"C" Player uses "Feel" to beat the ghost 9-1

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Here is a test for anyone thinking that their stroke is as straight as O'Sullivans. Set up a long, straight, diagonal shot straight in to a corner pocket ( preferably on a snooker table) but a 9foot pool table is ok too. Shoot a hard follow shot and follow the object ball into the pocket with the cueball (scratch in the same pocket). How did you do? Even if you place the cueball fairly close to the object ball and aiming is no longer an issue many people will still struggle, especially with power shots. On a snooker table, because of distance and pocket size, the difficulty is amplified many times, yet snooker pros can do this regularly.

Got a video of any snooker player doing this regularly?

I agree that being able to do it is indicative of the following things, accurate aiming, being able to hit the cue ball accurately, and a straight stroke.

This is one of the things that you do see great pool players being able to do a lot as they will often set up these shots and draw the cue ball back into the pocket below them which essentially is the same feat.

That's not how it works. You claim it didn't happen so bet on it.

I did no such thing. I said "Video, or it didn't happen". Perfectly reasonable.

So have you got the video of you completing this momentous feat or not? All of it, I mean. Not you getting to the money ball then having a power cut, or the dog eating your videotape or whatever.

To the op: good shooting.:)

Regarding the stroke debate: The point about beeing able to stroke the ball like Ronnie O'Sullivan is absurd. It would probably be possible in a way to mimic the actial mechanics of how he holds the cue, holds the elbow etc. But to get an equally straight stroke, forget it. I think many people who have no experience on the snooker table underestimate the exactness required in a straight snooker stroke. Snooker players fokus extremely hard on the mechanics of their stroke and to claim to replicate one of the best in the game in a matter of months is a complete joke.:angry:

O'Sullivan can stroke the ball laser straight at ALL speeds, and he times the ball perfectly every time (almost). You can't separate the timing from the stroke, straightness and timing (and speed control) is what a stroke is. The genious of O'Sullivan is the perfection of all these aspects of the stroke, along with his creativity and knowledge. In pool you can play ok with a little bit of twist in your stroke, but in snooker you would be murdered.

Yes,
there are people whose stroke is as straight as O'Sullivans but they worked on it for years and years, not months. I'm not claiming snooker is a superior game or anything like that, but the fundamentals ARE more important in snooker.

Barton is going to prove you wrong. In about three and a half weeks.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
O'Sullivan can stroke the ball laser straight at ALL speeds, and he times the ball perfectly every time (almost). You can't separate the timing from the stroke, straightness and timing (and speed control) is what a stroke is. The genious of O'Sullivan is the perfection of all these aspects of the stroke, along with his creativity and knowledge. In pool you can play ok with a little bit of twist in your stroke, but in snooker you would be murdered.

People here don't believe in timing. Believe it or not.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Actually I chose this test because timing does not enter into it. Sure, having good timing makes it easier but if you hit the cueball where you intend to in the vertical and horizontal plane (straight) the timing does not matter, you should make it. I actually practised this shot a lot, shooting the blue from its spot when I played snooker. My fundamentals at the time were no where near good enough to do it with regularity, and I eventually gave up. My high run was 51 in regular play, which probably makes me a "c" snooker player.

Edit: actually the skill levels in snooker is not easily transferable to pool. The difference between a 50 and 70 ball runner is enourmous and a 70 ball and 100 ball runner are equally far apart. The pros in snooker are unreal. at any time there are probably a couple of
hundred guys who run 100s all the time yet have absolutely no chance against the top pros.The pros run hundreds like its nothing.

Agreed on the skill levels. But this has many factors as to why a person is lower in skill. Not just the stroke. My point was and is that a lower level player can have a picture perfect stroke just like Ronnie's and still not get there.

Timing, fading pressure, focus, aiming and shot choices are all factors in performance that come along WITH the stroke to determine how well a person does.

I did no such thing. I said "Video, or it didn't happen". Perfectly reasonable.

So have you got the video of you completing this momentous feat or not? All of it, I mean. Not you getting to the money ball then having a power cut, or the dog eating your videotape or whatever.

The phrase video or it didn't happen is cute but doesn't actually mean that something didn't happen. I could see you getting challenging if I said I beat the 10 ball ghost ten ahead but surely you could not call me a liar over the four ball ghost. It's perfectly reasonable to assume that if I said I did it then I did it.

But if you want to carry on this way then bet on whether I did or not and I will either upload the video or lose the bet.

Barton is going to prove you wrong. In about three and a half weeks.

How so? Are you NOW saying that there is more to it than the mechanics of the stroke? More to it than SIMPLY making a cue start at A and go straight through B?

People here don't believe in timing. Believe it or not.

Who said that and where? I haven't seen a single person here say that they don't believe in timing.

It's actually something that we should talk about more, what exactly is it? The pause at the end of the backswing?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You can only talk about timing when you can cue a ball. Otherwise, it's a waste of breath.

What does cue a ball mean? In the USA we don't use the word cue as a verb. Do you mean stroke the cue?

Or do you mean hit the ball in a straight line?

why don't you write a book? The British Guide to Playing Pool. With translations please.