs. While it may be aesthetically pleasing to most, it lacks practicality, especially when the price seems to go up exponentially because of the artwork.

I once thought about a Lucasi (about 15 years ago) and this guy gave me a lecture on how this was a bad decision.

But that was a long time ago, and I'm a big boy now. Thanks again to all for the great tips and information.
 
inside_english said:
When I said "making do" I was not referring to the Ted Harris cues, but the plethora of house cues I have used over the years during those times I did not own a cue. Now THAT'S making do...:)

Also, no one is to trying to influence my decision. I just thought it would be nice to have another stick. I actually like the one I have and am quite used to it as you can imagine (I can jump with it too).

I am not interested in "pretty" cues with fancy designs. While it may be aesthetically pleasing to most, it lacks practicality, especially when the price seems to go up exponentially because of the artwork.

I once thought about a Lucasi (about 15 years ago) and this guy gave me a lecture on how this was a bad decision.

But that was a long time ago, and I'm a big boy now. Thanks again to all for the great tips and information.

I Understand.
 
Back
Top